Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

It's time for Tesla to provide MCU2 and HW3 upgrades

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Same thing applies to HW and MCU.

Yes...people are different. Thank goodness.

And don’t go down the path of me “praising Elon” or whatever ridiculous fanboi nonsense you are implying. It’s a matter of common sense, being reasonable and doing research before purchase of anything. Never buy a “future feature” if you are that concerned you may not get it.

My common sense told me that sentry, dashcam, more games, etc. Wasn't in my car when I bought it, and wasn't promised.
-so not that big of a deal, a bummer sure.

But when they decided to send out a update to their latest customers and not their "oldest" mcu1 ap2.0 FSD customers, my common sense told me that this is wrong.

And I apologize for the fan boy statement.
I'm not a fan boy myself, and my Tesla has it good sides and bad sides, same thing for Elon Musk.
I've been at several "arrangements" with both Tesla, NASA, SpaceX and the planetary society, and I really appreciate what Elon Musk has started/involved with, both with cars and rockets among other things.
-however, his/theirs poor communication is what pisses people of...

We do not know what they are thinking, but we see what they are doing. And it's not looking good for us who buyed the mcu1 ap2.0 FSD package right now.

But this can change in the future, we don't know, and this brings us back to my statement about communicating...

Look. I get what you are saying. It is a tough pill to swallow. I have had to swallow that same pill and it is tough. But looking back, I just know that I still enjoyed driving my car ahead of when other people got theirs. And when I buy another, probably the same thing will happen again. But I still enjoy the vehicle.

If Tesla does not come through for us AP2 FSD people, then there is a concern. And that time is approaching. But it isn’t here yet. Something will happen one way or the other. It just seems premature to get so upset over it.

I would like to upgrade my 90D MCU to MCU2, my HW 2.0 to 3.0. My cameras to color. My 90 battery to 100. My air suspension to raven, etc. But the only way right now is to buy a new car. So I will wait and just enjoy what I got.

Seems like we agree with this points.
Actually I'm not upset over it, but at this time I won't throw more money after Tesla before I see the outcome of this.

I have 2 more Tesla vehicles on pre-order, one for my company and one for my wife, but at this point I am waiting to see how this goes.
However, does it come a new mcu and HW in my car, the 2 others will get ordered.

What seems bad in this situation is that SC's don't know anything more than us.

Seems like we agree with this points.
Actually I'm not upset over it, but at this time I won't throw more money after Tesla before I see the outcome of this.

I have 2 more Tesla vehicles on pre-order, one for my company and one for my wife, but at this point I am waiting to see how this goes.
However, does it come a new mcu and HW in my car, the 2 others will get ordered.

What seems bad in this situation is that SC's don't know anything more than us.

No they don’t know anything more than us. Communication is definitely lacking. No question there.

The ability to provide new features via OTA update is a major difference between Tesla vehicles and the vehicles from other manufacturers - something Tesla has marketed since the first S was sold in 2012.

Tesla uses software to implement most features and control their vehicles - to a much greater degree than vehicles currently sold by other manufacturers.

Other companies with software-based products have learned to deal with software compatibility between multiple generations and different configurations of hardware. It costs a little more initially to build in source code compatibility when processors/systems are released. But in the long run, software costs are lowered by allowing the same source code to run on multiple generations of systems.

It appears Tesla has source code compatibility between models - S, X and 3 now appear to be running the same software, with differences due to the dashboard/console display design and vehicle hardware features. But Tesla doesn't appear to have source code compatibility between MCU1 and MCU2 or HW2 and HW3 - and that is quickly limiting the features MCU1/HW2 owners have.

When S & X were in production, it was understandable Tesla had limited resources and had to limit the focus of their software developers, and lower the priority on less important software.

But it's hard to make that argument today - Tesla's valuation is 2X Ford. Tesla has one of the top selling vehicles in most markets.

If Tesla can't afford the software resources to fully support MCU1 owners, then they should offer an MCU2 upgrade - and when MCU3 comes out - either design in better compatibility with MCU2 or introduce an MCU3 upgrade when MCU3 is released, giving current owners a path to get the latest software features.

Dear Tesla/Elon
Just tell me what your going to do for my FSD AP2.5 MCU1 MX and MS. I know you would rather sell me a new car but I wont make that decision without knowing exactly what is going to happen to the cars that have paid FSD. If there is absolutely no plan to provide an MCU2 upgrade, then make a written statement so I can plan my car replacement. Right now I am frozen; I don't want to miss out on an amicable resolution to FSD /MCU2 if somehow that is in the cards. Give the faithful some guidance...
Ax