Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the lack of electrically-folding mirrors a big problem?

Is the lack of electrically-folding mirrors a big problem?

• YES! I will have to fold in my mirror(s) by hand every time.

Votes: 43 21.6%
  • Not absolutely necessary, but would use it if equipped.

Votes: 88 44.2%
  • I have no use for it, manual folding is fine for me.

Votes: 68 34.2%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
nothing ever ices up when you're driving, only before when it is standing.

Not to bash a fellow Canuck, but that is simply not true. Last winter alone there were two episodes I can recall where freezing rain iced up my mirrors while driving (albeit in stop & go traffic due to the horrible conditions, but the effect is the same).

I had to keep my defrost on full time (in my G37 the mirrors heat up when the rear defroster is on), since both the rear window and the mirrors would re-ice after a few minutes of the timer turning them off. Fans with heaters going full tilt, etc...

Not a pleasant drive, but I had no choice...

Granted this does not happen often, and I certainly do not imply that this is something everyone needs, even in Canada.

That being said, Montrealers FTW !

The Montreal-ers had me starting to think I was nuts for not thinking heated mirrors were a must.

:biggrin:

Last edited:
Is it a BIG deal or deal breaker ? I will not compromise my driving experience just to buy an electric car. BUT I hope that I can get an electric car without compromising my driving experience.

Yeah, but for some of us who have driven EVs for a while, really, really feel that driving anything other than electric is too great a compromise of our driving experience. Everything else, even in multiples, is not a "big deal".

Good news everyone! A representative from Tesla got back to me today - turns out the side mirrors ARE in fact heated.
If I may quote him, "The mirrors on Model S will be heated if you opt for the Nappa Leather (this is tied to the heated seats and memory functions that are included with the Nappa Leather package)."

That is indeed good news, but I find it unfortunate that those who dislike leather lose out on this feature...

Thank you for the follow-up!

Granted this does not happen often, and I certainly do not imply that this is something everyone needs, even in Canada.

Weather in Ottawa is pretty much the same as Montreal, and I still say heated mirrors are "nice to have". Sure, we've all seen days with ridiculous weather, but that's pretty rare. The more common problem is that they're iced up before you need to drive, and the heaters aren't powerful enough to melt them out in a reasonable amount of time. You need to scrape anyway. But it's moot because apparently the Model S has them.

Yay! It's good to hear about the heated mirrors. Like others are saying, it's not absolutely necessary, but it's very convenient if you ever have to park your car outside for hours in freezing weather.

Not to bash a fellow Canuck, but that is simply not true. Last winter alone there were two episodes I can recall where freezing rain iced up my mirrors while driving (albeit in stop & go traffic due to the horrible conditions, but the effect is the same).

That being said, Montrealers FTW !

:biggrin:

Ah, I see. In Manitoba we drive in crummy winter weather all the time, no stop & go here! ;) Except for the first snowfall of the year, then everyone hits the ditch. :p

Seriously though, one difference may be that we don't get the same kind of ice-storms you do out East, it pretty much stays as snow due to our consistently cool temperatures.

I know all is bigger in America;-), but in Europe I would guess that a seemingly small issue like not having (power) retractable side mirrors may seriously affect the Tesla sales - when it becomes known to potential Tesla owners. Given the width of the Model S, it will have serious problems fitting into the (smaller, European) public parking spaces and (especially) the allotted spaces in parking houses (car parks), as well as many private garages. And even if your are able to squeeze the car in, it would of course be advantageous if you were able to open the door without smashing into the car beside you. I live in Norway, which supposedly is Tesla's biggest market outside the US, due i.a. to the extremely high prices on "usual" cars and tax exemption on electric cars, but also due to electric cars having free public parking in the big cities. Retractable side mirrors seem to be decisive for being able to use those (free) spaces, and consequently a vital selling point (not to say it would save me the annual USD 7000 I currently spend on parking).
So, a vote for retractable side mirrors from me (seriously re-evaluating my reservation)!

Width (Mirrors Extended): 86.2"
Width (Mirrors Folded): 77.3"

http://www.teslamotors.com/models/specs

(gulp) Um, thanks. (blush) I read the thread and forgot to check out the site to see if it listed the mirrors-folded width. Yeah that'll work for me. Now I'm torn...ugh. I will have to vote "not necessary but will use if equipped." It would fit in with them folded and I don't want to fold them every day, but I hesitate to say it's a big problem. Plus I have to get the magic charger installed anyway, so maybe I'll just install it near the door and cut a hole in the garage door.... Haven't really thought it through!

Anyway, thanks, gmontem!

I agree with you. I live in Rome (Italy) where the streets are not so big and it is necessary to fold mirrors often. I hope that at least for European market Tesla Model S will be available with folding mirrors.
Currently, they fold manually; we've heard at one of Get Amped drives (Seattle?) that adding power-folding mirrors is high on the list of modifications.