Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

It's time for Tesla to provide MCU2 and HW3 upgrades

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As leased cars are expiring, I wonder if it’s easier for them to give people *huge* discount to upgrade to the latest version.
I'd take that. 10k plus transfer of FSD would be sufficient where I had no hard feelings. I'd still obviously pay some money towards the new car.
I have a 75D. If I can get a raven LR while keeping my unlimited charging + LTE with some extra money. I don’t mind (Pls don’t wake me up)

Totally disagree, for me (and the laws in this country) there's only 2 options.

1: fix it, maximum allowable tries to fix before customer can request to redeliver or cancel the purchase = 3.

2: redeliver a new car(item) that has the promised features, or take the item(car) back and refund.

As far as I know and are concerned, the roads between getting promised stuff and leaving you in the dust started to separate in December 2019.
I bought in juli 2017 a brand spanking new model s (AP2.0 MCU1) with every bell and whistle, including FSD, and where promised that every new feature they would launch, I would get, at least within the 8 years of warranty.
And if I wanted proof, I could just look at older Teslas, which where true at that point.
My car where future proof they told me, and if they found out that they were wrong about something and new software or hardware would be required, I would get the upgrades for free.

I intend on holding them on this, so no, nothing about mowing over FSD, credit or charging to next car is okay.

Why should i ever want to give them more of my cold earned cash if they don't deliver what I bought in the first place?

-do not mistake this for not supporting Tesla, or Elon Musk, I surely do, but I do not tolerate scams or frauds, I've worked to hard for my money.

There are starting to be a real competition on electric cars, and it will be more and more models to choose from every year, I think Tesla/Musk must keep this fact in the back of their heads when people are talking about their experience with Tesla and/or will buy a new car.

If I remember correctly, there's about 100 000/150 000 model s with my configuration, AP2.0/MCU1 on the market, and alot of them is feeling left out of the promises that came with buying a Tesla in general or FSD. That's a potential 150 000 customers lost. Poor situation when market is getting new models all the time...

There’s no indication that hw3 is the bottle neck. But let’s say it is, the situation can only get worse moving forward.

Totally agree with you.

Another thing that gets me questioning is that the mcu1->mcu2 upgrade is now tested working, same cables/connection, just a matter of transferring files from old mcu (proven by @verygreen), I do not know what the hold up at Tesla is.
This is one of the reasons why I am not going to tolerate any of the above "solutions" quoted in this post.

This is what we know to date (based on Twitter, Facebook and TMC postings).

MCU1 with AP2 going to FSD Computer - Not yet started. Tesla has said they are still working on making this work
MCU1 with AP2.5 going to FSD Computer - Not yet started. Tesla has said they are still working on making this work
MCU2 with AP2.5 going to FSD Computer - Started. Owners have been making appointment using the app, and have been getting them installed.

xxxx Not yet started. Tesla has said they are still working on making this work

You are correct in your post.
However, I would like to know what the $## they are "working on" or have issues with, because, as it seems, mcu1 ap2.5 should be a direct replacement for both.

So I would like to edit your post to this:

MCU1 with AP1, no upgrades.
*not sure about mcu upgradeability.

MCU1 with AP2 going to FSD Computer - Not yet started. Tesla has said they are still working on making this work
*MCU1->MCU2= direct replacement, same connectors
*AP2.0->HW3= still in the dark

MCU1 with AP2.5 going to FSD Computer - Not yet started. Tesla has said they are still working on making this work
*MCU1->MCU2= direct replacement, same connectors
*AP2.5->HW3= direct replacement, same connectors

MCU2 with AP2.5 going to FSD Computer - Started. Owners have been making appointment using the app, and have been getting them installed.
*AP2.5 ->HW3= direct replacement, same connectors

Musk willingly shares *seamingly* everything else they are working on on Twitter, would be nice to have a update/understanding what the issue is.
Instead we are in the dark, and it seems intentional to keep us there...

Totally disagree, for me (and the laws in this country) there's only 2 options.

1: fix it, maximum allowable tries to fix before customer can request to redeliver or cancel the purchase = 3.

2: redeliver a new car(item) that has the promised features, or take the item(car) back and refund.
That’s a nice thought and I’m sure it serves to keep you nice and riled up thinking you’re guaranteed so much - but the only thing Tesla owes you under US law, if they can’t deliver the FSD features they sold you, is a refund of the price paid for FSD. I can’t imagine the situation to be fundamentally different in Norway, but maybe so. Best of luck to you.

That’s a nice thought and I’m sure it serves to keep you nice and riled up thinking you’re guaranteed so much - but the only thing Tesla owes you under US law, if they can’t deliver the FSD features they sold you, is a refund of the price paid for FSD. I can’t imagine the situation to be fundamentally different in Norway, but maybe so. Best of luck to you.

That's 100% bullshit.

That’s a nice thought and I’m sure it serves to keep you nice and riled up thinking you’re guaranteed so much

If this is what you got from it, you totally missed the point, you simply did not understand.

If you want to try again you can reread, because whatever that makes me warm and fuzzy isn't the law, and that was what I pointed to.
Norway has actually a very good consumer protection law.

But hey, I live in cold Norway and every time I've been in Florida, I've been warm and fuzzy and enjoying both weather and space exploration / rocket launches.
:)

Reactions: Silicon Desert
...but the only thing Tesla owes you under US law, if they can’t deliver the FSD features they sold you, is a refund of the price paid for FSD.
The peril Tesla faces is a class action arguing a subset of people who paid for FSD at the time of purchase viewed Tesla's written statements about FSD as necessary, even if not sufficient, for buying the car.

