Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there a reason to get the Tesla wall connector over other level 2 home chargers?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm considering getting a Model Y but prior to that I want to have my home charging solution ready to go. The Tesla wall connector would make sense at least for this first electric vehicle but I wouldn't want to lock myself into Tesla's without having to pay for an adapter down the road.

So my question is, for Tesla owners, is there a reason to prefer the Tesla wall connector over other home level to chargers that have the Tesla adaptor (NACS I think) built-in? For example, does using a non Tesla charger at home have some impact on the warranty for the vehicle, or does using the Tesla wall connector bring some advantages with charging compared to other chargers?

P.s. I know Tessa will be coming out with a different wall connector in October that will have the adapter that most other manufacturers in North America need right now, but my current lease will be up in October so I would ideally have my charging solution ready well before then.

Being an incredible cheapskate and pretty handy guy, I agree with you. Based on what I've seen the big thing is the wall connector will do a little higher power. Since it is hardwired with GFCI, you would save the $120 bucks on a 240V GFCI breaker, so arguably the savings is negligble.

As far as I can tell, the mobile charger(s) are little more then glorified extension cords. I am a new owner but will be investigating this, there are some singnal pins on the connector, does anyone know what they do, or a link that describes them? My biggest complaint with the mobile charger is there is no way to mount it, but I can see some epoxy and a metal plate happening in my future.....

Upvote 0
As far as I can tell, the mobile charger(s) are little more then glorified extension cords. I am a new owner but will be investigating this, there are some signal pins on the connector, does anyone know what they do, or a link that describes them?
Very smart "extension cords" indeed.

The Mobile Connector uses no fewer than four temperature sensors, ground fault detection, ground loss detection, overvoltage protection, undervoltage protection, pilot fault detection, and other diagnostic capability. It can instruct the vehicle to reduce charging current if high temperatures or a fault is detected. I've never seen an extension cord do all that.

Tesla publishes their connector specifications here.

The communication protocol can be purchased here.

Upvote 0
Being an incredible cheapskate and pretty handy guy, I agree with you. Based on what I've seen the big thing is the wall connector will do a little higher power. Since it is hardwired with GFCI, you would save the $120 bucks on a 240V GFCI breaker, so arguably the savings is negligble.

As far as I can tell, the mobile charger(s) are little more then glorified extension cords. I am a new owner but will be investigating this, there are some singnal pins on the connector, does anyone know what they do, or a link that describes them? My biggest complaint with the mobile charger is there is no way to mount it, but I can see some epoxy and a metal plate happening in my future.....
Tesla sells a Cable Organizer for this purpose. The Cable Organizer includes a wall mount for the Mobile Connector. You can find similar organizer kits on Amazon, eBay and Etsy.

Tesla Cable Organizer

Upvote 0
Tesla sells a Cable Organizer for this purpose. The Cable Organizer includes a wall mount for the Mobile Connector. You can find similar organizer kits on Amazon, eBay and Etsy.

Tesla Cable Organizer
there are others as well. I bought one from rpmtesla or something. the only thing I dislike bout most mounts for the mobile connector is they want you to put the charge end pushed in and it just looks weird and I don't like anything protruding. the one I have is just nothing more than a cable holder you can just wrap around. I've yet to find a mount for the mobile connector that allows you to shove the charge end from the side and not from the front.

Upvote 0
there are others as well. I bought one from rpmtesla or something. the only thing I dislike bout most mounts for the mobile connector is they want you to put the charge end pushed in and it just looks weird and I don't like anything protruding. the one I have is just nothing more than a cable holder you can just wrap around. I've yet to find a mount for the mobile connector that allows you to shove the charge end from the side and not from the front.
You are describing the Tesla Gen3 Wall Connector.

Upvote 0
My biggest complaint with the mobile charger is there is no way to mount it, but I can see some epoxy and a metal plate happening in my future.....
Are u kidding me? Amazon sells a lot of those Tesla mobile connector cable organizers like this one below and many others. I personally use this one that I bought from Amazon and works great.

