Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is this range stat normal? :(

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

drupe14

2021 Model 3 Performance
Sep 25, 2018
washington DC
LR AWD model 3 purchased in Aug 2018.

picture attached showing trip stats since last charge. When charging to 95% and driving till 18%, total miles shows 151.9. That seems way too low, thoughts?

Local temps have been high of 50 and lows of 28 degrees.

I’m thinking I may need Tesla to take gander.

Attachments

• 25EF0956-9807-403D-9933-1F007176097B.jpeg
    25EF0956-9807-403D-9933-1F007176097B.jpeg
    983.1 KB · Views: 83
I am thinking that you made many smaller trips when you went from 95% to 18 % over multiple days, and if thats the case, there is likely nothing wrong and no need for you to engage tesla.

There is a ton of information in the master thread stickied up top, with many many people talking about range loss:

MASTER THREAD: Range Loss, What Can Be Expected, How to Maintain Battery Health

I am currently perusing the thread, thanks!

I did make smaller trips - however I was reading the stat as “total miles driven” since last charge. Is that not correct?

With the colder weather, you can expect about 30% drop in range. With you indicate using 23% of the battery. That suggest that your range would be about 165 miles. Showing 152 of 165 and assuming that this was not on a trip (straight driving) with additional energy for warming the battery and cabin multiple times, then it's pretty close to target.
It should be in the same neighborhood that you got last winter.

You lost 16kWh when not driving. That's about 60 miles of range. How many hours has your car been sitting since its last charge? Your car can easily lose more than 1 mile of range an hour, especially if it's cold.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
I did make smaller trips - however I was reading the stat as “total miles driven” since last charge. Is that not correct?
What people are getting at is that that meter only accumulates the data while the car is in Drive. It is not counting various vampire losses while the car sits for hours or overnight parked. So there is extra energy usage that does not show up in that meter.

picture attached showing trip stats since last charge. When charging to 95% and driving till 18%, total miles shows 151.9. That seems way too low, thoughts?

Local temps have been high of 50 and lows of 28 degrees.

I’m thinking I may need Tesla to take gander.

I'll assume you have 310 miles at a full charge (may be less, but it doesn't matter much).

310rmi*(0.95-0.18)*230Wh/rmi = 54.9kWh.

Your trip meter: 151.9mi*268Wh/mi = 40.7kWh.

Untracked usage: 54.9kWh - 40.7kWh = 14.2kWh

This is energy you have lost while in park. It's an upper limit, since you may not have used exactly 310rmi*(0.95-0.18) = 239 rated miles, due to your full charge not being 310 rated miles.

Very likely nothing to worry about. Would be good to know how long it has been since your 95% charge and what features you've been using. Which as mentioned above, are not included on the trip meter/since last charge data, when the car is in Park.

The 230Wh/rmi number is from the current understanding of the approximate discharge constant for the AWD Model 3:

Lines and Constants

Last edited:
I accidentally charged to 100% after the latest update....dont know how it changed from 90% to 100% but oh well....the 100% charge gave me 304 miles......drove to 132 miles and went to supercharger today.....set charge to 90%.....started charging at 65kW...265 mi/hr..........when completed, I had 279 miles, which was what I was originally getting when we bought the car......after several update prior to current one, mileage after 90% charging was all over the place....ranging from 264 to 283.......

If I am correct, I should theoretically expect to get 310 miles at 100% charge.......I cannot complain because this is the what the car is programmed to do.....so I am a happy camper.......

although I am seeing low kWh/mile reading (130 to 245) on average, I understand there is still some phantom drain as the car tries to go to sleep

I have tried to use TeslaFi on 2 different occasions......I could not get car to sleep......deleted and tried again day before yesterday......I also set the sentry standby mode to off......this worked after the second try.......however, we ran some errands last night and when we returned home, the car would no go to sleep for over 3 hrs......again I deleted TeslaFi and car went to sleep.......I used the default settings and adjusted them for a faster sleep time based on the advise from TeslaFi but to no avail......

Does anyone know of another app that gives the same type of car information that might work better that I could try?

Reactions: KenC
I am happy with Stats For tesla. The developer claims it does not contribute to vampire drain and so far I have not experienced any. I find the stats on battery health in the app to be helpful and reassuring.

Joe,

Are you having any issues with the app posting charges to the graph? After charging I cannot get it to transfer to the graph. It hasn't posted anything since last Monday. Before that, there was another 1 week hiatus. I was actually using this app to find out how much money I am saving and also how much my car is contributing to the electricity bill.

Thanks.

Joe,

Are you having any issues with the app posting charges to the graph? After charging I cannot get it to transfer to the graph. It hasn't posted anything since last Monday. Before that, there was another 1 week hiatus. I was actually using this app to find out how much money I am saving and also how much my car is contributing to the electricity bill.

Thanks.

Stats loses data for me all the time. Whenever the car has limited internet connection (which is common in my work parking garage), data gets lost. As a result the total vampire statistics are fantastically optimistic (lots of missed periods of drain), or just inaccurate.

But still, good enough for me. I wouldn't use it as a method of figuring out your vehicle costs. I would just multiply your trip meter by 1.25 to 1.5 or so for that information. Just as an estimate.

Stats loses data for me all the time. Whenever the car has limited internet connection (which is common in my work parking garage), data gets lost. As a result the total vampire statistics are fantastically optimistic (lots of missed periods of drain), or just inaccurate.

But still, good enough for me. I wouldn't use it as a method of figuring out your vehicle costs. I would just multiply your trip meter by 1.25 to 1.5 or so for that information. Just as an estimate.

Thanks. Great information. I'm a little disappointed, but I think that the Tesla updates may be playing a role in Stats not working correctly.