...in other words, if such a purchaser had known then what we know now (i.e. Tesla's running late on bringing FSD to the market, concerns about hardware redundancy, etc.), they would have never opted to buy the car.

FWIW I am pleased with my AP2.0, MCU1 S75D but I am also displeased with Tesla's lack of communication.

I get developing this takes time and there's a huge component of "you don't know what you don't know" but if Tesla at the very least put out quarterly updates about FSD and other items owners care about - battery limiting, MCU1 > MCU_new upgrades, etc come to mind - I think much of the justifiable angst felt by customers could be ameliorated.

tl;dr - I'm not upset complex things take time to develop, I'm upset there's no consistent communication.

It still seems premature to get upset over not having HW 3. FSD hasn’t been wide released yet.

As far as not seeing the traffic cones or updated visuals, that was never promised with our AP 2 car.

as far as lack of communication. Yes...that’s true. But it will happen when it happens.

When purchases of MCU1/AP2 vehicles were made, Tesla claimed on the website that those vehicle had all of the hardware required to support FSD, only needing validated software and regulatory approval.

We now know that statement was incorrect, and that's OK, because it's premature to claim any hardware configuration will support future functionality - until it has been proven to work, at least in a prototype.

But with Musk's recent comments about the holiday update containing a preview of FSD, he's opened a can of worms - because those of us who purchased FSD several years ago - aren't getting the software release (our 2017 S hasn't received the update while our 2018 X with MCU2 has had 3 updates in the past two weeks), and when we do, we won't get the FSD preview capability.

It's likely that most of the functionality that isn't being provided to the MCU1 or AP2/2.5 vehicles could have been implemented on that hardware. While the MCU1 hardware isn't as fast as MCU2, since AP2 doesn't use the MCU1 processor, there should be enough processor capacity to run many of the features being excluded. The lack of functionality is more likely caused because Tesla has decided not to expend resources to re-implement these features on the MCU1 processor (probably because they didn't provide source code compatibility between MCU1/MCU2).

Same issue with the FSD preview and latest AP features not being provided to AP2/2.5 vehicles - the advantage of the HW3 processor is the much greater performance. However, for the features being released now (displaying street signs, traffic cones, ...) - it seems highly unlikely those features require the much faster HW3 processor - and could run on the original AP processors. Again, most likely a resource decision by Tesla than a hardware constraint preventing those features from being distributed on MCU2.

While it's understandable Tesla (like every other company) prefers to focus their resources on the latest hardware, Tesla (unlike the other companies) has long promised "free software updates for life" and has pre-sold FSD (with the claim that those vehicles had the hardware to support it).

Tesla has had extremely strong customer loyalty. Owners of the early vehicles (we've had a Tesla since Jan 2013) saw major software updates that continued to add new features to their cars, for years after delivery, fulfilling their promise to continue to upgrade capabilities through OTA updates.

But what they are doing with MCU1 and AP2/2.5 customers now could start risking the loyalty of their S/X customers. If they are going to limit new features they carry back to MCU1 and AP2/2.5 to save software resources (supporting an increasingly smaller percentage of their vehicles), then they should provide a hardware upgrade path for those customers, providing a path to get back to the mainstream and once again start getting access to all but hardware-related new software features.

We bought two AP2/MCU1 cars, selling an AP1 car to upgrade with the promise of FSD. Had we known it was really going to be over 3 years before FSD was out, we would've leased instead. If Tesla were to buy back our cars and deduct a reasonable lease payment for our 3 years of usage, we'd gladly turn in our remaining AP2 car and buy a brand-new AP3 car which already included FSD and FUSC.
We are in the same position with a 2017 MX P100D and a MS 75D. In addition to paying 30% more for our vehicles than the current going rate AND $8000 for the 2 FSD we have been strong proponents of the Tesla brand. Tesla has collected millions and millions (keeping them alive) of our money with the promise of FSD. In addition our group has probably given them 1000’s of referrals many of whom our now enjoying the benefits of our dreams. You would think Tesla would have more respect for their customer base and escrow the money’s needed to “finish the job” and reward us for saving the company from bankruptcy over the past 2-3 years. We are the reason for their current success!!!

We are in the same position with a 2017 MX P100D and a MS 75D. In addition to paying 30% more for our vehicles than the current going rate AND $8000 for the 2 FSD we have been strong proponents of the Tesla brand. Tesla has collected millions and millions (keeping them alive) of our money with the promise of FSD. In addition our group has probably given them 1000’s of referrals many of whom our now enjoying the benefits of our dreams. You would think Tesla would have more respect for their customer base and escrow the money’s needed to “finish the job” and reward us for saving the company from bankruptcy over the past 2-3 years. We are the reason for their current success!!!

Our MX100D and MS100D are both Dec 2017 builds, AP2.5 MCU1 with paid FSD. Like others, we paid a premium compared to the Ravens we could buy today with HW3.0. Yes, we are frustrated... and mad about the lack of communication from Tesla. We are basically frozen, and don't plan on replacing the cars for a few more years. It's a matter of principle - Tesla owes us FSD in some form and don't care if thats just a hardware upgrade to HW3 and MCU2. To add to the frustration, we bought M3 LR AWD in May 2019. It has HW3.0 and we are able to view all the FSD visualizations. Maybe we will add FSD to the M3 at some point.... but Tesla needs to deliver FSD for our MX and MS before that happens.

I totally F** agree. I have a MCU1 and AP2 car. Love it but getting a little bit pissed off of the lack of upgrades. For god sake we still don't even have sentry mode. Keep in mind I did cough up the 5k for self driving (which I'm starting to believe I am never going to get that too)

When you purchased your car, were you told that you would get full sentry mode?

Why do you think older cars should get ALL the same capabilities as newer cars?

Reactions: Kmartyn