Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

It was startling

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I love the story Jim. As you say, these performance models brings out the kid in you. So you see, age is just a number. If you are happy with the model 3 then the performance is the car for you. For me it is just a little small so we've been looking at the plaid and crunching the numbers for the next few years to make a purchase.

Yesterday. CarBuyUSA inspected my 2019 SR .

I paid originally $35000 for the car. After getting back $2500 from Calif and 4100 for So Ca Edison making the total price I Paid $31500. Today I took the car to CarMax and have $40
Today, Car Buyer USA is coming to my home to appraise my m3 RS

Tomorrow, I have an appointment with CarMax for an appraisal

I'll let you know the outcome.

CarBuyUS offered me $43,500. I took it.

Now my big decision:

Do I get the Performance (which is my first choice) or be logical and get the LR then spend $2000 for the boost? (I can get the Performance this month, the LR in February

I have stopped worrying about the $20" rims and tires on the Performance. I drive on good roads, I don't drive far or fast. So I don't think I'll have problems with crushing the rims in potholes.

My worry is how hard the Performance rides on roads that aren't perfect. Is the hard ride really uncomfortable?

I paid originally $35000 for the car. After getting back $2500 from Calif and 4100 for So Ca Edison making the total price I Paid $31500. Today I took the car to CarMax and have $40

Now my big decision:

Do I get the Performance (which is my first choice) or be logical and get the LR then spend $2000 for the boost? (I can get the Performance this month, the LR in February

I have stopped worrying about the $20" rims and tires on the Performance. I drive on good roads, I don't drive far or fast. So I don't think I'll have problems with crushing the rims in potholes.

My worry is how hard the Performance rides on roads that aren't perfect. Is the hard ride really uncomfortable?

The primary difference in the ride between Performance and LR/SR are the 20” wheels and tires.

The way I see it —- in the worst case, if you don’t like it, you can have those swapped out to something else.

I think you should shoot for the Performance and enjoy the daylights out of it!

Reactions: tm1v2
The primary difference in the ride between Performance and LR/SR are the 20” wheels and tires.

The way I see it —- in the worst case, if you don’t like it, you can have those swapped out to something else.

I am afraid I won't be swapping them out. If I decide the Performance is what I want, I'll live with that decision

That's kind of what I have been thinking. Feel like a young man again and not be logical with the LR

Reactions: dmurphy and pkitch
Today was our wedding anniversary. So, we went out for breakfast and then off to Macy's for an hour. Then it was my turn to choose what to do.

There is a fairly new Tesla store in the town of Temecula, CA and we were about 5 miles away. I told the model 3 SR to navigate to the store using FSD which it did perfectly.

Entering the store, there was one model Y on the floor to show my wife. Nice car.

I was asked if I have ever driven a model 3 Performance which I said, "no". I was asked if I wanted to? Yes, was my reply.

My wife and I enter the car and took off down the street. Entering the onramp to the freeway, I slowed down and then hit it. Damn, I thought my SR was quick at 5.4 seconds to 60 mph. This car was 3.1 to 60 and boy, the car made my 3 SR seem like a turtle.

The car seemed heaver, the sound system better, scary faster.

Makes me rethink keeping my model 3 SR for the remainder of my life (I'm 80). My wife has told me many times that I should get the Plaid. She says we only have a few more years left, let's enjoy them.

After driving the 3 Performance to discover how scary fast it is, I would die of a heart attack punching the Plaid. So, I am considering a model 3 Performance. Hey, I've only got a few years left so I might enjoy them to quote my wife.

Will I do it or not? I will take a few days to think about it. It's either that or installing a yoke on my 3 SR.
Go for it!
You want fast, you want great handling, you want technology. Nothing worse than watching a Lambo or Ferrari car door open and there’s an eighty year old bloke in the drivers seat. Followed by the pantomime of getting out.....But you can everything that you want in a Tesla and look good in it👍😀

I am afraid I won't be swapping them out. If I decide the Performance is what I want, I'll live with that decision

That's kind of what I have been thinking. Feel like a young man again and not be logical with the LR
If you think you might lust for the Performance, then you absolutely will. Do it and don’t look back.

