Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is this why Model Y feels different from Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I went from a M3LR to an MYP. The MYP always felt a little... less stable than the M3, and I think I found out why. As spirited as I drive the MYP, I've never even heard the tires squeal so I don't think I'm even close to the limit. At the same time, I feel more easily thrown around in the car. I think that's the issue. It's a bigger car, so instead of being more braced against the door during turning in the M3LR, I'm "thrown" and slammed into the door in my MYP. That in combination with the MYP seat being more like a kitchen table chair and the M3 seat feeling more like a lawn chair, makes the MYP FEEL less stable.

Anyone else notice this? Any thoughts?

• Informative
Reactions: tm1v2
I made the same move! It's so subjective, and it doesn't help that the consistency between cars is less than what you might expect. I'm being kind there.

Interestingly, my driver's seat feels almost exactly the same between the two; I'm told the passenger seat in the MYP is much nicer.

As far as the driving experience, I feel the same as you. I really, really miss the planted feeling of the M3LR. I also notice that the MYP "sits" under acceleration much more than the M3LR did. And it's a "P," with a stiffer suspension, I'd expect less of that. At the end of the day, I think it's just that the center of mass is just a bit higher on a slightly heavier car, leading to just enough body roll to feel unsettling.

I switched to 19" wheels and tires - see my signature - and that helped settle some of the "twitchiness" in the steering that I didn't really like on the 21's. I mean, it was just really direct. That might be contributing to what you're feeling. Some people really, really like that - but it's not for me. I would love to see what a MYLR feels like with the 21"s. I have a suspicion that it'd be really close to what I've got.

I'm trying to *not* get MPP coilovers installed. Trying. So. Hard.

I went from a M3LR to an MYP. The MYP always felt a little... less stable than the M3, and I think I found out why. As spirited as I drive the MYP, I've never even heard the tires squeal so I don't think I'm even close to the limit. At the same time, I feel more easily thrown around in the car. I think that's the issue. It's a bigger car, so instead of being more braced against the door during turning in the M3LR, I'm "thrown" and slammed into the door in my MYP. That in combination with the MYP seat being more like a kitchen table chair and the M3 seat feeling more like a lawn chair, makes the MYP FEEL less stable.

Anyone else notice this? Any thoughts?

This is not it unfortunately. The doors are the same and in the same position. There is no additional interior width. The seats are also the same. The Y seats are on risers to make it feel like you are higher up.

You are sitting higher, they raised the roof line, higher center of gravity and something else nobody mentioned is the Y gets tires with more sidewall. More sidewall gives slightly more ground clearance but you get flex in the tires. It will feel a little more sloppy. More sidewall has durability advantages though.

Last edited:
Yes, the Model 3 handles better than the Y. Handling is what you give up in exchange for a usable back seat, a much more spacious interior, etc. I wish that trade-off wasn't necessary but you can't argue with the laws of physics. I had an order in for an M3LR but canceled it and got my MYLR because the Y is a whole lot more comfortable for rear-seat passengers and generally is a much more practical car.

The good news is that the acceleration boost is available to make the MYLR just as fast as the M3LR. With regard to acceleration, no trade-off is necessary!

LOL Camaro vs Tahoe is pretty extreme, but the point there is valid!

After testing the Y and then the 3, I was surprised how much more I liked driving the 3. They look so similar, feel so similar, ARE so similar...but the 3 handles and feels better going down the road. No two ways about it. I wanted to like the Y more, because I really like having a liftgate...but its driving experience didn't call to me the way the 3 did.

Later I thought back to other cases of a sedan(/hatchback/wagon) with a related crossover where I've driven both, and it all made sense. Subaru Impreza vs Forester, BMW 3-series vs X3, etc. It's the same. The sedan just drives and handles much better. What you gain in packaging with the crossover, you lose in driving dynamics.

