Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is this a model X, Model 3, or Model Y? [Fatal Tesla Model Y accident 10/18/22 in Stuart, FL]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

KidsEyeDr

Sep 4, 2021
FL
with the super car acceleration and add teenager drivers = most dangerous! Those parents who gave their teenage kids key to the MYP should be held responsible. Two innocent people died because of them.
In all fairness I hardly doubt it was the super car acceleration but more like the top speed the vehicle was going - which could be limited to reduce the chance of this but as others have stated lots of cars go fast - I had an 1984 Trans-am that I remember getting up to over 130mph as a dumb teenager.

Upvote 0
Don’t get me wrong, with my MYP, I show people the acceleration on sport mode but I do it on roads with no cars, def not on US1 in the middle of the day in one of the most busiest areas of town.

The left turn the van was making was on a blind turn where a lot of times it’s hard to see cars coming if someone (especially a big SUV) is in the turning lane opposite of you. It’s normally a very dangerous intersection. Throw in a teenager showing off on a Tesla and you have….. well… this.

BTW, my family had a pinto when I was kid. Luckily no accidents.

Upvote 0
in Florida, an 18 year old was speeding and ran into a minivan the Tesla flipped over and caught fire...

You seem surprised? Teens are dumb, they do stupid *sugar*.

Upvote 0
In all fairness I hardly doubt it was the super car acceleration but more like the top speed the vehicle was going - which could be limited to reduce the chance of this but as others have stated lots of cars go fast - I had an 1984 Trans-am that I remember getting up to over 130mph as a dumb teenager.
0-60 in 3.7 seconds is the super car level acceleration. Let me explain in plain English to you. Average distance between a traffic light to traffic light on non-highway is between 1/4 and 1/2 miles. Given that there are other cars on the road in between any given two traffic lights, you have about 1/8 miles of distance to accelerate. How many cars on the road can do triple digit speed with that distance? Do you think 4 cylinder sub-compact beat up cars can do triple digit speed during the 1/8 mile run?

Upvote 0
If the Tesla flipped over, which is a very hard thing to do, that would imply this was a very high speed collision, which also can be inferred by the the fact the occupants of the mini van also died.

High speed crashes will invariably catch fire whatever the type of car it is, EV or ICE.

But anything other than highspeed, the probability of surviving in Tesla is very high, often with the occupants walking away.C
Correct. Imagine pushing a pen in to an apple half way and trying to balance the apple on the end of the pen, that's how hard it is to flip a tesla and KEEP it flipped, they worked hard on this and should be basically impossible, this driver based on this was probably extremely reckless

Upvote 0
Given enough blunt force into a charged li-ion battery will spark fires, that's the nature of the battery. Most of the fires in Tesla after an accident I have seen is the driver doing something unsafe, overestimating one's driving skill, and resulting an exceedingly high-speed crash into a solid object. So far, most crash test agencies around the world have not reported fires during testing and many other fender benders had survived.

Reactions: KidsEyeDr
Upvote 0
Perhaps worth mentioning also:

According to the National Fire Protection Association, every year more than 5000 gas station fires are reported in the US. These fires cause plenty of damage. Talking in numbers, on an average, gas station fires cause 48 civilian injuries, 2 civilian deaths, and $20 million in property damage every year.

Reactions: KidsEyeDr
Upvote 0
I seem to remember a fast gas car crash killing 2 people a few years back on the news....Paul Walker.....Only made the news cause someone famous died
ICE crashes with deaths happen everyday. They happen a lot in Socal, like every other day. I see them on nextdoor almost weekly. They get zero news. But a battery fire due aggressive driving or stupidity, makes headlines. smh

Reactions: whisperingshad
Upvote 0
If you search this website (TMC) you will (I guarantee) find a thread on virtually every single crash / battery fire that has ever occurred in tesla's history. I wouldnt call it unbiased, but there are regular members here who love (love love love) finding that stuff whereever it may be on the internet and bringing it here to be discussed.

There have been more engine fires / deaths with virtually every other car brand, but because " the battery" and this is an EV, and tesla ( which is actually one of the most american car brands but people who are very nationalistic seem to forget that), AND because the CEO of tesla is an extremely polarizing figure, all that means that these get focused on to the Nth degree both here and everywhere else.
Absolutely. As a statistical matter of fact, they had their highest chance of survival in a Tesla.

But anything can be destroyed. Again, thoughts and prayers to the families in this tragedy. 😖😣

This is my home town and an intersection that I go through several times weekly.

Upvote 0
ICE crashes with deaths happen everyday. They happen a lot in Socal, like every other day. I see them on nextdoor almost weekly. They get zero news. But a battery fire due aggressive driving or stupidity, makes headlines. smh
I appreciated that the local news actually listed BOTH vehicles types (Not just “a minivan” for the other vehicle involved). Love my town, a lot of objective folks, LEO especially.

Upvote 0
with the super car acceleration and add teenager drivers = most dangerous! Those parents who gave their teenage kids key to the MYP should be held responsible. Two innocent people died because of them.
I wonder if the parents knew about the top speed limiting function in the app. Would have almost certainly saved their lives.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I was about to say the same. There are parts in the picture of the MY upside down that I can't quite figure out what they are or why they are where they are. Looks like a serious, high speed hit to the front right quarter. My guess is that someone ran a red light or someone turned left across oncoming traffic. The structure of the battery pack seems to have helped at the lowest level, but couldn't help the rest.
M3P
20221020_212800.jpg
20221020_213005.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: SOULPEDL and Cubu
Upvote 0
Safest SUV, but bad driver, shitty parents, maybe even video games 🤷‍♂️.

Safety automation will gradually prevent this tragedy from even being possible. Not my forecast, it's Tesla's stated goal to make their vehicles safer, and safer, and safer, until you cannot wreck one - I'm thinking without maybe some form of safety over-ride and a license or track for this purpose. There is plenty of evidence this is already progressing, and is especially why they have the insurance rate advantage. Their rates are the lowest already, and for a damn good reason. (Excuse my French, but I am French, so there's that part ;)

Upvote 0