SEVEN SPARTA Charging Cable Holder with Chassis Bracket for Tesla Model 3 Model Y Model X Model S Charger Cable Organizer Tesla Accessories Car Wall Connector (Black)
Seven Sparta Mobile Connector Charging Cable Holder

Upvote 0
Very smart "extension cords" indeed.

The Mobile Connector uses no fewer than four temperature sensors, ground fault detection, ground loss detection, overvoltage protection, undervoltage protection, pilot fault detection, and other diagnostic capability. It can instruct the vehicle to reduce charging current if high temperatures or a fault is detected. I've never seen an extension cord do all that.

Tesla publishes their connector specifications here.

The communication protocol can be purchased here.
Tx for the great links.

As for the mounting on the mobile charger, they really should have 2 bosses in the plastic for mounting.

Upvote 0
I went with the charge point hard wired charger. In NJ the Tesla charger doesn’t qualify for the utility rebate, which covers installation costs up to $1500. I haven’t received my check yet, but was told I’m approved.

I need to use the Tesla provided adapter which is inconvient but not horrible. The charger is working fine.

Tom

Upvote 0
I've had the tesla wall connector for 2 weeks now and it's been fine and very fancy. What I'm finding is the the car is actually in the garage most of the time and I'm not driving 273 miles every day (model 3 rwd) so I'm kinda thinking simply charging with the 110v wall socket at 3-4 miles per hour would be perfectly adequate.....in hindsight. But, hey, it's always nice to have more/faster/better, right?
I have gone thru this and the Mobile connector requires: a GFCI dual pole breaker, a NEMA commercial grade outlet. The cost of ALL these is about what I pay for the Wall Connector and a non-GFCI dual pole breaker (my panel uses very old style, thin breaker, could not find 60A dual pole breaker, I was lucky to find ONE 50 A dual pole breaker at nearly 80$. A GFCI 40A breaker that fit in my home panel does not exist.
The Wall Connector has shown to be more reliable than the Mobile Connector. This forum has plenty of threads by folks who had trouble with the Mobile Connector.

Upvote 0
I went with the charge point hard wired charger. In NJ the Tesla charger doesn’t qualify for the utility rebate, which covers installation costs up to $1500. I haven’t received my check yet, but was told I’m approved.

I need to use the Tesla provided adapter which is inconvient but not horrible. The charger is working fine.

Tom
I received my check today. $925.00 which was the total installation cost. This is a good deal for NJ residents.

Tom

Reactions: zroger73
Upvote 0

Tom
Um. I spent a little time working back and forth with PSE&G on the reduced rate follies. I had this idea that PSE&G's mothership could get the charging numbers from the cars in the garage, rather from the TWC; which, in my case, is a Gen 2 TWC which doesn't, natch, have internet connectivity.

Turns out that PSE&G wants the internet connectivity part of it.

As near as I can tell, the buzz words that lets one into the "cheap electricity rates" stuff for BEVs is if the Wall Connector, no matter who it's from, has the words, "Energy Star" associated with it.

Now, normally, when somebody hears the words "Energy Star" with an appliance or something it means that the appliance uses below some "yea" level of energy. With BEV Wall Connectors, that's not what they mean, and I read the verbiage on the EPA's web site. What the EPA wants: Internet connectivity so the Wall Connector can pass energy usage to some $RANDOM mothership.

The Tesla Gen 3 Wall Connector, when first introduced, did not have the Energy Star rating. As of right this minute and at least a month or three ago, it does. And PSE&G will accept that Wall Connector for, at least, the purposes of reduced metering rates. I strongly suspect that this was a firmware update to the Gen 3.

