Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

It looks like I have LTE enabled

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a Tegra 3 based Android tablet, and it's pretty darn zippy for similar tasks.

So either the software is under optimized, or there's something significantly different in the hardware implmentation.... graphics silicon would be a likely guess (are GFX integrated in Tegras? I dunno...)

I have managed to accomplish a similar test in the same location (with 3G on a different Tesla)

Capture.JPG

You may recall that the below graphic was my original test with LTE (both tests done in my garage).

attachment.php?attachmentid=83247&d=1433515767.gif

Also, I did a test in a location outside my garage (with the LTE car) and it was more in the range of 10 down and 40 up. I suspect the 3G won't come close to that. The difference in speed makes total sense based on the conditions.

Not entirely sure that the test site used in the above is the most accurate but the results do seem to meet my intuition.

Note: Navigation, map tiles, and so on are slower with the 3G than the LTE. My guess, with a high degree of confidence, is that you will notice a difference in performance between the two if you are in the same location. Agreed with several on this thread that it is not only about the bandwidth but it certainly helps to remove choke points. Were I king of all Tesla I would take a look at the way processes are prioritized, memory is allocated, and so on, to keep moving up the performance ladder (now that network is out of the way).

It would be great to have an core I7 under the hood. Don't get me wrong. But the whole equation has to balance and sometimes the faster hardware does not bring what you really want.

While it may be helpful in determining exactly when the changeover occurred -- final week of May? -- may I suggest that, "picked up mine today and it has LTE," don't add much to the discussion. While we are happy for you, real world impressions are more appreciated. Even the speed tests are growing old. Do those with LTE still see navigation maps being updated tile by tile? Does their internet radio ever pause between songs or stall? How is browsing on the web?

Like somebody stated earlier, most of us with LTE are first time purchaser of MS, so we have no historical reference to compare with.

With that said, I had a chance to play around with an older MS 60 and suffice to say I didn't notice any dramatic improvement of map loading speed.

Do those with LTE still see navigation maps being updated tile by tile? Does their internet radio ever pause between songs or stall? How is browsing on the web?

Having spent a good bit of time with both I can tell you that I am having a better experience with LTE. That said, this is entirely unscientific and we are talking about wireless which is notoriously variable. Couple case examples are...

o Tune-in radio unable to connect for lengthy periods
o Zooming out/in with map causes a very lengthy retiling (5 to 10 seconds PLT)
o Web pages seem slower (images taking longer to load along with full web page)

There are no Internet radio skips in the LTE car but I tend to use FLAC files so can't really be authoritative there.

LTE is not so much better that I would be up in arms about not having it. There are so many things to love about the car (including the ones with 3G).

I am very pleased with LTE... the tile loading is much faster and Slacker has less drop-outs. What I favor the most, however, is the coverage. There were some pretty big EDGE/3G dead spots near me, and I now see nearly flawless LTE coverage in those areas. In fact, in my recent vacation trip to Florida, there was only one spot along the route in Indiana that had no connectivity. It's a big big win for me.

You do still see tiles load but it's much faster... it still centers on the car and fills in around it.

LTE here as well, just picked up today. As soon as I find some sites to run tests I'll do just that however that's the last thing on my mind :smile:

Wow, you are lucky, our 3G is quite spotty at best. I lose signal every time I get into my car and won't work for at least 10 minutes. By then I am almost at my destination. I took delivery of my car very late March and I just hope they will retrofit my car with 4g lte.
i have been complaining, they tell me it's something to do with the Canadian cellular reception. I think it's bull.

Anthony7 -109°F in Vegas!

- - - Updated - - -

05-09-15: Ordered 70D
05-16-15: Confirmed
05-17-15: VIN 90044
06-09-15: Production Start
06-12-15: Production End
06-18-15: Delivered w/ LTE at Fremont, CA

I did not have had a chance to play with speed tests or map tiles.
Nor have I experienced any issues with Slacker or TuneIn for the few hours listening.

I hope this helps determine 3G/LTE cutover.

I am very pleased with LTE... the tile loading is much faster and Slacker has less drop-outs. What I favor the most, however, is the coverage. There were some pretty big EDGE/3G dead spots near me, and I now see nearly flawless LTE coverage in those areas. In fact, in my recent vacation trip to Florida, there was only one spot along the route in Indiana that had no connectivity. It's a big big win for me.

You do still see tiles load but it's much faster... it still centers on the car and fills in around it.

Unless you recently got a new Model S, FlasherZ, I'm guessing you're talking about giving the car access to an LTE hotspot. Assuming that is the case, you should probably specify that, as in this thread I believe the assumptions are that people are talking about the new LTE coming natively with the car. I'm guessing there could definitely be differences, especially if Tesla is still somehow limiting the LTE it's providing, but of course not in any way limiting LTE being provided trough other sources, as a hotspot.

Make sense?

Anyone that has used the voice commands on a 3g Model S, do you notice the response of 4g processing voice any quicker? My car even in full service(3g) sometimes takes a very long time to process, when on a hotspot (4g) however it seems to almost always process instantly.