Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the lack of electrically-folding mirrors a big problem?

Is the lack of electrically-folding mirrors a big problem?

• YES! I will have to fold in my mirror(s) by hand every time.

Votes: 43 21.6%
  • Not absolutely necessary, but would use it if equipped.

Votes: 88 44.2%
  • I have no use for it, manual folding is fine for me.

Votes: 68 34.2%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree with you guys. I just sent Tesla an email request for a power-retractable heated mirror. I suggest each of you send them some feedback too - if they get enough pressure, perhaps they will come up with something by the time Canadian Production starts. Wishful thinking I know, but it's worth a shot...

I agree that heated mirrors are necessary for driving is really cold weather. Foldable, yes is needed if you have a narrow parking space or garage. These should be made optional items for Tesla to keep their price point where it needs to be.

I live in Central Coastal California. I need a heated mirror about maybe once a year, but other areas of the country are not so fortunate with the weather and need this option.

I would likely not order folding mirrors if it were an option, but see it as a necessity for others.

While I suppose I was not surprised to learn of there existence, the first time I heard about power folding mirrors was on the offcial Tesla forums, when somebody was asking if they would be included. I guess they wouldn't be bad, but they don't seem that useful. I never fold the passenger side mirror, and I very, very occasionally fold the driver side mirror (while still sitting in the driver's seat) in order to clear a post or something that I am parking extremely close to.

Heated mirrors would be much more useful to me. I think that's a really nice feature. Still, on my current car, on the driver-side side mirror is heated and auto-dimming, and some how, I've managed to survive.

Although I would also appreciate heated mirrors, I haven't found it to be the massive problem others have described. In freezing rain conditions they don't tend to ice up if you're moving - that's what happens to the front of the mirrors. I once drove for four hours on the 401 in the midst of a ridiculous ice storm, and ended up with ice an inch thick across the front of the car, including the mirrors. But the mirrors themselves never iced up. (No I am not exaggerating about the inch thick part - everyone at work the next day was asking me what the heck happened to my car. It looked really bizarre.)

Also, I don't change lanes without shoulder-checking, regardless of how good the mirrors are.

Finally, I should point out that you can turn on the rear view camera while driving - and it's a nice big screen on the Model S.

Although I would also appreciate heated mirrors, I haven't found it to be the massive problem others have described. In freezing rain conditions they don't tend to ice up if you're moving - that's what happens to the front of the mirrors. I once drove for four hours on the 401 in the midst of a ridiculous ice storm, and ended up with ice an inch thick across the front of the car, including the mirrors. But the mirrors themselves never iced up. (No I am not exaggerating about the inch thick part - everyone at work the next day was asking me what the heck happened to my car. It looked really bizarre.)

Also, I don't change lanes without shoulder-checking, regardless of how good the mirrors are.

Finally, I should point out that you can turn on the rear view camera while driving - and it's a nice big screen on the Model S.

True for the backup camera (which may well be iced over too !).

My issue with freezing rain is not with highway, but city driving, which I do much more of. In lower speed conditions, the direction of the wind pushing the rain has often lead to the back of my side mirrors getting iced up.

Freezing rain is not that frequent, but it is one of the most dangerous types of weather to be driving in, and you need everything your car can give you to maintain visibility.

The Montreal-ers had me starting to think I was nuts for not thinking heated mirrors were a must. I don't think I've ever had mirrors ice up while driving. (Sure they get covered in snow/ice when the car is parked but that doesn't make it a must have situation for me.)

The Montreal-ers had me starting to think I was nuts for not thinking heated mirrors were a must. I don't think I've ever had mirrors ice up while driving. (Sure they get covered in snow/ice when the car is parked but that doesn't make it a must have situation for me.)

It is for me. I will never ever get my wife to agree to buy a car without heated mirrors, so she would need to scrape them manually before driving away in the morning (we park outside).

Now, electrically folding would be nice. Heated seats nice but not neccessary. Heated mirrors: neccessary.

But I don't plan to get one for another two years anyway (have a 8 month old Leaf now) so hopefully they will have sorted out stuff like this then. I also hope they will include memory with the cloth seats and some lighter cloth interior colors too.

I strongly suspect the mirrors are heated. The specs page doesn't say they are remotely adjustable either, but the features page mentions automatic setting mirror position based on your key fob. If you go looking at aftermarket car mirrors you'll find at least as many heated as not. It's a standard thing nowadays.

As far as folding goes, I too would very much like to have them. Since I got a Kia Sorento with folding mirrors last year I have come to love them. Makes it much easier to walk between cars in parking lots. Maybe you skinny-tailed folks don't appreciate it, but when the amply-tailed among us are trying to get to our cars across the lot every spare inch counts.

Is it a BIG deal or deal breaker ? No. But here is the deal for me. There are sooooo mannnny things that fall into this category that are not on the Model S that it makes it a deal breaker for me. I will not be purchasing until the next model that will be 3 series sized so it is my GREAT hope that these little things get added to the Model S quickly and can be easily placed in the next model or that will be a deal breaker for me then too. If I am buying a PREMIUM LUXURY car then I want all of the premium luxury features. Without them it is not the best car available which is what we have been hearing for the past 3-4 years. I understand slow ramp up of features and getting the basics right to start and then adding things later to make it nicer and agree with that philosophy but I will not be buying until this car is the best choice whether it is ICE or not. I will not compromise my driving experience just to buy an electric car. BUT I hope that I can get an electric car without compromising my driving experience.

I can understand that sentiment. But this is no different than any other potential early adoption scenario. It's why I wasn't interested in the first iPhone. Eventually, they added in the features that made it valuable to me.

That said, for me, the features they have now are enough to get me. Perhaps because I drive a Volt and since going EV, cannot go back. And the "features missing" are not dealbreakers to me, individually or in sum because of the enormous value I put in the EV drivetrain (over the ICE drivetrain).

Good news everyone! A representative from Tesla got back to me today - turns out the side mirrors ARE in fact heated.
If I may quote him, "The mirrors on Model S will be heated if you opt for the Nappa Leather (this is tied to the heated seats and memory functions that are included with the Nappa Leather package)."

Good news everyone! A representative from Tesla got back to me today - turns out the side mirrors ARE in fact heated.
If I may quote him, "The mirrors on Model S will be heated if you opt for the Nappa Leather (this is tied to the heated seats and memory functions that are included with the Nappa Leather package)."
"hot"

I've never had a car with heated sideview mirrors, and I've had no issues ever. In Winnipeg.
I keep my car in a garage, and always have a scraper with me if necessary - nothing ever ices up when you're driving, only before when it is standing. And you always have the rear HD camera!

*edit: I guess I should read all 4 pages before commenting. In other words, I agree with Doug_G.

Last edited: