Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there a Tesla Wave or hand sign?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I always wave at fellow Tesla owners in the northshore of Chicago and I've gotten 1 wave back in 4.5 months. When I drove my LEAF and saw any other EV, we'd always wave and get waves back. While stuck in traffic once we saw a MiEV and we had a conversation about why we got EVs and how great they are. Tesla owners don't necessarily see a Tesla as a community but back in the day all EV owners were tight.

I was just wondering this exact question when I was driving down near Carmel. At home and to work in Silicon Valley you would never set your arm back down. You can pretty much ask yourself "Is there a Tesla around?" at any moment during the day here and spot one in some direction. Seriously. It's the Prius of Silicon Valley.

• Funny
Reactions: bmah and Fiddler
While we haven't seen many others at the few SC's we've used, all have acted as though they were at gas stations. Totally self absorbed, just looking to get out of there without so much as a glance at others.

With that, if you're here, sorry to the MS owner late Saturday around 5:30 at the Egg Harbor NJ charger that my wife noticed had just arrived as we were about to leave, and was waving. I was intent on getting ready to back out, and did return the wave and the enthusiastic smile I saw you flash our way! Traffic was building on the AC Expressway or I'd have stopped over to say "Hi, nice car!"

Haha, I think that is a reference to vaping right? Well, I did not see that in the scene in Canada pre-2014. I left before that became part of the bro-baru culture... :)

The joke around here is that all the Corvette owners show up to Cars&Coffee at the crack of dawn because they are old men who can't sleep in late. But then all the Subaru owners roll into the parking lot late morning because they had to smoke their morning bowl first.

• Funny
Reactions: e-FTW
When I drive my Corvette nearly every other Corvette owner on the road waves. I haven't found anything like this in my Tesla. Just the occasional thumbs-up from pedestrians here in central Florida.

I remember doing the Corvette wave and did the biker wave for a time as well. At least I would get a return wave from them.
Tesla? Nadda! Nothing! Zip! When I see a Tesla up ahead I speed up to check it out and say hi. Like a dog sniff'in a new friends tail regions :) I usual get no recognition at all. NY'ers can be so engrossed in their own lives sometimes. :( Maybe I should start cutting them off, see if they notice Bet i'll get a wave then! Or a "salute" :)

I come from the Subaru WRX/STI fandom, where everyone waves. Having since moved to California and a Model S, not seeing waves at all.

I was about to comment the same. Although, I hear the Subaru community isn't what it used to be either...too many affordable WRX/STi's that are now owned by punk kids.

The only wave I've ever gotten was from a neighbor that lives somewhere close by. Sometimes we see each other and both him/his wife were excitedly waving at me, that was nice to see.

Back in the North Shore of Chicago, I got a wave from a red Tesla at the Dunkin Donuts drive through. I think we're the only 2 Teslas that visit that place (you can't throw a stone near the Starbucks without hitting a Benz, Bentley, or Tesla).

I guess you've gotta catch them at a point of shame where they must acknowledge you. :D

I haven't gotten any waves, although I see other Teslas fairly frequently. It seems to be in clumps, which is interesting. Some days, none at all, other days, I'll see 4 or 5. Often, I'm behind them or not in a good position to wave. I do find it funny that when I'm walking somewhere and see a Tesla, I want to wave, but, of course, I'm walking, so the driver would have no idea that I'm a Tesla owner! A secret hand sign could solve that problem, I guess.

In the communist state of Arizona where Tesla is mostly an unknown "outside of Scottsdale" I have NEVER seen another on the road anywhere else "except Scottsdale". Out here in fly over country AZ. there are no opportunities to wave. :(

i saw my first ever other tesla on the road here in louisiana (with MS plates) so i drove up to them and waved and he just gave me a "wtf" look. Pfft lol whatever.

When we go to Trader Joe's in Baton Rouge, we usually will cruise by the Supercharger, not to charge, but to see who is there. We will stop and chat if the charging cars are so inclined. We have met some nice folks, both local and from out of town.