Great time for Tesla second chances.

Many buyers "settled" for a lesser model than they really wanted for financial reasons.
Now with sky high resale values, many can trade in their current car for the Tesla they really wanted with all the latest upgrades.
If the tax credits go through, this will make upgrading a financial no brainer for many.

This does not happen very often in most people's lifetimes. Time to rethink your previous choices:)

I think that's the right call! The question is this -- if the extra $$ for the Performance over the LR is the difference between eating, or paying the mortgage or what-have-you, then maybe skip it. Almost anything else, throw the logic to the wind and do something for yourself! You deserve it. Call it a "I made it through Covid" gift to yourself if you must ... but we all deserve an occasional treat!

Either way you'll love it. But that grin you're going to make is worth its weight in gold.

Now my big decision:

I dont find the ride uncomfortable on my model 3 performance, and as I mentioned earlier I live in the same general area as you (I live in temecula, on the border between temecula and murrieta). With that being said, "hard ride" is very subjective, and my previous cars for the past decade plus have been BMWs with sport suspensions.

FWIW I have dented a couple of rims on my model 3P over the past 3 years, but those happened in North county san diego, where I commute to work every day (or used to, before we all switched to working from home).

Last edited:
Stopped by the Temecula, CA Tesla store today and drove the Performance. Obvious not a soft, luxury car ride like the model S or a Lincoln but that's not what I'm looking for.

I love the feel and the performance. The decision is made. I will be ordering a Performance tomorrow. To hell with being overly safe and boring by ordering the LR.

I should have it this month (December).

I had to pass Tesla's "grading my driving system" to become a beta tester. If I keep driving the same cautious way, I should not have flat tire/rim problems. Turn up the 15 speakers in the car and road noise should almost disappear.

Thanks everyone for your input

This is the best thread I’ve ever read on this or any other forum. It’s truly delightful reading your story and reaction and living it through your posts. Congrats and enjoy, @JimShaw!

Threads like this one, and the recent one where someone was taking a cross country trip towing a small trailer in their model 3, and letting us ride along with pictures and such, are one of the main reasons I still am on TMC as much as I am, and agreed to help out when they asked me. I love threads like this!

• Love
Reactions: El joe and dmurphy
5wt033.jpg

Reactions: Darmie
“… and my previous cars for the past decade plus have been BMWs with sport suspensions.”
——-

That’s been my experience. Hey, everyone’s different. But for me, the ride isn’t any “harder” or “worse” than anything else I’ve been used to driving over decades. I’ve driven cars with half the power of this car with harsher rides, so it’s a no-brainer, personally.

This morning, I couldn't sleep. Got up, logged on to Tesla.com about 6am and ordered a white w/black interior 2022 Model 3 Performance. Me and white do not mix well together. So, black interior it is.

I touched base with Tesla to make sure I was ordering a 2022 vs a left over 2021

Spent a lot of the day getting what CarBuyerUSA.com needed to finalize the sale of my SR: Picture of the title, driver's license, my bank, routing number, account number to transfer $$$ to my bank, signing agreement, etc.

I will miss being a beta tester but not worth $10,000.00 to me.

This really was an easy sale of my car. I would sell to them again when I win the lottery and order a Plaid.

Now, I have to drive a small Smart Car until the new 3 arrives which I have been told is about 2 weeks but we'll see. I touched base with Tesla to make sure it was going to be a 2022 vs a left over 2021.

The next couple weeks will feel like three months. If I were to have ordered an SR+: 7 months wait, LR about 3 months.

I love this story. But also omg when you said "hit it" my heart dropped because i thought you hit something. LOL.
Agree with your wife. If you can afford it, enjoy it while you can! I've heard mixed things about the yoke as an after market items interfering with airbags since the airbags are different in yoke steering wheel teslas so if you go with that, do your due diligence.

You've have to update us on the decision once you make it!