I think sporty wagons make for a better tradeoff of utility vs driving dynamics. Clearly most of the car market disagrees with me though! 😂

If memory serves Y uses a different body cage design, taller, wider, longer, heavier, seats sit up on raised tracks. There are a number of differences in the builds to account for different feel.

They look more similar than they actually are.

Last edited:
Also when I get behind the wheel of a proper sports car, I'm reminded why they still exist.

Sporty sedans and even some crossovers are plenty fast around the turns these days, why bother with tiny impractical 2 seaters? Oh, right, THAT'S why!

Reactions: Joe Schmoe88
The other thing with Y vs 3 is how incredibly similar they look and feel, outside and inside. Visually it looks like a hatchback 3, and I think that's what I was expecting for driving similarity. Really plays tricks with my mind.

Most brands visually differentiate their crossovers more. I don't recall having the same expectation of other crossovers driving like their sedan cousins.

I have a MYP and a Model 3 LR. The OE struts on the MYP are just way too soft on rebound or compression and it has WAYYYYY to much wheel gap in for a "Performance." The MYLR is fine with its wheel gap. Throwing a nice coilover setup will change the way the car feels significantly, MPP or Ohlins. The sway bars on the MYP are already much thicker than the Model 3, performance or not. Another thing to note is that in the MYP, the tires do have less sidewall BUT are significantly wider than even in staggered form. 275 front and 295 rears vs 235s in the Model 3.

• Informative
Reactions: HSATD and tm1v2
We have both 2022 MYP on 21" Uberrurbines and 2021 Model 3 LR+ on 18" aero wheels at home.
There definitely is a trade off between handling and space...Model 3 just drives better imho. It feels sporty and while MYP actually is a "sport" version of the two it only looks more aggressive with red calipers and giant wheels.
There is only 165kg weight difference between the two but the centre of gravity in model 3 is lower and the car is really glued to the ground. MYP is definitely "OK-ish" but it is a big chunk and feels more like driving a boat:) Quality wise I do not see nay difference between both cars.
2022 MYP (Berlin) has heated wipers and sides of the doors covered in soft material whereas model 3 (China) has the hard plastic.
Camera on MYP is smooth vs stuttering in M3 LR, probably due to newer AMD ryzen processor in MYP (everything is kinda faster).
I actually like the brakes on Model 3 LR better than on MYP, they are smooth and way less aggressive, but MYP definitely has more breaking power.
Besides that, not much difference between cars, with respect to the above mentioned seat comfort - I see no difference.

The other thing with Y vs 3 is how incredibly similar they look and feel, outside and inside. Visually it looks like a hatchback 3, and I think that's what I was expecting for driving similarity. Really plays tricks with my mind.

Most brands visually differentiate their crossovers more. I don't recall having the same expectation of other crossovers driving like their sedan cousins.
I think the closest company that does this with their design language and driving feel will be Mazda and their Kodo design language.

People keep trying to use this cars as sports cars. sorry to tell you there are not, at least not designed that way. Of course you can do stuff to improve them in terms of handling and braking. They are quick, very quick for their classes, at least for now.

We have one MYLR 2021 and one M3LR 2022.
There is no two ways about it, the M3 handles and drives ALOT better than the MY.
Planted, much less jarring a ride and a more comfortable ride quality all around. Also, the MY is a rattle box at 21k miles, the M3 still feels solid at 10k.
Only reason to get the MY is the increased utility. Wish MY suspension was that of a 65k car, not like a 30k Toyota from 1987.

• Informative
Reactions: HSATD and tm1v2
I have MYLR2020. I found the suspension adequate for its class. It is a crossover. Some find the suspension harsh or too soft. I discovered it react a lot for tire pressure. After some trial and error I try to keep it at 45. It is how I personally like it stiff enough although not so harsh. Some guys in this forum are evaluating if the new oem dampers could be better seem they seem to be kind of cheap in comparison to coilovers.

Regarding suspensions there is always a tradeoffs between comfort and sport. Even if you have an adjustable one.