Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is this within Specification

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, I just picked up my car from the service center. Apparently, they cannot fix all misalignment and just told me this is within factory specification. Is that true?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Attachments

• bad.jpg
    bad.jpg
    274.6 KB · Views: 414

I know it can be frustrating because I am sure it catches your eye every time you see your Y. I have seen way worse. Is the hatch leaking? the 2 circled ones could use some more tweaking. If it continues to bother you I would take it to a different service center and ask them. Mine is in now for repairs in addition to what you posted I have a dent in my door.

Just FYI the Tesla V.P.'s watch these forums... the squeaky wheel get greased :)

Reactions: ilikemypizza
I know it can be frustrating because I am sure it catches your eye every time you see your Y. I have seen way worse. Is the hatch leaking? the 2 circled ones could use some more tweaking. If it continues to bother you I would take it to a different service center and ask them. Mine is in now for repairs in addition to what you posted I have a dent in my door.

Just FYI the Tesla V.P.'s watch these forums... the squeaky wheel get greased :)

I hope the V.P.'s can see my post and provide a better solution....

Hi, I just picked up my car from the service center. Apparently, they cannot fix all misalignment and just told me this is within factory specification. Is that true?

Thanks for any suggestions!
That is not “fine”

I’m sure Tesla is going to say it’s “within spec” to get you to be quiet about it. Also because they still don’t know how to build cars with any level of consistency.

How many millimeters of a gap can you tolerate?
If they can't meet your expectations, not anyone else's - I say return it.

It does not mean Tesla shouldn't improve - I still hold Elon accountable for his words, in 2018:

"Most of the design tolerances of the Model 3 are already better than any other car in the world. Soon, they will all be better. This is not enough. We will keep going until the Model 3 build precision is a factor of ten better than any other car in the world. I am not kidding.

"Our car needs to be designed and built with such accuracy and precision that, if an owner measures dimensions, panel gaps, and flushness, and their measurements don't match the Model 3 specs, it just means that their measuring tape is wrong.

"Some parts suppliers will be unwilling or unable to achieve this level of precision. I understand that this will be considered an unreasonable request by some. That's ok, there are lots of other car companies with much lower standards. They just can't work with Tesla."

I wonder what the Tesla VP (hope you're reading this) has to say about this.

Elon Musk's 'Productivity' Email to Tesla Employees Is Required Reading for Every Entrepreneur

Screenshot_20200305-193619_Gallery.jpg

NOTo_O

• Love
Reactions: raggedy
Definitely within specs for MYs that have been produced since the beginning so far. Taillight alignment is a dumpster fire. If they align the body lights front to back with the hatch lights, the body lights are misaligned with the body. And the hatch lights aren’t really parallel with the body lights when looking from the rear (they tend to have a wider gap at the top, narrower gap at the bottom), unless they align them on that axis and, as a result, misalign them somewhere else. I recommend just making sure they don’t rub on each other when the hatch open/closes, but other than that, adjustment appears futile. Similar to headlights. Those are either not flush with the lower bumper on the bottom, or not spaced evenly within the fender, etc. bottom line, only look at Tesla lights from 5 yards away or more

Reactions: raggedy and Za_c
If you haven't, ask what the spec is and verify. It's surprising to me no one calls them out on this.

A asked the manager at Owings Mills what the panel gap spec was, and he quickly said 3/16". I was about to challenge the ridiculousness of that claim, but quickly realized that everyone else there I had spoken with was much nicer and more reasonable. The minor issues my MY had are being fixed and I'm enjoying the car.

I think the TMY hatches look off because there is no gap forward of the hatch. There has to be some gap in the hatch area, it just happens to catch your eye because, again, there is not gap forward of the hatch. As long as the other body lines (on top of this piece) match up, I would say its ok.

As for the taillight, I hope though I do not know for certain, that a replacement is going to be coming at some point. That tail lamp miss-alignment seems to be very common. I may have read here or on FB that a service tech said it has to do with the way the taillight clips in. If they do come out with an updated piece, you should be able to ask for the replacement when it becomes widely available.

They told me these were within spec...

Your taillights looks to be more flushed than mine. Has anyone brought up the same issue when they were told "within spec" and had it fixed successfully by a service center at a late appointment?

Attachments

• 20200721_043726.jpg
    20200721_043726.jpg
    268.4 KB · Views: 233
  • 20200721_043552.jpg
    20200721_043552.jpg
    222.2 KB · Views: 217
  • 20200721_043532.jpg
    20200721_043532.jpg
    290.3 KB · Views: 209
  • 20200721_043624.jpg
    20200721_043624.jpg
    202.9 KB · Views: 203
  • 20200721_043650.jpg
    20200721_043650.jpg
    198.6 KB · Views: 268
Last edited:
They told me these were within spec...

Your taillights looks to be more flushed than mine. Has anyone brought up the same issue and had it fixed successfully by a service center?

This is Y I may just reject mine if it’s not perfect. How do you know if the service center will fix it or if they will say “within spec” and move on.

Will they let you drive it before accepting? We could at least get a test drive out of it if nothing else.

The build quality of Tesla model Y is not up to the standards of Mercedes or BMW or even Subaru or Honda. That is a fact that is obvious to everybody. I suspect that this will eventually improve. If it doesn’t, the technology will not compensate and sales will begin to fall. Especially as the competition heats up. I suspect that the EVs coming from old line manufacturers will not have these fitment and alignment problems. That being said, I have to admit that driving my MY is a joy. I have only had very minor issues so far. The tail light fitment problem seems to be very common...don’t know why it hasn’t been corrected. It is very obviously not “within spec”. Panel gaps and alignment should not be that difficult to correct at manufacture. Most other car companies are way past this. I have owned many cars and the last time I had to return to dealer for a problem was probably 30 years ago!