If you're in JCP&L territory, well, they're a different bunch.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Depending on how much you drive level 1 can cost an extra $800 or more a year in electricity costs. Especially if you have cheap nighttime rates since most level 1 charging would happen during peak times. So feel good about your level 2.
I fail to understand your calculation of EXTRA cost between level 1 and Tesla wall Connector. The difference between the two is Amps. Amps is a measure of flow (speed).Cost per KW (amount delivered) is a dollar measure. Given the same amount of charge delivered the cost is the same. The time to deliver that is different. More amps,less time

Upvote 0
I fail to understand your calculation of EXTRA cost between level 1 and Tesla wall Connector. The difference between the two is Amps. Amps is a measure of flow (speed).Cost per KW (amount delivered) is a dollar measure. Given the same amount of charge delivered the cost is the same. The time to deliver that is different. More amps,less time
If your electricity rates are different at different times of day, then 120V charging will cost more since you will need to charge during the day at higher electricity rates.

Also, the car uses an extra of about 300W of power when charging, all the time. That’s wasted overhead electricity. So if your charge session is longer (which it is at 120V) then that’ll cost more too.

Finally, the conversion electronics aren’t as efficient at 120V than they are at 240V. The car charger has to boost the voltage to pack voltage at 350 V, so it’ll be less efficient doing this with a 120V input vs a 240V input.

Upvote 0
Now that Tesla has bi-directional charging (CBT for now) it makes sense in my book to look at the wall mounted unit. In the future I’m expecting we will be able to use any Tesla car's pack to power our homes in an electrical outage. Tesla just posted the bi-directional charger on their website After the CBT event.

Upvote 0
Now that Tesla has bi-directional charging (CBT for now) it makes sense in my book to look at the wall mounted unit. In the future I’m expecting we will be able to use any Tesla car's pack to power our homes in an electrical outage. Tesla just posted the bi-directional charger on their website After the CBT event.
How often does that happen where you live ?

I like the idea of being able to power my own house in a blackout, and i even have solar panels and a house battery, but honestly, the cost of making my solar system able to do that is a lot more than what i am realistically going to want to spend, when i look at the power outage rate.

I think the last time we had a power outage here was more than 3 years ago and it lasted for 20 minutes.

All in all in the 25 years i have lived in my current house we have had, maybe a combined power outage of less than 3 hours. Hardly something i personally would want to pay maybe 1000 USD to have enabled.

I like the idea of using the EV's as a "powerbank" for the powergrid, but unless the powergrid is also in on it, it would never be worth it here.

The whole idea of byuing electricity to store when it is cheap and selling it when it is expensive is kind of not a thing here, as i pay 20ct for every kilowatt i buy, but i dont get that back for every kilowatt i sell.

Taxes on electricity is as said 20ct so unless i can buy some electricity that cost 0ct (20ct + 0ct) and sell it at a higher price than that it is not worth it, and you even have to factor in the ~10% loss when converting from AC to DC, and another 10% the other way.

• Love
Reactions: zroger73
Upvote 0
How often does that happen where you live ?

I like the idea of being able to power my own house in a blackout, and i even have solar panels and a house battery, but honestly, the cost of making my solar system able to do that is a lot more than what i am realistically going to want to spend, when i look at the power outage rate.

I think the last time we had a power outage here was more than 3 years ago and it lasted for 20 minutes.

All in all in the 25 years i have lived in my current house we have had, maybe a combined power outage of less than 3 hours. Hardly something i personally would want to pay maybe 1000 USD to have enabled.

I like the idea of using the EV's as a "powerbank" for the powergrid, but unless the powergrid is also in on it, it would never be worth it here.

The whole idea of byuing electricity to store when it is cheap and selling it when it is expensive is kind of not a thing here, as i pay 20ct for every kilowatt i buy, but i dont get that back for every kilowatt i sell.

Taxes on electricity is as said 20ct so unless i can buy some electricity that cost 0ct (20ct + 0ct) and sell it at a higher price than that it is not worth it, and you even have to factor in the ~10% loss when converting from AC to DC, and another 10% the other way.
Couple of things.

