Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there a reason to get the Tesla wall connector over other level 2 home chargers?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm considering getting a Model Y but prior to that I want to have my home charging solution ready to go. The Tesla wall connector would make sense at least for this first electric vehicle but I wouldn't want to lock myself into Tesla's without having to pay for an adapter down the road.

So my question is, for Tesla owners, is there a reason to prefer the Tesla wall connector over other home level to chargers that have the Tesla adaptor (NACS I think) built-in? For example, does using a non Tesla charger at home have some impact on the warranty for the vehicle, or does using the Tesla wall connector bring some advantages with charging compared to other chargers?

P.s. I know Tessa will be coming out with a different wall connector in October that will have the adapter that most other manufacturers in North America need right now, but my current lease will be up in October so I would ideally have my charging solution ready well before then.

Here's what I found with a few minutes on Google. The Emporia one is supposed to be $399 and supports scheduling and energy monitoring. The Chargepoint announcement is interesting because they intend to offer retrofits.

Upvote 0
I am happy with the HPWC x3. Gen 2.
Why so happy? Selling the home in a few years. Before I was going to take them with me, or leave one. Now they go with the home. More than likely that would be a bonus in a couple years. Before it was. That is a Tesla only house.

Yeah I guess more are coming on with NACS. Tesla's version has been around the block. Nothing is perfect, but the Tesla WC is close enough for me.

Reactions: Joe-FV
Upvote 0
I've had the tesla wall connector for 2 weeks now and it's been fine and very fancy. What I'm finding is the the car is actually in the garage most of the time and I'm not driving 273 miles every day (model 3 rwd) so I'm kinda thinking simply charging with the 110v wall socket at 3-4 miles per hour would be perfectly adequate.....in hindsight. But, hey, it's always nice to have more/faster/better, right?

Joe
That is why I opted to purchase the Tesla mobile connector. It gives you flexibility both ways if for some reason you wanted to charge 120 V. Also if it useful to have the mobile charger on the go for road trips if you need it. However I plan to just park the mobile charger at home most of the time. Also 32A on the mobile charger is plenty to charge and can charge cars overnight no problem. You don't need 48 amps charging unless you plan to charge during the day which I do not due to TOU plans being more affordable charging after 9 PM.

Upvote 0
I opted out of buying the Tesla charger, it might look cool and be not very expensive, but i have solar panels and want to charge from my solar panels and only at the "speed" that the solar panels can deliver.

This solution is able to adjust the charge current up and down depending on how much surplus solar and to automatically start when the electricity is cheapest (Here it is hourly rates, from day to day, so sometimes cheaper in the middle of the night, sometimes in the daytime if there is a lot of wind and sun)

The Tesla charger is wifi enabled, but only for software updates and ability to talk to other chargers (And Tesla wall, which they dont seem to sell outside of the US.)

I bought a different brand with a controller, to handle this, and it also makes it possible for me to control the charger when away from home, to manually start and stop the charge (Yes, i could do that in the Tesla APP)

I really wished they had some option to atleast control it with regards to charge current, if by no other means, then from some Home Assistant integration, but it seems like it is really closed off to that kind of control also.

So while the tesla charger is cheap, it is also very limited to anything but setting charging.

Reactions: GSP
Upvote 0
I'm new to Tesla, and just bought a model Y long range. I also bought the generation three wall charger. It was going to take several weeks to get the wall charger installed, and I had to use the travel charger in the interim. Painfully slow. I wanted to try and experiment and so I took the 1450 attachment of the travel charger and plugged it all into our range outlet in the kitchen which backs up to the garage. At 32 amps it was charging about 22 mph. I thought that was extremely fast compared to what I had been doing at 110 volts. Now that I have the wall charger installed I get 48 amps, and about 40 mph. It was installed with #6 wire and put on a 60 amp breaker. It charges way faster than I think I would ever need, but it's nice to have the ability. We took a long road trip and came back rolling in at about 4%SOC. Plug the car in, and it said it would be charged up to 80% (daily driving) in about 5 hours. I've had absolutely no problem list the wall charger, and would highly recommend it. The only thing that's frustrating to me is that apparently in the UK you can link the wall charger up to the Tesla app in your phone and can see the charging data. I hope that that's something that will be coming to us soon. It's just a software update (I've been told)

Upvote 0
The only thing that's frustrating to me is that apparently in the UK you can link the wall charger up to the Tesla app in your phone and can see the charging data. I hope that that's something that will be coming to us soon. It's just a software update (I've been told)
The two main advantages to being able to add the Wall Connector to the Tesla App are: Scheduled charging (which the vehicle already does) and charge stats (which the app already shows).

Upvote 0
The advantages of installing the Wall Connector versus using the Mobile Connector include:

The Wall Connector Can supports electric vehicle charging at up to 48 amps (on a 60 amp circuit) versus 32 amps for the Mobile Connector (maximum).
The Wall Connector is designed for indoor or outdoor use in all weather conditions.
The Wall Connector has a longer charging cord (24 ft) versus 18.5 foot for Mobile Connector.
The Wall Connector supports automatic load balancing for installations with multiple Wall Connector units.
The Wall Connector's firmware can be updated by Tesla, over your home Wi-Fi network or your phone's Wi-Fi Hotspot.
The Wall Connector can be configured to only accept charging session requests from specific Tesla vehicle VINs. (This prevents unauthorized Tesla vehicles from charging using the Wall Connector.)

Upvote 0
The receptacle and plug do not have the NEMA enclosure rating.

That's why there are covers to keep the receptacle and plug dry.

1694544127778.png
1694544418549.png

MC firmware update; first I have heard of this.
It is described in the service information.

1694543334954.png

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: jcanoe
Upvote 0
Tesla seems to be a leader in price and functionality of EVSEs:
  • Wall mount hardwired: Tesla Wall Connector is relatively low cost, but generally has a good reputation.
  • Wall mount hardwired, need to charge J1772 EVs as well: Tesla Universal Wall Connector is still attractive on price, while ensuring that no adapters get misplaced or lost.
  • Portable or plug-in to existing outlet: Tesla Mobile Connector is relatively low cost, and plug ends for a large variety of outlets are available.
However, there may be some subsidy situations where some other EVSE qualifies for the subsidy to bring its cost down to a lower level.

Reactions: Country Roads
Upvote 0
I'm considering getting a Model Y but prior to that I want to have my home charging solution ready to go. The Tesla wall connector would make sense at least for this first electric vehicle but I wouldn't want to lock myself into Tesla's without having to pay for an adapter down the road.

So my question is, for Tesla owners, is there a reason to prefer the Tesla wall connector over other home level to chargers that have the Tesla adaptor (NACS I think) built-in? For example, does using a non Tesla charger at home have some impact on the warranty for the vehicle, or does using the Tesla wall connector bring some advantages with charging compared to other chargers?

P.s. I know Tessa will be coming out with a different wall connector in October that will have the adapter that most other manufacturers in North America need right now, but my current lease will be up in October so I would ideally have my charging solution ready well before then.
Not sure why the question is being asked? There is not enough price difference to matter, go with what’s made for your Tesla.

Upvote 0
Most of the people posting here have the Gen 3 TWC which is configurable by web page and all that.

But, FWIW, I've got a trusty Gen 2 TWC in the garage. The SO and I share it back and forth for charging duties. 48A @ 250 VAC, reliably, since November of 2018, no pain at all.

Built like a rock.

Reactions: Country Roads
Upvote 0