Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the new Macan EV a MY killer?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have you seen the Macan's panel cap above the front wheels :)
1706734295395.png

ICE will be sold for a long time to come alongside EVs. And Porsche hasn’t invested billions to “pull the plug.” They will sell their architecture to other manufacturers.
Porsche shares that capital investment with all the other firms in the Piech (Piche?) family of companies.
Porsche, Audi, VW, Bentley
there's accounting (how it's all divided up), and then there's accountability; who takes the blame.

I love Porsches. You’d need the Macan EV Turbo to equal the performance of the MYP and there’s no way I’m spending $100k on a compact SUV. My MYP was $45.5k after the tax credit. If I’m dropping close to six figures on a Porsche with some utility, it’s going to be a Panamera Gran Turismo or a Taycan Cross Turismo.

I understand that although I could conceivably afford a $100k car, I’m not in the “cost no object” stratum that considers a 50% price difference negligible. Something tells me those guys are enjoying their 911 GT3’s and waiting out the upcoming Bentley EV SUV’s rather than rushing out to buy Porsche’s volume model.

The Macan and the Cayenne are both pretty meh…Porsche should have stuck with sports cars
LOL what? Have you actually driven those vehicles? The way they drive is incredible…the Macan barely feels like an SUV it handles so well, and the Cayenne, while it’s definitely big, still handles and drives so well it’s just fun. I almost bought a Cayenne GTS a couple of years ago and I was literally giggling during the test drive while hauling it around a roundabout because a big SUV just shouldn’t be able to move like it does. It was hilarious.

And to the second part of your post, they “should have stuck with sports cars”…the Macan and Cayenne are the reason Porsche still can make sports cars. The SUVs are literally whey they still make sports cars at all. Porsche was headed for insolvency before they released the Cayenne. They weren’t going to survive on just sports cars. So they decided to make really great SUVs to pay for the sports car part of the business...and it worked. And now every single sports car marque is doing it — Maserati, Lamborghini, hell even Lotus and Ferrari have recently released SUVs.

LOL what? Have you actually driven those vehicles? The way they drive is incredible…the Macan barely feels like an SUV it handles so well, and the Cayenne, while it’s definitely big, still handles and drives so well it’s just fun. I almost bought a Cayenne GTS a couple of years ago and I was literally giggling during the test drive while hauling it around a roundabout because a big SUV just shouldn’t be able to move like it does. It was hilarious.

And to the second part of your post, they “should have stuck with sports cars”…the Macan and Cayenne are the reason Porsche still can make sports cars. The SUVs are literally whey they still make sports cars at all. Porsche was headed for insolvency before they released the Cayenne. They weren’t going to survive on just sports cars. So they decided to make really great SUVs to pay for the sports car part of the business...and it worked. And now every single sports car marque is doing it — Maserati, Lamborghini, hell even Lotus and Ferrari have recently released SUVs.
Yes, I’ve driven them (test drives and loaners when my cars were in for service which was a perk I always loved). I thought they were both pretty soulless. Coming from an air-cooled 911, I just didn’t feel anything special when I drove them. If I was spending money on a Porsche, I’d be targeting 1987 - 1989 3.2s or a 1995 993…A 1973.5 would be a grail car but I doubt I could touch one of them now.

Last edited:
Yes, I’ve driven them (test drives and loaners when my cars were in for service which was a perk I always loved). I thought they were both pretty soulless. Coming from an air-cooled 911, I just didn’t feel anything special when I drove them. If I was spending money on a Porsche, I’d be targeting 1987 - 1989 3.2s or a 1995 993…A 1973.5 would be a grail car but I doubt I could touch one of them now.
Clearly no SUV is going to be anything close to the experience of a 911. But compared to its peers the Macan and Cayenne always come out far above the competition for driving dynamics.

If Tesla could continue to improve cars instead of going in the wrong direction (no radar, no USS, yokes, no physical gear shift, no turn stalks, bumpy suspension, terrible service, etc.), then folks would stay loyal. Tesla is forcing people to look at other brands.

