Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

It's that time again - embarrassing loud AC compressor

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Guys... the jet-engine sound, as loud as it is, is NOTHING compared to the broken hamster wheel sound that you can hear from a block away -- in addition to the jet-engine sound.

After my third set of fans, I have just the jet-engine sound now with a hint of hamster wheel... So I'm pretty damn happy until they source that newer, quieter fan that the service centers have been promising for over a year now.

My MS was delivered 5/28/14 and while the compressor, I feel, has a normal sound, the hamster wheel noise as the fan winds down is annoying and embarrassing. I have also noticed a vibration at around 80 mph, but thought maybe a wheel was out of balance, now I wonder. Nearest SC is 450 miles away, so will contact Tesla on Monday to determine how this will be handled...Thanks for all the videos and discussion.

You can add me to the list. Just went out this evening and had that loud noise coming from my a/c. Took a video of it too just to compare with others and its the same issue. I also noticed the other day from the inside of my car with the a/c on full blast that it sounded like the fans were blowing way harder than I've ever heard before coming from the front of the car and almost seemed like there was a low frequency drone and/or vibration.

I recently attended a Phoenix Tesla gathering. AC noise was high on the list of conversation points. I do not have the sound blanket. I parked my car next to another which did have the new blanket and bracket installed. We both fired up our ACs to the highest level, first one car and then the other. I honestly could not tell which was louder. Perhaps my hearing is fading, but they both sounded the same to me.

I recently attended a Phoenix Tesla gathering. AC noise was high on the list of conversation points. I do not have the sound blanket. I parked my car next to another which did have the new blanket and bracket installed. We both fired up our ACs to the highest level, first one car and then the other. I honestly could not tell which was louder. Perhaps my hearing is fading, but they both sounded the same to me.

They didn't have the sound deadening that I have then. Mine went from 70mph road noise levels, to quiter than the fan. After the update.

I'm not impressed by the fix on my car. It is slightly muted, but it still sounds like a rotor is off-balance. The thing that really bought it home for me was being at TMC Connect where all the Model S's were gliding around silently. The benefits of temperate climate!

Pete, Dallas, currently 101f, 133f inside the car.

Screenshot_2014-07-30-15-50-07.png

Had Tesla perform this update while my car was in for repairs, just to be on the safe side. Can't really tell if it made a difference because I haven't had the car since it was barely above freezing (sure wasn't using the A/C then!).

It seems good though. On full blast, it's still a good deal quieter than my mom's Lexus, and way WAY quieter than our trucks.

Update: The TSB work was done on mine. It is still audible in the car, and I can still feel it through the steering wheel, but it is much reduced and not as "harsh" sounding. From outside the car, it now just sounds like a large fan as opposed to the very rough mechanical sound of before.

Update: The TSB work was done on mine. It is still audible in the car, and I can still feel it through the steering wheel, but it is much reduced and not as "harsh" sounding. From outside the car, it now just sounds like a large fan as opposed to the very rough mechanical sound of before.

I'll echo these sentiments. Mine was just done, too. Much better.

I've opted out for now. The weather in LA is pretty much the same everyday and doesn't get too hot. Summer's also over so the noise hasn't bothered me too much. I did hear that all of the newer cars have this installed from the factory.