Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the Model Y the perfect EV.....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been waiting for a small ev suv with 300+ mile range, room for 5 adults, ability to charge 10%-80% in less than 30 minutes, awd. This car pretty much covers all the bases including the $50k price for me. The question is, will this car start the avalanche to ev conversion?

I have been waiting for a small ev suv with 300+ mile range, room for 5 adults, ability to charge 10%-80% in less than 30 minutes, awd. This car pretty much covers all the bases including the $50k price for me. The question is, will this car start the avalanche to ev conversion?

Might be a bit too expensive to start an avalanche, but it will certainly be a major contributor to EV growth. An “S’ curve is predicted in EV growth, but the elbow in the curve is looking like 2022, when there is a much greater battery supply, leading to a lower price point.

• Informative
Reactions: Vjacobs84
No, the perfect EV would among other features not lose up to 50% of range in really cold weather.

I don't know about 50%, but 40%, yes. ICE cars lose range too in super cold weather. But I don't think that any engineering can reverse physics. Just what they are. And that's why I wouldn't order a standard range (when offered) trim, because it would be 240 miles * .75 (10% to 85%), and then -40% for winter range, or 108 miles.

ICE vehicles also get worse range in really cold weather. They cold start up on a choke enrichened fuel mixture. The oil must be warmed up before it gets efficient. Cold tires in crunching snow and idleing till it warms up also wastes fuel.

Not as much as a EV, but we are ultra sensitive about maximizing our range.

Think we're still in the early adopter stage and the "avalanche" will not occur until driving EV becomes a "no da" decision kind of like having a smartphone over a flip phone. Two things to start the "avalanche", which I am guessing will start in US in earnest around 2030 (2025 bull case). 1) Cost parity. Electric cars are still too expensive. There need to be compelling options in the $20k-$30k. Someone looking for a reliable compact SUV can get a RAV4 for less than $30k. As much as I love my Teslas they are still for the most part for either the well off or people doing the Tesla stretch. I know you can get to cost parity after incentives, fuel and maintenance savings but most people don't think like that. 2) Ubiquitous charging infrastructure. Level 2s everywhere including street-side parking. No more youtube clips of Telsas lining up at Superchargers during Thanksgiving.

Of course if US government decides to ban ICE cars that would do the trick also.

Reactions: Bikeman
i think this is the beginning of the mass appeal. but it's still gonna take 3-5 more years. nearly every major car company, and a bunch of minor newbies, has EV's coming out. right now the tesla is too futuristic for most. but not long...