I still love Tesla's tech and overall UI but these other features are lacking.
This ^ MYLR is our first and last Tesla. Our Tesla itch is over and we are back to reality. It has helped us understand our EV habits, learned how to live with an EV, navigate around charging infrastructure (which will hopefully continue to improve) but we are done with Tesla. We just got it in 2023 so we are obviously keeping it for a while. But we currently own Porsche Cayenne and will replace it with Electric Cayenne once its released in the coming years (or something similar). In short, Tesla will never be on our radar no matter how much Tech they put in it. Its just a very Cheap car masquerading as a luxury car due to its price. So we are one and done. Coming back to the topic, Macan EV feels overpriced when compared to regular Macan. We won't be looking at Macan and are happy to wait for Cayenne EV when it comes out. I am sure it will have the similar EV premium over the ICE Cayenne.

Tesla cannot decide if it wants to be high volume car (required for survival) or a luxury car (low numbers but prestige). X and S have not aged well at all. They can learn a thing or two from other brands like LUCID and improve S & X. That might help.

• Funny
Reactions: ucmndd
Oh well sure, if you’re comparing them to a 911 that makes sense LOL. I thought you were comparing them against, you know, other SUVs…in which case I think they’re amazing.

Reactions: mborkow
Its just a very Cheap car masquerading as a luxury car due to its price.
3/Y is actually just a cheap car these days after the post-bubble price reductions.

Tesla cannot decide if it wants to be high volume car (required for survival) or a luxury car (low numbers but prestige).
😂
They’ve been extremely decisive on this front and have signaled their intentions for well over a decade.
X and S have not aged well at all.
In what way?

Reactions: Skavatar
Tesla will never be on our radar no matter how much Tech they put in it. It’s just a very Cheap car masquerading as a luxury car due to its price.
Average car price in the US is $48k (if someone knows median, I’d be curious). The Model Y starts at $38k (for brand new inventory cars). Based on its price, it’s not masquerading as a cheap car; it is a cheap car —not a luxury offering. Saying it’s not living up to luxury car standards seems an unreasonable request for a car that’s priced $10k below the average US price point, right?

Last edited:
Reactions: ucmndd
This ^ MYLR is our first and last Tesla. Our Tesla itch is over and we are back to reality. It has helped us understand our EV habits, learned how to live with an EV, navigate around charging infrastructure (which will hopefully continue to improve) but we are done with Tesla. We just got it in 2023 so we are obviously keeping it for a while. But we currently own Porsche Cayenne and will replace it with Electric Cayenne once its released in the coming years (or something similar). In short, Tesla will never be on our radar no matter how much Tech they put in it. Its just a very Cheap car masquerading as a luxury car due to its price. So we are one and done. Coming back to the topic, Macan EV feels overpriced when compared to regular Macan. We won't be looking at Macan and are happy to wait for Cayenne EV when it comes out. I am sure it will have the similar EV premium over the ICE Cayenne.

Tesla cannot decide if it wants to be high volume car (required for survival) or a luxury car (low numbers but prestige). X and S have not aged well at all. They can learn a thing or two from other brands like LUCID and improve S & X. That might help.
maybe I'm misreading your post, but you shouldn't be needing to navigate around charging infrastructure if you're charging in the garage.
Or are you meaning road trips?

Tesla never cleared the bar as 'luxury' except in the hype of blogs.
Those blog inhabitants only see price as the metric for lux.

It's a solid car in my 2yr experience (which includes Porsche, Lexus, BMW), but it's interior appointments are basic.

maybe I'm misreading your post, but you shouldn't be needing to navigate around charging infrastructure if you're charging in the garage.
Or are you meaning road trips?

Tesla never cleared the bar as 'luxury' except in the hype of blogs.
Those blog inhabitants only see price as the metric for lux.

It's a solid car in my 2yr experience (which includes Porsche, Lexus, BMW), but it's interior appointments are basic.
Its only a luxury car compared to ICE cars at similar cost. Its a luxury to have so much instant power available. Its a luxury to have one-pedal driving and not need the brake pedal most of the time. Its a luxury to have very little powertrain noisem, vibration, and harshness. Its a luxury for the car to be remotely warmed or cooled even when parked inside a structure. Its a luxury to fuel your car at your house. Its a luxury to need almost no maintenance. These are luxuries that just about every EV provides, not Tesla exclusive.

Hmm. This is an interesting discussion 😂
My reason for wanting the Macan is that there are too many Ys on the road now. But, I have to be convinced that the Macan is not inferior to the new updated Y first. I can afford to get the Porsche, but I hate the idea of getting anything inferior (compared to the Tesla), and I do like the minimalistic design of the Tesla along with all its software!