Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there any reason my charger would triple in speed all of a sudden?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I never got more then 30 miles an hour when I would charge my car from the house, today it's charging at almost 90 miles an hour unless I'm reading or understanding something wrong. Has anyone else noticed this ?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 595
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 568
Last edited:
I never got more then 30 miles an hour when I would charge my car from the house today it's charging at almost 90 miles an hour unless I'm reading or understanding something wrong. Has anyone else noticed this ?

Evan is probably correct, but did you happen to have your car unplugged in the cold before charging?

On one ocassion I had to stay at a hotel overnight in the cold (for Florida) unplugged. The next morning I lost about 30 miles of rated range. A short time later when I charged at a friend's house the car charged faster than the capacity of his NEMA outlet. So as the battery pack heated during charging in addition to adding real range apparently the car recalculated the rated range based on the temperature of the battery. The net result was charging faster than the source capacity.

Larry

I plugged it in as soon as I got home from a decently long drive so I don't think the battery was cold. I just went out for a short drive after this and it still saying its charging in the early 80's. My dashboard is displaying the same times as the app the second time I charged. . The first time I did not think to check it. Could there be an error in the app and dash? Are they linked?

Thank you for the help.

Exactly, I don't understand what is happening? As much as I would love for my home charger to have half the supercharging capabilities I know it's not possible. I guess if it keeps doing it I will call service. Unless someone thinks it can be messing with my batteries and I will call regardless.

Exactly, I don't understand what is happening? As much as I would love for my home charger to have half the supercharging capabilities I know it's not possible. I guess if it keeps doing it I will call service. Unless someone thinks it can be messing with my batteries and I will call regardless.

The charging rate is based your projected mileage in the car... I frequently see 30km/h or less charging off a 14-50. Do you live at the bottom of the hill, or was your wH/mi really low on your last trip?

The charging rate is based your projected mileage in the car... I frequently see 30km/h or less charging off a 14-50. Do you live at the bottom of the hill, or was your wH/mi really low on your last trip?

Are you certain about that? I thought it was based upon the Ideal Mileage of the car. Mine has been very consistant. If based upon projected, then the last bit of my drive (about 1/4 mile) I typically see projected range in the 400 mile range, yet my charging rate is very consistant at 60mph on 80 amps, 30mph on 40 amps and 2-3mph on 12amps.

Are you certain about that? I thought it was based upon the Ideal Mileage of the car. Mine has been very consistant. If based upon projected, then the last bit of my drive (about 1/4 mile) I typically see projected range in the 400 mile range, yet my charging rate is very consistant at 60mph on 80 amps, 30mph on 40 amps and 2-3mph on 12amps.

My display usually shows ~25ish MpH on the charging, so it appears that it's projected and not rated. Right now it's showing 23 mi/hr @ 245V/40A.

For my car it's absolutely set for projected. I think it depends on the settings however. Charging rates in mph has been discussed at length in another thread....

This is the first I'm hearing about it being set for projected, but that would make sense. I've seen multiple posts where people complain about initially being in the low 20s and then getting higher rates later, but "feeling" like it's the same amount of time. I usually get 21-22 mph at 40 amps and I average 370 kW/mile.

It doesn't make sense to me why they wouldn't use a set fixed number like rated or ideal - this way the charging mph is basically a meaningless value without taking previous driving history, which can be highly variable, into account each time.

Ok, I believe you that it's based upon projected...but WHICH projected:
1)Instantaneous-seems unlikely
2)Last 5 mile average-this seems a bit more likely based upon the triple normal charge rate the OP asked about.
3)15 mile average-not sure why they'd do that with a 5 and 30 option
4)30 not very helpful for local driving
5)Whatever you happen to have your Energy display set to--this would be my personal preference, but I don't know.