Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is this the best sounding Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Very impressive and am totally jelly!!!!!

I have to ask one thing though, the one 10" sub is enough low end for what seems like it would have more high and mid volume?

The Illusion Carbon C10XL is one of my favorite subwoofers to use. It has great power handling and has a ton of attack. The way it is tuned and time aligned, it blends perfectly into the fronts making it sound like there is a subwoofer located dead center of the dashboard.

Reactions: byeLT4
Just one question...

WTF is this all about? I blame the installer.

wtf.png

@Dickerns, can you as OP please comment on difference in sound quality vs. Tesla UHF (and/or Tesla standard audio) and also the cost of the upgrade? I suppose that if you start a thread on the best sounding Tesla you would want to share that info with us, right?

@Dickerns, can you as OP please comment on difference in sound quality vs. Tesla UHF (and/or Tesla standard audio) and also the cost of the upgrade? I suppose that if you start a thread on the best sounding Tesla you would want to share that info with us, right?
I have not had a chance to listen too much to the car as I'm currently out of town. However, after I picked it up from Safe & Sound yesterday afternoon, I spent quite a bit of time listening to music since I was caught in the rush hour traffic and when I finally got home, I remained in the garage for another hour. What I have noticed is that there is no distortion whatever no matter how loud the volume is. When I was listening to some of the jazz songs, it seemed as if the musicians were right there in front of me. There is no question that the new system is far superior to the UHFS, but is the difference in sound worth the cost of a Model 3? I don't know yet. I will need more time before I can answer that question. I want to concentrate on enjoying the new system and forget about what I paid for it for now.

As I said in my original post, the UHFS is not bad at all, but it's not audiophile. The vocals are simply not there, there is a tremendous amount of bass and overall, the sound is decent. Listening to Jazz on UHFS vs the new system is night and day.

Give me some time to answer whether the difference in sound quality was worth the investment. All I can is that I was blown away by what I heard yesterday.

Hello everyone!!!

I am super excited! In two weeks, Matt will begin work on my Tesla. At one point in my early career, I was a radio announcer for a few radio stations in my hometown of Chesapeake, Va. (My undergrad degree is in Mass Communications). I had the honor of working WNSB FM Jazz 91, WNOR AM 1230 (Top 40 R/B) and WNOR FM 99 (Album Oriented Rock/Prog )(i.e. Led Zeppelin, Genesis Rush…).

While working at these radio stations, and going through college, I was making $3.35 an hour. After graduation what did I do? I joined the army. In my 21 years in the military as a quartermaster (logistics) and being deployed all over the world, I still liked the aforementioned music formats but have stretched out my musical taste in New Age, Electronic, Chill, Downtempo, Alternative and a bit of Country.

I am an audiophile and REALLY appreciate a great sound system. I have B&W floor speakers in my basement and have hundreds of CD’s, SACD and thousands of MP3’s. Music is my life.

So, like @Dickerns, I done a lot of research in stepping up my system in the Tesla. I read comments from others, and found out about Matt on this forum last year with @Xenoilphobe post of his system. I visited and spoke with Matt at least four times. Recently, his team tinted my windows.

My MS Tesla is a 2015 70D Titanium. I purchased it in Rockville as an “inventory model”. I really enjoy this car. I have updated exterior and interior lighting (I.e. puddle, rear T, rear applique, door sills) wheels, tires, Modesta, just to name a few. I look at my Tesla as an investment. People have asked me how much I have paid for this car. I never mentioned price. Even my wife (God bless her) doesn’t know much I have spent in and on this vehicle.

With that said, the first week in May will be my turn. However unlike @Dickerns, I will do my upgrade in two parts (and the price will not be as nearly costly as his).

The first being: The second (later this year) will be amongst other things will be:

Subwoofer illusion Carbon C10 Amp: Focal 6 channel FDP900.6

Custom fiberglass sub enclosure Lighted T DSP: Mosconi 8 to12 (mini remote)

MESA 4AWG Power AMP 100A ½ amp install Speakers: Illusion C6 2 way

1 x BattMobile Battery

Reactions: fabricator
Hello everyone!!!

I am super excited! In two weeks, Matt will begin work on my Tesla. At one point in my early career, I was a radio announcer for a few radio stations in my hometown of Chesapeake, Va. (My undergrad degree is in Mass Communications). I had the honor of working WNSB FM Jazz 91, WNOR AM 1230 (Top 40 R/B) and WNOR FM 99 (Album Oriented Rock/Prog )(i.e. Led Zeppelin, Genesis Rush…).

While working at these radio stations, and going through college, I was making $3.35 an hour. After graduation what did I do? I joined the army. In my 21 years in the military as a quartermaster (logistics) and being deployed all over the world, I still liked the aforementioned music formats but have stretched out my musical taste in New Age, Electronic, Chill, Downtempo, Alternative and a bit of Country.

I am an audiophile and REALLY appreciate a great sound system. I have B&W floor speakers in my basement and have hundreds of CD’s, SACD and thousands of MP3’s. Music is my life.

