Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Updated] Model 3 CCS / CHAdeMO adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been waiting patiently for this to happen since the Model 3 first started customer deliveries. I have many charging station options around my location that do CCS/CHAdeMO combo. The Supercharger in my city is constantly full this year since model 3 was released.

I understood in 2017 when customers first started taking posession of their cars that they had other big things to work on and charging adapters might not be a high priority. It's been almost 2 years since first deliveries (once july hits) and we still have nothing. This is a huge deal for US and Canadian customers alike. If they truly want to accelerate sustainable transport; they need to deliver on this front. It is not fair that model 3s are exclusively locked into the Supercharger network for fast charging. Tesla has criticized other automakers for not approaching them for getting on-board with adapting their cars for use with Superchargers; but they have not made a way for their model 3 to access even Universal charging standards (CCS) in the US. It is hypocritical and anti EV. It is hard enough as it is to do long range travel, and away from home travel in an EV (even with the supercharger network), locking model 3 owners out of charging options needs to stop.

Don't get me wrong; I love the supercharger network, Tesla, and their mission. But we have to call this out because its not fair and it is long overdue. They obviously can get CCS working as the european models have it built in. ( I know the protocol and connector is different over there, its just an example of how it is possible) How can we get Elon or Tesla's attention on this matter?

Last edited:
This is the middle of the "HD DVD / Blu Ray" or even older " VHS vs Betmax" format wars. Each company wants to win and be the standard. There is no incentive for them to offer this here in the US, when they still want tesla charging to be the standard.

Dont hold your breath too long (my opinions only).. they have no real reason to rush to make this happen other than the few people complaining about it.. and I dont think it effects a lot of people (relatively).

Of course, for each affected person its 100% but as a statistic, I dont think they are losing business because of not having this adapter.

For us it was a show stopper, then it wasn’t, and now it is again. Our province has announced the third phase of its DCFC infrastructure project and includes central and north west interiour and installation of another 53 Chademo DCFC locations in addition to the 70 something already installed. There are 14 Supercharger locations in the province. Sooo

If you own a model S or model X or a Bolt or a new EPlus leaf (soon available) you have a touring car that can travel and tour a significant part of the province.

However, if you own a Tesla Model 3 you are limited to the main highway between Victoria and Calgary Alberta. Locked to a proprietary charging system or slow level 2 charging. So since we can’t afford a model S or X for us we’ll probably choose the new e-plus Leaf. We have some time so maybe they’ll sort it out. Our Tesla sales rep in Vancouver tells us they are still persuing this but nothing concrete. Guess we’ll see.

I've been waiting patiently for this to happen since the Model 3 first started customer deliveries. I have many charging station options around my location that do CCS/CHAdeMO combo. The Supercharger in my city is constantly full this year since model 3 was released.

I understood in 2017 when customers first started taking posession of their cars that they had other big things to work on and charging adapters might not be a high priority. It's been almost 2 years since first deliveries (once july hits) and we still have nothing. This is a huge deal for US and Canadian customers alike. If they truly want to accelerate sustainable transport; they need to deliver on this front. It is not fair that model 3s are exclusively locked into the Supercharger network for fast charging. Tesla has criticized other automakers for not approaching them for getting on-board with adapting their cars for use with Superchargers; but they have not made a way for their model 3 to access even Universal charging standards (CCS) in the US. It is hypocritical and anti EV. It is hard enough as it is to do long range travel, and away from home travel in an EV (even with the supercharger network), locking model 3 owners out of charging options needs to stop.

Don't get me wrong; I love the supercharger network, Tesla, and their mission. But we have to call this out because its not fair and it is long overdue. They obviously can get CCS working as the european models have it built in. ( I know the protocol and connector is different over there, its just an example of how it is possible) How can we get Elon or Tesla's attention on this matter?
You could always send Elon and Tesla a tweet on this issue and see if they respond. I agree with you it would be nice to have more options.

I don't know how hard it is to make CCS adapter, but I would assume CHAdeMO should be easy to do -- they already have adapters for S/X. I know that for some it may not be a big deal, but for others it IS a big deal.

Yep for us it is literally holding up a sale...sort of kind of (have to wait a few months anyway) and could cause the loss of a sale if it goes on long enough. Not blaming Tesla. I’m sure they have their reasons. But we need a practical EV and without Chademo (or CCS) a model 3 is a very limited proprietary vehicle.

