Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

It looks like I have LTE enabled

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla has updated hundreds of components in the cars, added Autopilot capability, reconfigured the steering wheel stalks, added dual drive, added an ionizer feature to the HVAC, and are now rolling out LTE. You are not eligible for any of these, or any new components that add features that your car did not have at the time of purchase.

First of all, most of those items listed are new hardware added to cars, not existing equipment that has been updated, so continually bringing up AWD or autopilot are nothing more than red herrings and not applicable here, nor help your argument.

But more importantly, you neither work for, nor represent Tesla Motors, so it baffles me how you speak with such authority on this subject. Why does it grind you so much to battle against what my DS specifically told me *directly* about the pre-paid service plan? You are not my DS, so again, how can you profess to know exactly what he meant in direct conflict of what he actually said?

Again, no, he was specifically referring to the pre-paid service plan. I'm not sure how much more clearer I can explain it. He wasn't talking about updates available to everyone.

The point that others are trying to make, repeatedly, is that it is well known that this is basically a myth. It has never happened. There has never been a case where service plan owners have been given new hardware that non-SP owners haven't. It is a mystery as to why Tesla keep perpetuating this nonsense.

Ask your DS to list a single example of a hardware upgrade that was provided free only to those with service plans.

In any case adding an LTE modem to your car would never be covered, since that would be an upgrade adding a new feature (support for LTE) rather than a fix of a defect in the existing 3G modem.

Just because it hasn't happened (as far as we know) doesn't mean it won't. Since none of you are Tesla Motors, I don't know how you can be so absolutely sure it won't happen.

Maybe if it does happen, you'll all be kicking yourselves in envy for not getting the prepaid plan. I still don't know why it bothers everyone so much since it doesn't effect you at all?

Just because it hasn't happened (as far as we know) doesn't mean it won't. Since none of you are Tesla Motors, I don't know how you can be so absolutely sure it won't happen.

Maybe if it does happen, you'll all be kicking yourselves in envy for not getting the prepaid plan. I still don't know why it bothers everyone so much since it doesn't effect you at all?

HLR: Anything is possible and your DS may be correct and everyone will be very happy when the cars already equipped with the needed LTE chip gets turned on by a firmware update and ones that don't get their present 3G chip removed and the LTE one installed at their next routine servicing.

DSs have been incorrect on their assertions to model S owners in the past. When I purchased my first model S I asked about what the service plan purchase would entall and my DS said it would cover hardware upgrades if the upgrade was included in a package I had (ex tech package). I emailed my DS to confirm this in writing and cc'd George Blankenship. GB quickly got back to me and the DS and indicated this was not the case.

I think you are getting blow back on this as more times than not people on the forums collectively seem to know more about 'most things Tesla' than the DS whom TM employs.

Finally, a reasoned response, thanks. My DS has been employed with Tesla for many years and really knows his "stuff". All my questions to other employees were always referred up the chain to him to answer. Sure, it's possible he was wrong in this case, but he supplied specific promises wrt the service plan that I relied on to guide my purchase, even if it was not in the contract. All I can say is "we'll see" what happens in the future, but I still don't get all the harsh vehemence in this thread. Is it because people can't accept the thought of someone *else* getting something they can't?

Finally, a reasoned response, thanks. My DS has been employed with Tesla for many years and really knows his "stuff". All my questions to other employees were always referred up the chain to him to answer. Sure, it's possible he was wrong in this case, but he supplied specific promises wrt the service plan that I relied on to guide my purchase, even if it was not in the contract. All I can say is "we'll see" what happens in the future, but I still don't get all the harsh vehemence in this thread. Is it because people can't accept the thought of someone *else* getting something they can't?

I have a P85D on order which is being built in August. Based on this thread it seems that it will come with LTE, so I certainly have no axe to grind about this feature. I have a service plan on my current P85, which has proven to be a waste of money, and will not buy one for the P85D.

There are two different points at issue here:
1. Will Tesla retrofit LTE for free to some or all existing cars?
2. Do service plan owners get any benefits that aren't also provided to those who pay for servicing on an ad-hoc basis?

The answer to question 1, in my opinion, is very likely to be "no" but as you say we will have to wait and see.

The short answer to question 2 is "not so far, with only one exception that I know of".

So your DS is not lying to you, in the sense that service plan owners do get the benefits he is describing (subject to limitations that mean for example that it's unlikely to cover new features like LTE). But at the same time he is not being wholly honest with you either in the sense that everyone else gets these benefits too.

Again I would suggest you ask him for an example of a hardware upgrade provided to service plan holders but not to those who pay for their servicing on an ad-hoc basis.(In case you're wondering, the one exception that I know of is that if you have the service plan and a P85+ then when you switch between staggered summer and square winter wheels [which results in a change of radius on the rear axle] Tesla will adjust the rear suspension height for you and do a wheel alignment for free, in the UK at least.)

more data over same bandwidth? That's like more water in 1 liter.
Maybe you meant more data in less time? Either way, you're paying more for higher bandwidth since you tend to consume more.
The tend to consume more is negated in the case of tesla. So all you get with lte is better ux and the possibility of in car wifi (which will for sure cost extra) and maybe 320kbps slacker radio and such better services in the future.

Kuttakamina: No, it's not at all like more water in 1 liter. If you like you can read up on spectral efficiency, beam forming and even more relevant: MIMO

You can push way more bits per 1hz of bandwidth in a given area using MIMO.

3G is wasteful of bandwidth compared to LTE.