So, like @Dickerns, I done a lot of research in stepping up my system in the Tesla. I read comments from others, and found out about Matt on this forum last year with @Xenoilphobe post of his system. I visited and spoke with Matt at least four times. Recently, his team tinted my windows.

My MS Tesla is a 2015 70D Titanium. I purchased it in Rockville as an “inventory model”. I really enjoy this car. I have updated exterior and interior lighting (I.e. puddle, rear T, rear applique, door sills) wheels, tires, Modesta, just to name a few. I look at my Tesla as an investment. People have asked me how much I have paid for this car. I never mentioned price. Even my wife (God bless her) doesn’t know much I have spent in and on this vehicle.

With that said, the first week in May will be my turn. However unlike @Dickerns, I will do my upgrade in two parts (and the price will not be as nearly costly as his).

The first being: The second (later this year) will be amongst other things will be:

Subwoofer illusion Carbon C10 Amp: Focal 6 channel FDP900.6

Custom fiberglass sub enclosure Lighted T DSP: Mosconi 8 to12 (mini remote)

MESA 4AWG Power AMP 100A ½ amp install Speakers: Illusion C6 2 way

1 x BattMobile Battery[/

Interesting that we have similar backgrounds and tastes! I was in Chesapeake this weekend for my annual trip to Ballahack Airsoft with my son.
I started as a tech doing installs for a guy named Demetri in 1986 at a shop called Auto Sound Electronics in Fairfax and I think you got my hourly rate right too! I ended up in the Army working in a Electronic Maintenance Shop for a few years and then onto other interesting jobs all over the world. Best decision I ever made!

It's interesting to see how far technology has come in the mobile electronic industry and in my opinion there is no better platform than the Model S to develop an audiophile grade system. The lack of ambient electronic and mechanical noise from the ICE (internal compression engine) sets a new bar for how quiet this car can be. Additionally Matts discovery of the 250AMP threshold on the D.C. To D.C. Converter opens up the door to so many possibilities when combined with the enhanced Lithium ion LV battery. ( btw I loved the part in the video where tesla can reflash the software to handle the lead acid to AGM charging profile - it's awesome to see a tech that REALLY understands the potential of this car.)

Sounds like a great setup. If I wasn't dropping $30k a year into college for my daughter Matt would be doing my car now and like you I could never tell my wife!

I am a bit of an audiophile, but I can't imagine upgrading my Tesla Model S because there is too much background noise.

The wind, the rattles, etc.

If I did get a system it would largely be sound dampening, noise cancelation, etc. Where it mostly focused on reducing all that background noise so I could enjoy the music. Versus just trying to override all that noise with lots of decibels.

Reactions: DJ 240V
Interesting that we have similar backgrounds and tastes! I was in Chesapeake this weekend for my annual trip to Ballahack Airsoft with my son.
I started as a tech doing installs for a guy named Demetri in 1986 at a shop called Auto Sound Electronics in Fairfax and I think you got my hourly rate right too! I ended up in the Army working in a Electronic Maintenance Shop for a few years and then onto other interesting jobs all over the world. Best decision I ever made!

It's interesting to see how far technology has come in the mobile electronic industry and in my opinion there is no better platform than the Model S to develop an audiophile grade system. The lack of ambient electronic and mechanical noise from the ICE (internal compression engine) sets a new bar for how quiet this car can be. Additionally Matts discovery of the 250AMP threshold on the D.C. To D.C. Converter opens up the door to so many possibilities when combined with the enhanced Lithium ion LV battery. ( btw I loved the part in the video where tesla can reflash the software to handle the lead acid to AGM charging profile - it's awesome to see a tech that REALLY understands the potential of this car.)

Sounds like a great setup. If I wasn't dropping $30k a year into college for my daughter Matt would be doing my car now and like you I could never tell my wife!

Wow - I used to live about 10 minutes from Ballahack Road! Too cool!

My son is graduating from UMD next month. We were lucky; he had scholarships and will start work at PAX River in June. I hope to meet you at one of the Tesla events in our area. I am always around.

Hello everyone!!! (slight edits)

I am super excited! In two weeks, Matt will begin work on my Tesla. At one point in my early career, I was a radio announcer for a few radio stations in my hometown of Chesapeake, Va. (My undergrad degree is in Mass Communications). I had the honor of working at WNSB FM Jazz 91, WNOR AM 1230 (Top 40 R/B) and WNOR FM 99 (Album Oriented Rock/Prog )(i.e. Led Zeppelin, Genesis Rush…).

The first being:

Subwoofer illusion Carbon C10

Custom fiberglass sub enclosure Lighted T

MESA 4AWG Power AMP 100A ½ amp install

The second (later this year) will be amongst other things will be:

Amp: Focal 6 channel FDP900.6

DSP: Mosconi 8 to12 (mini remote)

Speakers: Illusion C6 2 way

1 x BattMobile Battery