Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

It’s been 1051 days since I paid in full for FSD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Apparently the upgrade takes a couple hours, most of which is spent installing software versus 10 minutes to physically install the part. They need to shift all the software installs onto the customer if this has any hope of scaling up.

Maybe once Tesla has more experience with doing the upgrade, they will. I imagine that whatever software changes are required, the changes could be packaged into an OTA software update and pushed to the customer's car just like every other OTA software update we get?

Some info from a recent Model X AP2.5 that got the AP3 computer upgrade:
- Upgrade was performed at the customer's house by a Mobile Service team.
- Upgrade was completely free, no charge.
- Installation of physical computer took about 1 hour. Then, firmware update took another 2 hours. Then, latest software was uploaded.
- AP3 computer is hefier, with 2 big radiators on it.

Tesla owner upgrades Autopilot 2.5 to 3.0 Hardware: Cost, results, and more

• Love
  • Helpful
Reactions: jebinc and NHK X
- Installation of physical computer took about 1 hour. Then, firmware update took another 2 hours. Then, latest software was uploaded.

Interesting that it could be done in 10 min (for the hardware) if the car hadn’t had issues with going into service mode.

Again, this is HW2.5+MCU2 combination, they mostly don’t need to do anything with their current software.

Good luck with HW2.5+MCU1 even hopeless HW2.0+MCU1.

I wonder though, from a business and investor perspective.... It seems like they would like to spread the upgrades out over a longer period of time to minimize negative earnings impact (cost w/o revenue) in any one quarter or year - Also, less cars will require conversion if the upgrade rollout is a protracted one (cars get traded, scrapped, etc.). Time will tell us what strategy was ultimately employed.

What about deferred revenue? Could that be an incentive to get the retrofits done? Even if the ratio of HW2 and 2.5 cars are diminishing with time, it still must be a decent amount of money to make the effort worth it (once they optimize the process to reduce man hours). If the upcoming updates truly require HW3, then isn’t it in Tesla’s best interest to install as quickly as possible, so long as the release of features occurs shortly after the upgrades occur?

P.s. I don’t care for another rehash if the old debate surrounding optimism/cynicism regarding Tesla and what the future holds.

What about deferred revenue? Could that be an incentive to get the retrofits done? Even if the ratio of HW2 and 2.5 cars are diminishing with time, it still must be a decent amount of money to make the effort worth it (once they optimize the process to reduce man hours). If the upcoming updates truly require HW3, then isn’t it in Tesla’s best interest to install as quickly as possible, so long as the release of features occurs shortly after the upgrades occur?

P.s. I don’t care for another rehash if the old debate surrounding optimism/cynicism regarding Tesla and what the future holds.
There are opposing forces. As I mentioned earlier, time will tell as to what the actual deployment (and likely objective) is (was).

I would say that the incremental roll out of features was a fantastic choice and will prove to be the only way FSD is developable in the end.

However, to figure out what Mr. Dome should be refunded or credited is much more difficult.

The most straightforward part of the analysis would be that some number of buyers purchased FSD for an extra $3k from late 2016 until late 2018. That breaks down into two questions: (1) should a portion of that be refunded now? and (2) should all of it be credited if the owner trades in for another Tesla? I would argue that as to question (2) the answer would be an easy "yes" now, and probably through 2020.

If, the computer upgrade is done, and the other FSD features are released, then I guess the question shifts first, to my question (1): To Dome, who will have three years of no FSD, its not the same as some one who purchases a car in late 2019 and only has a couple of months in the same situation.

When all the hardware is upgraded and the features released, at least at that point there will be a measurement.

The problem is then going to be assigning some money to expectations. For that, one has to somehow calculate what Mr. Dome reasonably expected in the fall of 2016. Then, of course, what of those who bought in late 2017 or late 2018? They would not have ended up waiting as long.

By early 2019, the pricing had changes so much that even though FSD purchasers have, as of now, paid for something that is as yet undelivered, the roll out of the remaining FSD features should solve that issue.

The question, discussed to death elsewhere, of whether a particular person is satisfied with a feature, really does not lend itself to any rational analysis. Depending on their point of view, a particular buyer might be entirely satisfied (me) or completely un-satisfied until the car can drive itself with no occupant (not unreasonable either).

I traded in our early Vin S85 when AP2.0 came out, Elon was promising FSD in a couple months, even had a slick video showing FSD working. On Dec 31st 2016 we picked it up and paid for EAP & FSD. 1051 days later and still nothing. I can’t even get them to upgrade to the FSD computer. Getting ready to sell my stock since I’ve lost faith they will do what’s right for the AP2.0/MCU1 folks. I don’t want to start bashing them, negative selling never works, but How to we get Elon to get this fixed for those that floated him an $3,000 loan 3 years ago? Time to pay up! What platform do we use to get the message through that we have had enough?
1062 days and counting for me. I expect my car to drive just like it showed in that video...I was told it had the necessary hardware and only needed software updates and regulatory approval.

