Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is this okay to drive on?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMG_6801.jpg

Only have about 400 miles on the car. Unfortunatley got this by backing out from a tight garage enterance. Haven't lost any PSI so far and dont see any chords. General concensus seems to be that is okay for low profile tires as they are intentionally designed to to protect the rims. For the model Y the rims seems to be doing the protecting for the tires...lol. Debating if I should continue driving and monitoring the wheel and replacing it once the othe back tire wares down. Thoughts?

Thoughts?

That the tire is the only thing thats actually providing the ability to control the car, so I really do not understand (at all) when people want to take chances with damaged tires in a 4000+ lb car that is capable of the acceleration that these are.

If its not super obvious, I would replace it, whether internet opinion thought I should or not.... (since you asked for thoughts).

Upvote 0
View attachment 949719

Only have about 400 miles on the car. Unfortunatley got this by backing out from a tight garage enterance. Haven't lost any PSI so far and dont see any chords. General concensus seems to be that is okay for low profile tires as they are intentionally designed to to protect the rims. For the model Y the rims seems to be doing the protecting for the tires...lol. Debating if I should continue driving and monitoring the wheel and replacing it once the othe back tire wares down. Thoughts?
No. Very risky. I would replace it.

Some would take risks but it’s just like the current uncertified Titan submersible, it could run fine for a number of times but then now it's in trouble.

Reactions: DanDi58
Upvote 0
View attachment 949719

Replace the tire!

Upvote 0
@itashmi_master
Not sure how many of us internet warriors have enough in-depth tire knowledge to answer. Maybe @jerry33 would. I would try to contact the tire manufacturer directly, via email or chat. If that doesn‘t work, I would go to an authorized dealer and ask. They may not be impartial, but they know their product better than most of us.

GSP

Reactions: zoomer0056
Upvote 0
@itashmi_master
Not sure how many of us internet warriors have enough in-depth tire knowledge to answer. Maybe @jerry33 would. I would try to contact the tire manufacturer directly, via email or chat. If that doesn‘t work, I would go to an authorized dealer and ask. They may not be impartial, but they know their product better than most of us.

GSP
Without doing an inspection on the tire it’s not possible to say, but I would only drive it to the nearest tire sore and replace the tire (or the pair if there is a significant difference between the new tire and the old tire).

Upvote 0
There is nothing structural about what broke off. There are belts behind the rubber. You aren't near those.

I would happily install that on my family's car to use for the next 10-20,000 miles. Seriously.. I'll pay shipping if the tire has good tread. :p I could probably get a nearly-new set of 4 for $120 on this forum by buying up all the scraps from minor repairable punctures and curb-hits.

Upvote 0
It's hard to tell from the angle of the photo, but it looks like the only damage is a thin sliver from the extra-thick "rim guard" on the tire. The rim guard is sacrificial, and is supposed to protect the rim from gentle curb scraping. (Of course, we all know that TESLA OEM rims don't benefit from the rim guard!)

Reactions: Iron and fiehlsport
Upvote 0
The cords aren’t visible, so the tires are just fine. They would pass DOT inspection if that was a commercial tire, and I’d run those all day long.

The hysteria is a bit overdone. No chances are taken by driving the tread right off of this tire. It’s just fine.
Hysteria is making Assumed liability/safety predictions based on a random single internet photo. Give him your personal insurance guarantee for coverage and I will accept your absolute certainty prediction.

• Disagree
Reactions: VT_EE and ATPMSD
Upvote 0
Hysteria is making Assumed liability/safety predictions based on a random single internet photo. Give him your personal insurance guarantee for coverage and I will accept your absolute certainty prediction.
We’re all a product of our experiences, and my opinion comes from my years as a truck driver and a short period as a tire tech. The most stringent DOT regulations on tires applies to the steer tires of commercial vehicles.

These are the requirements from 49 CFR Part 396 for steer tires. Sidewall damage is only a problem if the “ply or belt material is exposed.” I’ve never heard of a truck failing inspection for a cut like the above, and I’ve never heard of a company that would replace one for a superficial cut. It’s not a close call; the cords aren’t exposed so the tire is just fine.

IMG_0512.jpeg

Upvote 0
We’re all a product of our experiences, and my opinion comes from my years as a truck driver and a short period as a tire tech. The most stringent DOT regulations on tires applies to the steer tires of commercial vehicles.

These are the requirements from 49 CFR Part 396 for steer tires. Sidewall damage is only a problem if the “ply or belt material is exposed.” I’ve never heard of a truck failing inspection for a cut like the above, and I’ve never heard of a company that would replace one for a superficial cut. It’s not a close call; the cords aren’t exposed so the tire is just fine.

View attachment 950147
If his inquiry was for a Peterbuilt truck I would accept your certainty. As it’s a performance heavy car with his Family on board not so much sorry.

Upvote 0
If his inquiry was for a Peterbuilt truck I would accept your certainty. As it’s a performance heavy car with his Family on board not so much sorry.
You do realize that the same roads you drive on also contain Peterbilt trucks, right? If they're regularly driving around on dangerous tires you're in every bit as much danger as if you are.

Reactions: Pianewman
Upvote 0