First, let me say that, in general, I agree with you about the cost and need of a battery back-up system. My place has 9 kW of solar panels on the roof, about 7.8 kW delivered to the grid (under best conditions), and the whole system generates around 12 MW-hr of energy over a year's time. Which is, what with LED bulbs and the kids being out of the house, about 2 or 3 MW-hr more than I actually use.

In New Jersey, the Public Utilities Commission and the State Legislature have it rigged so that homeowners and such with solar power sell their energy to the local utilities for wholesale, pretty much like any other generator of electricity, be it dams, nuclear power, coal, or what-all. When we use electricity, we more-or-less pay retail, just like anybody else. To encourage solar, the State also threw in a tariff (that is, the rules) that if one is grid-tied, one can sign up for something called Net Metering. This works by adding up, over a month's time, the inflows into a house and the outflows out of a house, then subtracting. If the difference is negative (i.e., the house generated more energy than it used) then the difference is carried over to the next month and one pays a $5 connection fee. In the next month, the math is applied again, adding the carry-over amount from the previous month: If it's still negative then, again, one doesn't pay anything except for that connection fee. If the total is positive, then one pays for electrical energy on the positive amount and the carry-forward term is zeroed out.

At the end of a year, usually in the sprint, the carry-forward amount, if present, is zeroed out and one gets paid the wholesale value of the Net (which is why it's called Net Metering). If there's a MW-hr or so left over, then one gets, maybe, $150 or so. Which one typically leaves on the account to take care of those $5 connection fees 😁.

Given the above, it's hard to see where paying a few thousand bucks for a Powerwall or some equivalent is going to actually make any money, even over the long term. There are other US States where this bit about carrying the difference forward isn't used; and some particularly nasty states where one gets paid wholesale for excess energy right off, and pays retail on energy used right off; so it's very, very difficult to zero out one's bill in any month. For those people, a Powerwall or two may actually pay for itself by preventing energy from being delivered to the house, at all, and the payback for the Powerwall or equivalent may only take a year or three.

But, never mind that: The Cybertruck has the capability of dishing just as much AC power out of the NACS connector as it can take in. For Tesla, that's new. (Ford has been advertising something like this for half a year, now.. but it may not involve the J1772/CCS1 connector on the car.)

This may be something that, as Teslas get updated over time and new Teslas eventually appear, may become common. And, if so, some modest, relatively low cost electrical gear in the house may be able to disconnect the house from the power grid and power the house from the car. Ta-Da! A Powerwall on wheels!

Since most of the cost of a Powerwall is in the battery and the car already has a battery, this may be a win-win: A couple of hundred bucks (or maybe a thou) gets one a battery back-up that's relatively cheap and worth the expense.

Reactions: smlobx
Upvote 0
I guess I fail to see the great utility. If you're an average Joe who commutes to work, your car won't even be home to be charged during most of the daylight hours.You could use it to leverage free charging at work to run your house at night, but it's both not worth it, and pretty darned scammy.

Even if your car IS home during solar generation time, if you then drain it each evening, you are both cycling the battery a LOT extra, and you are leaving yourself with a drained battery if you DO want to drive the car somewhere the next morning.

Even if you just want it for emergencies, fine, you've kept your lights on and food cold, but you may then not have a car that you can use to evacuate, or go buy more food or do anything else during the emergency.

Upvote 0
You could use it to leverage free charging at work to run your house at night, but it's both not worth it, and pretty darned scammy.
One of my coworkers borders on being a slimy d-bag. We were discussing my EV a few months ago and I mentioned that almost all of my charging was at free-to-me public charging locations that I happen to be near when I'm out and about each day. He was less interested in EVs and more interested in hoarding energy from free public charging locations and using that power for his home. :)

He was ready to load up a utility trailer full of batteries and drag them behind his gas-guzzling Escalade to be charged, but was disappointed when I explained how impractical that would be.

Upvote 0