Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is this too much guys 😂 [using a car cover]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Will be gone for a week and park her outside. Is it too much for this?

1676597251203.jpeg

1676597277541.jpeg

Will be gone for a week and park her outside. Is it too much for this?

View attachment 908045

View attachment 908046

If it were a garage queen porsche 911 turbo, or something like that, sure. This is a regular commuter car, closer to a toyota camry or a honda accord than a porsche 911 or some other garage queen type car (acceleration notwithstanding).

If it makes you feel better though, /shrug. I dont think thats going to protect your car from anything though.

Get the car PPF coated and per all the comments above, the cover will cause more abrasion damage than keeping it uncovered. I have close to 40,000 km on my 2021 MSLR and (with PPF) details to 'like new' condition every time. If it is sunny, put a windshield shade inside.

Reactions: Made in CA
I agree outdoor use is kinda dumb due to eventually causing more damage then good however it is difficult to find a light cover made for indoor garage applications. I have a 96 classic Merc SL which is stored all winter in a heated garage, had a heck of a time finding a very light indoor cover. Actually cut off the retaining straps on the one I did manage to find. They all seem to be several layers thick and boast waterproof and wind proof design. Probably a decent untapped market out there for light weight machine washable ones meant for keeping the dust off indoors.

I agree outdoor use is kinda dumb due to eventually causing more damage then good however it is difficult to find a light cover made for indoor garage applications. I have a 96 classic Merc SL which is stored all winter in a heated garage, had a heck of a time finding a very light indoor cover. Actually cut off the retaining straps on the one I did manage to find. They all seem to be several layers thick and boast waterproof and wind proof design. Probably a decent untapped market out there for light weight machine washable ones meant for keeping the dust off indoors.
Just get a roll of painters plastic sheet from Home Depot. They are large enough to cover a car and weighs an ounce or so.

Car covers often do more damage than just leaving it exposed to the elements when outside. Wind will blow dirt and dust under the cover and then continue to rub said dirt against the paint.
I purchased the Tesla brand outside car cover. I rarely use it, but when I do, I find it easy to fit single handed. It fits snuggly, which you would hope as it is made specifically for the Y and has not damaged the paint. However, I would be loath to have it on the car during rain although it is designed to resist the elements.
I would not risk anything but a top end quality cover.

As you’re only gone for a week, the only thing that Would protect it would be the sentry cameras which you are now covering to disassemble them. The cameras would also likely deter unwanted interests to your house knowing your not home.

Indeed. And that is what the Tesla outdoor cover is. I ceramic coated my MYP but the Tesla cover has a soft inside touching the car so I can't imagine it damaging anything. I use my cover a lot in the summer. Have a spot we often go and it has to park outside and under trees. The pitch from the trees makes one helluva mess. The cover works great to keep all that off the car. Just have to take care when rolling it up to keep the inside clean. Quick and easy with two people though. I do kinda daub off the big pitch blobs with a paper towel before removal. I'll buy another one when this one eventually gets ruined.

Reactions: vescrig
Full car cover is great if you're leaving it for a week. Just minimizing dust, bird droppings, sun... not a bad thing.

A half cover is not so good. The straps will rub the bodysides. You have them right on the fender hard edge, which could sand the paint off that edge if it gets really windy.
half cover is more likely to catch wind under as well.

The only time i cover my Tesla up is when I'll be gone for more than a week. I make sure the car has just been washed.

The main reason however is the Gardeners come during that time period and I'm always paranoid they are going to scratch it when they are cleaning around it and moving the trash cans around. My older cars I never worried about them, but the paint on my Tesla isn't the best and it seems to scratch easier. I know the cover can scratch it but it is a custom made cover, ie. Fitted for the Tesla.

I purchased the Tesla brand outside car cover. I rarely use it, but when I do, I find it easy to fit single handed. It fits snuggly, which you would hope as it is made specifically for the Y and has not damaged the paint. However, I would be loath to have it on the car during rain although it is designed to resist the elements.
P.S. Stating the obvious for outside covers🤔: Only cover a really clean car.