Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

It looks like I have LTE enabled

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had a long drive today and did some tests. On most 3G speed tests, the latency was >300ms (one time it was 1099ms!). But with the car tethered to my iPhone on LTE, the speeds weren't that much different from 3G, but the latency was around 100ms for every test.

Map redraws and especially the traffic overlay seemed snappier over the LTE tether (and this was the NYC area, so tons of traffic displayed on a wide zoom out).

Had a long drive today and did some tests. On most 3G speed tests, the latency was >300ms (one time it was 1099ms!). But with the car tethered to my iPhone on LTE, the speeds weren't that much different from 3G, but the latency was around 100ms for every test.

Map redraws and especially the traffic overlay seemed snappier over the LTE tether (and this was the NYC area, so tons of traffic displayed on a wide zoom out).

Latency is key, really. About 5Mbit downstream is sufficient for Model S, but the lower the latency, the better.

@sorka, I live in the SF Bay Area and find my 3G works essentially all the time. Very reliable. I am currently in Yosemite National Park area, staying very near the Hwy 120 park entrance. Had good 3G (enough for steaming Slacker and navigation) all the way across the Central Valley, through the foothills, and to Groveland before it quit. Have been driving the Hwy 120 Tioga Pass road the past few days and of course there is no signal there.
I am puzzled as to why you have such poor 3G access in the Bay Area.

I'm pretty sure it's an actual issue. A few times when I don't get signal for a good half hour, I've had one of my co-workers check their MS and they're still getting 3g.

Get it checked out. I've had my models in the bay area for 2.5 years without any coverage issues except in very small well know trouble spots where I know from history that my cell phone calls drop as well.

Sorka, Have Tesla take a look at it. Sounds like your antenna is bad. I've read posts from other people that had this problem and Tesla was able to fix it by replacing the side mirror. (the antenna is in there)

Unless you recently got a new Model S, FlasherZ, I'm guessing you're talking about giving the car access to an LTE hotspot.

No, I'm speaking of my experience with native LTE in Model S, although I have used tethering to my LTE phone in the past to gain a connection in the car when one wasn't available via 3G.

Wonder why this bugs me... My 70D was made between May 12th and May 15th and it does not appear to have an LTE cell radio. Yesterday Nautilus turned one month since delivery so it is still "new" to me, but with this change it feels old.