Reactions: theredviper
For us it was a show stopper, then it wasn’t, and now it is again. Our province has announced the third phase of its DCFC infrastructure project and includes central and north west interiour and installation of another 53 Chademo DCFC locations in addition to the 70 something already installed. There are 14 Supercharger locations in the province. Sooo

Are they really just CHAdeMO locations and not dual CHAdeMO/CCS?

If you own a model S or model X or a Bolt or a new EPlus leaf (soon available) you have a touring car that can travel and tour a significant part of the province.

If the answer to the question above is yes, then I don't think the Bolt is going to be using them...

Reactions: adaptabl
Tesla has already announced an upcoming CHAdeMO adapter for China. Imagine it will becoming soon after that release for other countries.

Not sure that every country uses exactly the same CHAdeMO configuration, but imagine what works in one region will also work in another.

This is the middle of the "HD DVD / Blu Ray" or even older " VHS vs Betmax" format wars. Each company wants to win and be the standard. There is no incentive for them to offer this here in the US, when they still want tesla charging to be the standard.

I don’t believe this is the case. The Tesla connector won’t be standard and I believe Tesla must know this.

I attribute the lack of Chademo adapter compatibility to lack of foresight, planning, resources, and/or caring on Tesla’s part.

As for the lack of a CCS adapter, I’ve read a fair amount of speculation that the Tesla port is simply incompatible with CCS due to how the charger communicates with the vehicle. If that’s true, despite Tesla being involved with the committee that governs CCS, then idk what to think other than to be very disappointed in Tesla since CCS is pretty clearly the future “standard” DC plug in the US.

• Love
Reactions: GreenT and adaptabl
  • Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
I've pointed this out in another thread, but CHAdeMO is very different then the Supercharger when it comes to controlling the actual charging session. There has to be a lot of testing done by Tesla to insure that the CHAdeMO stations work properly with the 3 battery pack and that the conversion protocols are keeping things safe. To give you an idea, when the Model S first came out, it took Tesla over a year to do this. So even with an existing adapter, I'm not at all surprised it hasn't been released yet. The fact the car recognizes the adapter and puts up a message indicating it's not supported yet is a good sign they are at least working on it. I expect it to be ready very soon or worst case by the time they start shipping cars to Japan (end of 2019).

I've used my CHAdeMO adapter several times on the Model S. So there are definitely still reasons to have one and use one, even with the expanding SC network.

As that actual thread points out- That is the standard part number for the S/X adapter that's been around for years. And does not work with the model 3. (though Tesla has promised they'll fix that "soon" since, what, late 2017 now?)

So doesn't really mean anything.

Well, here's how I see it.

If Tesla had no intention of supporting the Chademo adapter for the Model 3, it wouldn't be in the parts catalog. Period. So, yes, it does mean something.

My interpretation is that it's on the list of things to do. More of a priority, perhaps, when the Model 3 is sold in Japan...

• Funny
Reactions: adaptabl
Well, here's how I see it.

If Tesla had no intention of supporting the Chademo adapter for the Model 3, it wouldn't be in the parts catalog. Period. So, yes, it does mean something.

My interpretation is that it's on the list of things to do. More of a priority, perhaps, when the Model 3 is sold in Japan...

In the mean time are they losing customers? We are not in a hurry and can literally wait a year. Our Leaf works well and serves all our needs. But just in our little coffee group there are two other Leaf owners and one i3 owner waiting. All have said if the Leaf EPlus is available before the Tesla Model 3 is they’ll buy a Leaf EPlus. A model 3 has very limited use with a proprietary charging system. A Leaf E plus is a much more practical car.

If you can wait a year then I'd expect this adapter to be readily available. It's only a matter of time.

I would tweet @Elon too, he can be pretty response for things like this. Alternatively any Tesla owner here could raise a support request for this and see what they come back with.

If you can wait a year then I'd expect this adapter to be readily available. It's only a matter of time.

I would tweet @Elon too, he can be pretty response for things like this. Alternatively any Tesla owner here could raise a support request for this and see what they come back with.

Thanks. Not on twitter but hoping another member of the board can do that on our behalf.

We haven’t lost the faith in Tesla. The worst case sceenario is the next car is not a Tesla and instead an EPlus Leaf. But will probably put a deposit down on a model Y when available. Our model 3 test drives were memorable. Great car.

• Funny
Reactions: SW2Fiddler