Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is your best friend a 3 pin plug?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
until you see the price... it rises rapidly from £3k and don't be surprised if its several times that.
That’s my point: a significant cost of the upgrade is digging road and Civils works.
If you’re doing them anyway, maybe the cost uplift won’t be that much.

Hopefully WPD will be able to just swap the fuse for a 80 or 100A one without major disruption, though

Ta, think 10m should cover my needs. My periodic overnights are at the in-laws so that will be the main use case for the cable and top-up of (free) juice :)

Might be a little too cheeky to ask them to install an external 32A commando socket...

I plan to install a 32A commando socket at both sets grandparents houses. The kids love the Tesla, and the grandparents love seeing their grandchildren, does mean I’ll have no excuses for not visiting them often

I plan to install a 32A commando socket at both sets grandparents houses. The kids love the Tesla, and the grandparents love seeing their grandchildren, does mean I’ll have no excuses for not visiting them often

I like the thought of a commando socket, but those in the know tell me that after complying with current regulations it’s not significantly cheaper than installing a dedicated charge point.

That £3k starting point won't include any digging... thats where the 'several times that' comes in. Certainly worth a quote though.

Scary prices for 3-phase. My single phase supply comes off a high tension supply across my own field 250yds away via a transformer on a pole and poles to the house. Sparky who fitted the wall charger does a lot of industrial 3-phase stuff and guesstimated £10K to get 3 phase in in that simple scenario with no digging. So single phase it is.

Scary prices for 3-phase. My single phase supply comes off a high tension supply across my own field 250yds away via a transformer on a pole and poles to the house. Sparky who fitted the wall charger does a lot of industrial 3-phase stuff and guesstimated £10K to get 3 phase in in that simple scenario with no digging. So single phase it is.

Our three phase connection for a rural new build was just under 100m from connection point, underground but needing a new transformer. Also £10k excluding digging. Single phase wasn't significantly cheaper.

I've seen another quote to upgrade another residential property from single to three phase. Closer connection, over ground, yet a higher cost. They were interested in it for ground source and just future proofing. Didn't go ahead. I guess it was also funding a new transformer but I still don't know why it was so expensive. It shows there's a lot of variation though.

Worth raising a caution that (as far as I can work out) there are no new generation three phase smart meters available yet, and they don't appear to be imminent either.

• Informative
Reactions: Roy W.
after complying with current regulations it’s not significantly cheaper than installing a dedicated charge point.

If you are using your own UMC then Commando Socket is probably cheapest way to get decent kW at occasional-use sites, such as Relies.

If you fit Commando and also buy an EVSE cable, so as not to put wear-and-tear on your UMC cable (so basically this would be a frequently-used solution) then, yes, its much the same price as a wall charger

upload_2019-11-11_8-49-15.png

So using M3 TMC/UMC the 3-pin plug can deliver 2.3kW (10A) (9/10 miles of range added per hour).

Can anyone help complete the following:

16A Blue Commando:
? kW ? A ? Miles added per hour

32A Blue Commando:

Assume single phase only.

View attachment 475458

So using M3 TMC/UMC the 3-pin plug can deliver 2.3kW (10A) (9/10 miles of range added per hour).

Can anyone help complete the following:

16A Blue Commando:

32A Blue Commando:

Assume single phase only.

You should nominally get:

16A Blue Commando:
3.6kW - 16A - 15 Miles added per hour

32A Blue Commando:
7.2kW - 32A - 30 Miles added per hour