Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is this a legal number plate, and is it also legal for travel outside of the UK?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1700058389010.png

I can't find many places who make the green electric vehicle flash in combination with the UK flag.

Alternatively, are these sticker add-ons legal?
1700059700358.png

Last edited:
Got mine from
Buy New Number Plates - Replacement Number Plates from UK Registrations

They do the green EV Flash and the UK / Union Flag

Refer here if travelling abroad I think. I believe they should be compliant but DOUBLE-CHECK if you want the plate for overseas travel rather than just cosmetic reasons for travel in the UK only.

I personally just bought a green EV UK sticker flash off ebay for £3 and stuck it on the plate while I was outside the UK

1700059508215.png

Got mine from
Buy New Number Plates - Replacement Number Plates from UK Registrations

They do the green EV Flash and the UK / Union Flag

Refer here if travelling abroad I think. I believe they should be compliant but DOUBLE-CHECK if you want the plate for overseas travel rather than just cosmetic reasons for travel in the UK only.

I personally just bought a green EV UK sticker flash off ebay for £3 and stuck it on the plate while I was outside the UK

View attachment 990889
It's for travel abroad rather than cosmetic.

The stickers are another option. Are the UK stickers you got reflective?

It's for travel abroad rather than cosmetic.

The stickers are another option. Are the UK stickers you got reflective?
I am not sure. I didn't really care if they were reflective. Why does that matter?

£1.39 including postage....... I don't know how they make any money with the price of snail mail

I am not sure. I didn't really care if they were reflective. Why does that matter?

£1.39 including postage....... I don't know how they make any money with the price of snail mail
Number plates need to be reflective by UK law, and any sticker that's not would make them not.

Number plates need to be reflective by UK law, and any sticker that's not would make them not.
Thankfully was not spotted by the police either in the UK or in mainland Europe. I would argue the actual registration letters and main area of the plate are still reflective. I doubt anyone is going to pull you up and give you a criminal record for a sticker which may not reflect? Tape it up with some masking tape around it and spray it with acrylic reflective spray paint. Job done...

OR buy new plates, waste money and damage the environment?

I don’t think you would have any issues with any of the above. Reflective or not, compliant and legal or not.

We have so few police (government “streamlined” to save money again) which is why the whole county is pretty much a lawless state - which is why you can do what you want.

When did you last see coppers patrolling a neighbourhood or a city centre? I was about 3 if I recall correctly…..

I do like those.
Yours for £3.79

I used stickers on mine, never had a problem. But also depends where you are travelling to.
For Spain for example, you need the black on white 'UK' oval sticker in addition, even if your plates are compliant with the new UK+flag.

May I ask why you would insist on having the green flash on the plate for? Afaik there is zero advantage to have it, and I think (personal taste) plates looks better with either the regular blue or just plain yellow

I don’t think you would have any issues with any of the above. Reflective or not, compliant and legal or not.

We have so few police (government “streamlined” to save money again) which is why the whole county is pretty much a lawless state - which is why you can do what you want.

When did you last see coppers patrolling a neighbourhood or a city centre? I was about 3 if I recall correctly…..

More likely to be caught in an MOT when the time comes. I’ve had advisories when my plate has had a little water Ingres between front and reflective plate that has started to reduce reflectivity enough that MOT tester thought that it might start to make plate less clear to ANPR cameras. Part of the reflectivity is to aid camera recognition - easy to check in the dark with a flash photo. I have also rejected a set of plates without reflective green stripe and got a fresh legal set in return.

Reactions: M1tch
Not to hijack the thread but is anyone aware of even a single local authority that gives out perks to drivers of a vehicle that bears a green flash on the plate?
I would think that with ANPR and real-time DVLA database query they can know pretty instantly if a car is zero emissions or not, and don't need the visual cue... (especially when it comes to a pure EV brand like Tesla...)

gives out perks to drivers of a vehicle that bears a green flash on the plate?
I think it is the other way round - the drivers (not all) wear the flash/badge/stripes like the army soldiers - a green stripe is something like general or major general proudly wearing it and saying loudly look I am saving the planet. Btw, that is a sarcastic comment and I am really not bothered about green or blue or hearts or no stripes.

I think the intent of the green flash was to show the general public that there are now many EVs on the road. I've not seen any schemes with "green flash discounts".

I got a new plate with green flash with UK logo ordered for a European road trip, nobody seemed to give me any trouble. The stickers were OK in dry weather, but seemed to rapidly deteriorate in adverse conditions.