Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the new Macan EV a MY killer?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla has the first mover advantage, SC network and an ecosystem. Think of it like an iPhone. Once in, very difficult to move.

It is expensive for the company to sell low volume EVs. Porsche will lose money on every EV sale until the management pulls the plug. Or they will have to go all in on EV and shut down ICE.
ICE will be sold for a long time to come alongside EVs. And Porsche hasn’t invested billions to “pull the plug.” They will sell their architecture to other manufacturers.

This is really ignorant.

Wealth is often a result of recognizing value, quality for the dollars over quantity of the dollars. While it may be true some MY owners couldn’t afford a Porsche, that does not equate to most MY buyers, (what, by virtue of their having bought a MY..?)cannot afford one.
Finally, Macan is a *sugar* Porsche anyway.
This argument always comes up when talking about money on car forums. Yeah you might be a multimillionaire who has a bunch of money and investments but a low or non-existant income. That is not the norm. Most car buyers have relatively standard financial situations, and the median Y buyer (HHI ~150k) would not be able to afford a Macan. Median ICE Macan buyer on the other hand has a median HHI of $440k.

Other than the price (20-30k), the new Macan EV seems to be better in almost every way. Any MY owners consider switching?
THE NOT SO GOOD
Macan EV starts at 80K but with the performance of an entry-level Model 3.
The entry level version Macan is 50% more expensive than a MYLR, has less performance, and 40% less cabin space.
The entry level Macan has about the same range as the MYLR, again for 50% more cost.
Macan warranty is 8 years or 100,000 miles. Tesla is 8 years, UNLIMITED miles.

THE BETTER
Macan wheelbase is now longer, it's the same as the Cayenne and the Tesla MY.
The Macan EV suspension is adaptive air-ride.
Macan Turbo ($$$) will also offer some 4-wheel steering capability (not a big deal for a small car, but we're reaching)
Macan Turbo ($$$) will offer as much as 380 miles of range.
Macan interior appointments will be plush.

SUMMARY
It's a Porsche. They know their market - lux tech.
However, it's German, and Germans don't do electrics well. They do metal bashing VERY well.
Oh, and go ahead and find an 800V charger.....good luck! Charging rates are limited to the charging infrastructure available, not tech specs.

YOU MIGHT BE BETTER SERVED WAITING FOR THE AUDI e6 VERSION OF THE SAME PLATFORM.
Remember, Porsche, Audi, and VW are all the same family-owned entity.

NOTE
Porsche delivered 320,221 vehicles worldwide in 2023.
Low volume, high margin business model.
Tesla delivered 1.8M vehicles in 2023, at higher margins than Porsche.
Let that sink in.

Porsche does share some platforms and components with the VAG family but they tend to extensively modify and tune things to make it their own, especially the suspension. They also use their own transmissions (except the Cayenne uses a ZF8), differential/AWD systems, and up until the last 5-6 years they had their own V6 and V8s.

To call Porsches simply badge engineered VWs is a bit disingenuous. I don’t think anyone who has driven both the Q5 and Macan will say they drive or feel the same.

And as mentioned already, the new Macan EV is on a new dedicated EV platform (that will be shared with Audi), so no relation at all to the current Q8 e-tron (née e-tron SUV).

“Platform” in modern automotive parlance just refers to a highly modular standard set of components and mounting points etc. But it allows for a vast range of different vehicles of different sizes, different missions and different characteristics. It’s not the simple “badge engineering” days of the 90s and 00s. Eg a BMW M2 and X7 are on the same platform.

Yes, Porsche does have a lot of top tier vehicles that are not shared anywhere else in the line up, however since the mid 2010s, there are a whole lot more parts sharing than you would think. My SQ5 has many components that are interchangeable with that generation Macan. From suspension components all the way to interior bits. Multiple engines in the Macan are shared elsewhere. The EA888 which you know is shared up and down the VAG line up, the EA839 motor is in multiple Audis in both the 2.9 configuration and the 3.0L configuration. While Porsche does have its own feel and tuning compared to other VAG products that differentiate it, you can't say they aren't similar enough.

In the case of the Porsche EVs, yes the Taycan was first, but right behind it came the E-Tron RS from Audi which is mechanically the same car.

If they could retrofit a 993 with an electric motor and battery pack I’m not sure I’d be able to resist that but the Macan doesn’t seem that special to me…I actually think the Model Y is a more aesthetic car than the Macan and far more interesting. The build quality, while not Porsche perfect, is also really good; it surprises me every time I drive it.

Last edited:
If they could retrofit a 993 with an electric motor and battery pack I’m not sure I’d be able to resist that but the Macan doesn’t seem that special to me…I actually think the Model Y is a more aesthetic car than the Macan and far more interesting. The build quality, while not Porsche perfect, is also really good; it surprises me every time I drive it.
I question the judgment of anyone who thinks the Y is “aesthetic”. Unless you mean it has an egg aesthetic. Likewise on the build quality being “really good” for any Tesla.

The Cayman EV is what I’m looking forward to personally

I question the judgment of anyone who thinks the Y is “aesthetic”. Unless you mean it has an egg aesthetic. Likewise on the build quality being “really good” for any Tesla.

The Cayman EV is what I’m looking forward to personally
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder so no point arguing about that; I really like its design and its lines. But the build quality is undeniable. My car is incredibly solid even going over crappy Bay Area roads: no rattling whatsoever. I’m not sure if it’s the new casting process or the comfort suspension but whatever it is it’s working.

The Macan and the Cayenne are both pretty meh…Porsche should have stuck with sports cars

Reactions: evo9rs
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder so no point arguing about that; I really like its design and its lines. But the build quality is undeniable. My car is incredibly solid even going over crappy Bay Area roads: no rattling whatsoever. I’m not sure if it’s the new casting process or the comfort suspension but whatever it is it’s working.

The Macan and the Cayenne are both pretty meh…Porsche should have stuck with sports cars
Porsche would have died as a company by the early 00's without the move into Cayenne
check the unit sales volume 911/986 categories vs their SUVs

IMO neither are aesthetically pleasing, but unless your 2023 build is miles ahead of my 2022 MYLR have to strongly disagree on quality and comfort. I occasionally got a base macan loaner and it's just a better package overall than MY.

IMG_7724.png

Agree with the people saying they'd love a EV boxster/cayman tho, I miss my old 987.1 5MT

264391_2058454635007_2082511_n.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Mercimek
unless your 2023 build is miles ahead of my 2022 MYLR have to strongly disagree on quality and comfort
My wife shied away from getting a Model Y because she didn’t like the ride when she was test driving new cars last summer. She thought it was harsh and unrefined; she ended up getting a BMW X3 instead. She told me two weekends ago while were headed north to Marin that if the Model Ys she had tested rode as smoothly as mine, she’d probably have gotten it. I am not sure what to say other than that I’ve owned some really high quality cars and my Model Y feels good.

I wonder if it’s because it’s the RWD model and doesn’t have an extra couple hundred pounds sitting on the front axle…or possibly it’s the casting process vs cut and weld…both?

Last edited:
Reactions: Skavatar

"Beauty is in the eye when you hold her." :p

Reactions: posity