Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is this a model X, Model 3, or Model Y? [Fatal Tesla Model Y accident 10/18/22 in Stuart, FL]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

KidsEyeDr

Sep 4, 2021
FL
It is a Model Y Performance
I was about to say the same. There are parts in the picture of the MY upside down that I can't quite figure out what they are or why they are where they are. Looks like a serious, high speed hit to the front right quarter. My guess is that someone ran a red light or someone turned left across oncoming traffic. The structure of the battery pack seems to have helped at the lowest level, but couldn't help the rest.

Upvote 0
One of the drive motors and the van's engine both were separated from the vehicles? WOW.

One of the articles claims it was a "fiery crash" but I don't see burn marks on either of them. There's smoke in one picture but I don't see flames.

I'm going to be a judgement a-hole and guess that the M3P was driving well above the speed limit, ran a red light, and smacked the van.

Upvote 0
At least according to the initial gossip in a local “Stuart moms” Facebook group, I am told, the Tesla drivers didn’t break the red light. But they must have been speeding like triple the posted limit of 45 to flip, AND to fling a motor (and the minivan engine) way out like that.

Reactions: LoudMusic
Upvote 0
So yesterday (10/18/22) in Stuart Florida, an 18 year old was driving a Tesla sedan (not sure if it was a Y or 3, but def a performance model). Based on the news, He was speeding and ran into a minivan. as a result, the Tesla flipped over and The batteries caught fire. Both occupants of the Tesla died as well as 2 from the minivan. This was a very tragic event in a typically quiet town.

I have now owned my MYP for 3 months. I’ve had no issues but events like this being so close to where I live leave me wondering “how often does this really happen?”. It’s hard to find completely unbiased information on this as it could be one end or the other in terms of opinions on safety.

Upvote 0
If you search this website (TMC) you will (I guarantee) find a thread on virtually every single crash / battery fire that has ever occurred in tesla's history. I wouldnt call it unbiased, but there are regular members here who love (love love love) finding that stuff whereever it may be on the internet and bringing it here to be discussed.

There have been more engine fires / deaths with virtually every other car brand, but because " the battery" and this is an EV, and tesla ( which is actually one of the most american car brands but people who are very nationalistic seem to forget that), AND because the CEO of tesla is an extremely polarizing figure, all that means that these get focused on to the Nth degree both here and everywhere else.

Upvote 0
If the Tesla flipped over, which is a very hard thing to do, that would imply this was a very high speed collision, which also can be inferred by the the fact the occupants of the mini van also died.

High speed crashes will invariably catch fire whatever the type of car it is, EV or ICE.

But anything other than highspeed, the probability of surviving in Tesla is very high, often with the occupants walking away.

Upvote 0
c0dc8153-0479-42ba-8d2e-fd9c8e40db20-TCN_MC_FATAL_CRASH05.jpg

There are signs of fire, but I'd say any injuries were the result of a significantly violent impact.

Upvote 0
How many remember the exploding gas tanks in rear end collisions of the Ford Pinto or the accidents and crashes of the Chevrolet Corvair. or the unintended acceleration of the Audi?
There are many more to the list. Eighteen year olds should not be allowed to drive a Tesla IMHO

Teenagers make bad choices, regardless of the vehicle they drive. Teslas have breathtaking acceleration, but any car can go fast.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Teenagers make bad choices, regardless of the vehicle they drive. Teslas have breathtaking acceleration, but any car can go fast.
with the super car acceleration and add teenager drivers = most dangerous! Those parents who gave their teenage kids key to the MYP should be held responsible. Two innocent people died because of them.

Upvote 0