Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the Model S water tight?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Someone tell me if I'm being unreasonable here.

I've experienced two leaks from the passenger rear window; see the picture above. Exact same location both times, and both times at a touchless car wash. Tesla service has been unable to pinpoint the leak. Tesla is advising that the car should be hand washed every time it needs to be cleaned.

Am I to believe that the Model S is designed in such a way that it cannot handle a touchless car wash without leaking? I know tons of people who make their livings off detailing automobiles and they all use pressure washers on cars -- cars with framed windows and frameless windows.

Is anyone else getting leaks from touchless washes?

No leaks from car washes using high pressure spray.

Tesla recommends you use "touchless" car washes, but some auto body places tell you that it's better to use some of the lower-pressure scrubbing washes (because high pressure grinds dirt into the paint, and the "scrubbing" washes don't use the 1970's scratchy brushes anymore, using a much safer material).

When I wash my Model S I always first go over it with my pressure washer and have not experienced any leaks around the windows. The only area I've had leaks is if I squirt water up under the license plate. I've also noticed water tends to collect on the lower left side of the hatchback window.

I've been through two touchless car washes recently with no leaks.

I don't know why I bothered, since the car was filthy again within a day, but that's a different problem :)

Salt removal.

I go through a touchless car wash pretty regularly for that reason alone. I have never had any leaks. The charge port door does tend to get frozen shut though.

It finally snowed here today and when I got home I found a dusting of snow in my frunk. Has anyone else experienced this issue with the front trunk seals?

The snow seem to get all over the plastic outside the frunk (snow piled up on the plastic by the windshied wiper fluid) and then inside the actual front trunk.

Last edited:
I've not had snow, but consistently have excessive dust and dirt around the outside of the seals when I open the frunk -- far more than I ever had in similar areas on my previous ICE and surrounding areas under the hood. I perhaps have a similar issue to what you're seeing -- on the upper area as you describe as well as under the front lip. The dirt and grime has not made its way inside my actual frunk cargo area however, so it's just another area I have learned to wipe down every time I wash my MS. Since my frunk cargo area is not effected, I wrote it off as just the way the MS is aerodynamically designed... sort of how excessive dirt also collects on top of the rear bumper under the trunk lid that needs special attention when drying. Appreciate the pointer about snow though -- I'll make a mental note in case I'm in that situation one day.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Had my P85 for over 3 years, and haven't seen any evidence that the frunk isn't sealed. If you're seeing anything leaking into the frunk, then it's a problem - and the service center should fix it.

Good luck. Please report back. Your conclusion may help someone else one day.

had my car in for service today. they said the hood was misaligned (asked if it had been in an accident, but the car has not) and realigned to fix. however when i got home today there is a little moisture around the front latch still. it's far better than before, but will see how it holds up when there is a heavy rain or snow again.

had my car in for service today. they said the hood was misaligned (asked if it had been in an accident, but the car has not) and realigned to fix. however when i got home today there is a little moisture around the front latch still. it's far better than before, but will see how it holds up when there is a heavy rain or snow again.
Thanks for reporting back. FWIW, I do get moisture under the frunk hood but OUTSIDE of the gasket. I just washed my MS this morning for the umpteenth time, and as always, had to dry those surrounding areas including around the front latch where it connects to the hood itself. I personally expect I'll always have moisture and dirt there the way it is designed, as I have on most of my other rides -- I don't expect I should have any moisture in the frunk storage area that is in the INSIDE of the gasket which touches the top of the hood like you did.