He has received literally nothing. o_O
You're right. What I was driving at was that its not just one person, its some larger number that spent the same $3k at different times.

I would probably offer everyone a refund, and if they wanted to buy back in at any point they could do so at the same price.

I would think it would be a very positive step, and we now know that Tesla has not even been able to book that revenue anyway, so its not even a charge against profits. But it would be spun negatively.

First of all, you should not be telling AP2 owners that they will not get the upgrade when you don't know that for a fact.

I am entitled to my views, which incidentally are far more informed that yours’ are on this one. That said, common decendy these days dictates that as a fellow AP2/FSD buyer I am also far more entitled than you to voice an opinion on this. Welcome to the 21st century. ;)
Second, not sure why you singled me out by name. There are plenty of other posters who start thread on new features. Also what are we supposed to do? Never post another thread about noteworthy Tesla news or new features until every single AP2 owner gets their FSD computer?

No, I mentioned it because you are active in a thread that does not involve your case, telling people how they should perceive their situation — which again does not involve you. Basically you are addressing a non-privileged group from a privileged position. It is merely the reality that very likely that enventually means we’ll be left with our situation whilst you and people like you have moved on to new things and features.

So, maybe just be a bit more considerate before opining so strongly on cases where you can’t really belong. Not because of fancy words or points of privilege, but because it really just is the decent thing to do.

What are you doing? Are you trying to turn a knife in the wound or what is the purpose of this message in an AP2 MCU1 2016 FSD pack thread?

I would say that the incremental roll out of features was a fantastic choice and will prove to be the only way FSD is developable in the end.

However, to figure out what Mr. Dome should be refunded or credited is much more difficult.

The most straightforward part of the analysis would be that some number of buyers purchased FSD for an extra $3k from late 2016 until late 2018. That breaks down into two questions: (1) should a portion of that be refunded now? and (2) should all of it be credited if the owner trades in for another Tesla? I would argue that as to question (2) the answer would be an easy "yes" now, and probably through 2020.

If, the computer upgrade is done, and the other FSD features are released, then I guess the question shifts first, to my question (1): To Dome, who will have three years of no FSD, its not the same as some one who purchases a car in late 2019 and only has a couple of months in the same situation.

When all the hardware is upgraded and the features released, at least at that point there will be a measurement.

The problem is then going to be assigning some money to expectations. For that, one has to somehow calculate what Mr. Dome reasonably expected in the fall of 2016. Then, of course, what of those who bought in late 2017 or late 2018? They would not have ended up waiting as long.

By early 2019, the pricing had changes so much that even though FSD purchasers have, as of now, paid for something that is as yet undelivered, the roll out of the remaining FSD features should solve that issue.

The question, discussed to death elsewhere, of whether a particular person is satisfied with a feature, really does not lend itself to any rational analysis. Depending on their point of view, a particular buyer might be entirely satisfied (me) or completely un-satisfied until the car can drive itself with no occupant (not unreasonable either).

Yeah, and the thing that makes it twice troublesome is that the full remedy simply can no longer be ”let’s deliver FSD” if you want to ”get” everyone. I don’t expect anything more (in fact I don’t expect even that in the full sense of the word), but in reality it is not sufficient anymore.

The reason is simple: Compare a person buying a used 2016 AP2 Tesla today and one that bought the car new in 2016. Let’s even assume the purchase prices are comparable so that neither is a better deal, just a comparable value / value loss due to age. (Not really realistic since Tesla has dropped prices, but let’s assume for a moment.)

Both are in theory on the same boat when it comes to FSD features, HW3 retrofits and what have you. If there was some priority, the 2016 new car buyer might even have some priority over the used car buyer. But still the used car buyer would never be a) a victim of Tesla’s cheat back in 2016 and b) would not have made their purchase without knowing (or at least having a fair chance to know) of that reality and c) they would not have waited in vain for 3+ years.

So even if we all get FSD tomorrow, a portion of us was still cheated for three years by Tesla, while another portion was not. That makes it tricky to assess what any particular person might subjectively find sufficient.

If you’re so angry, go sue Tesla and let us know how it goes.

Why? I am not angry. I am very calmly stating an unfortunate fact: I am a victim of Tesla’s 2016 AP2 FSD bamboozle. Nobody likes to be a victim of course, but there is no use trying to deflect it either. A lot of us were.

I am merely stating that this group of people are certainly entitled to ther views on it. Those who want to vent and act on the situation, certainly deserve that right.

Those who are not on the same boat, maybe give a little room. You weren’t there.

Reactions: DanCar and KJD