If you look at that image, it is a Sierra Wireless AR8550 module. Looking at Sierra Wireless AR8550 HSPA 3G Module Automotive | M2MSupport.net the Sierra Wireless AR8550 supports "HSPA+,HSDPA,EDGE,GPRS,GSM." Sorry folks. None of those is LTE.

To get LTE will take a module upgrade, there seem to be a newer module the AR7552 that should be a plug replacement and supprts LTE as well as the other modes. See Sierra Wireless AR Series.

LTE requires a hardware upgrade for older Model S's.

Again, no, he was specifically referring to the pre-paid service plan. I'm not sure how much more clearer I can explain it. He wasn't talking about updates available to everyone.

I know that's what he thought he was talking about, but he was mistaken. He answered your question about the pre-paid service plan with completely incorrect information. That's what everyone is trying to tell you. But you'll learn soon enough.

- - - Updated - - -

First of all, most of those items listed are new hardware added to cars, not existing equipment that has been updated, so continually bringing up AWD or autopilot are nothing more than red herrings and not applicable here, nor help your argument.

But more importantly, you neither work for, nor represent Tesla Motors, so it baffles me how you speak with such authority on this subject. Why does it grind you so much to battle against what my DS specifically told me *directly* about the pre-paid service plan? You are not my DS, so again, how can you profess to know exactly what he meant in direct conflict of what he actually said?

It's not just me... look around. Others have tried to get some equipment upgraded under the pre-paid service plan and no dice. There is no need to be snarky. Of course I don't work for Tesla Motors. But the person who does, and who did represent them - your DS - was wrong. How about you contact your service center and ask them? I'm sure that will settle the issue in your mind.

- - - Updated - - -

but I still don't get all the harsh vehemence in this thread. Is it because people can't accept the thought of someone *else* getting something they can't?

Actually you haven't gotten anything, so that's clearly not it. Perhaps it's your tone.

Maybe he was wrong. I have the prepaid service plan and wouldn't expect things like parking sensors and folding mirrors to be added without cost.

And once again, just like dual motors and autopilot, neither of those are "upgrades to existing equipment". Is it really that hard of a concept to grasp? I also never said that I expected upgrades to new features like parking sensors or folding mirrors -- both of which require significant new hardware to be added to the car, and obviously do not qualify.

Honestly, until now there really hasn't been any "upgrades to existing equipment" that really could qualify under "hardware upgrades" under the pre-paid service plan. LTE is not "new functionality" nor adding new features.. In every sense of the word, it is a "hardware upgrade" to the existing cellular network hardware, Name one new function or feature (in Model S cars already with LTE) that LTE provides over 3G (I.e. not new, future or potential functions that LTE could enable, like video or wifi hotspot/ tethering), but one actual real feature LTE cars can do now, that 3G cars can not.

I know that's what he thought he was talking about, but he was mistaken. He answered your question about the pre-paid service plan with completely incorrect information.

Are you really that clairvoyant that you still insist that you know better than what he actually said to me? That you know better than a long-term Telsa employee? You can say that you think he's wrong, but you can't say that you know he's wrong just because you know better. You have zero actual inside information, and you're just going on what you are assuming is right. If you have any data to back up your absurd proposition that the DS didn't know what he was taking about, please present it. Otherwise, I'll go by what he told me directly over what someone just guessing what Telsa's policy actually is.

There is no language in the pre-paid service agreement regarding upgrades for anything.

All it includes is:

Vehicle inspection
Replacement or repair at the time of inspection of normal maintenance items and wear and tear parts, excluding the Battery and tires
Wheel alignment
Tire rotation

And everything listed is "subject to change by Tesla at any time and without notice, in its sole discretion".

The document itself will carry more weight than anything verbal.

It's not just me... look around. Others have tried to get some equipment upgraded under the pre-paid service plan and no dice..

And as I mentioned above, every single one of those attempts or requests were for things that did add new features or functionality to a car, like folding mirrors, parking sensors, or heated steering wheel, and it's understandable why TM denied those requests specifically because they were not "upgrades to existing equipment."

And as I mentioned above, every single one of those attempts or requests were for things that did add new features or functionality to a car, like folding mirrors, parking sensors, or heated steering wheel, and it's understandable why TM denied those requests specifically because they were not "upgrades to existing equipment."

Not true.

In late summer 2014 the resolution of the instrument cluster display increased from 1280x480 to 1920x720. The new display has no extra features or functionality; it's just a better component than the old one. No older cars have been upgraded, despite attempts by owners to invoke the "hardware upgrade" clause you are referring to.

For the record I would believe @AmpedRealtor (and many others who post on here) over a first-line Tesla employee any day. I strongly urge you to do the same.

Not true.

In late summer 2014 the resolution of the instrument cluster display increased from 1280x480 to 1920x720. The new display has no extra features or functionality; it's just a better component than the old one. No older cars have been upgraded, despite attempts by owners to invoke the "hardware upgrade" clause you are referring to.

Thanks for some solid data... The difference here being that the higher res screens were not offered as a retrofit, whereas the LTE upgrade (as far as we know now) will be. For service plan holders the retrofit upgrade could be free, or offered at a significantly reduced rate (like just parts or just labor, etc).

Thanks for some solid data... The difference here being that the higher res screens were not offered as a retrofit, whereas the LTE upgrade (as far as we know now) will be. For service plan holders the retrofit upgrade could be free, or offered at a significantly reduced rate (like just parts or just labor, etc).

This I can see but I will be surprised if it is included 'free' as part of the service plan.