Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

It's too late, my MCU1 Died....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would agree with if Tesla was to open up the debug tools and parts. If you have to pay $2,500 to replace an MCU with a $10 failed chip, it's hard to call it "very serviceable". By that logic next step is to say you can always "service" you car by buying yourself a part called a whole new car. ;)

For MCU, this should have been a $149 module like the one below (this particular one below is a similar module, but with newer Tegra, more emmc and more RAM, selling at $149 for quantity 1). That and Tesla would have to make the toolkit available so the people who want to service their cars can reprogram them, including modules like this.
View attachment 471387

So, can one buy that module, put the information of the original emmc on it and it's done?

I think you misunderstood my comment. What I am saying is that in order to be able to charge in the event that your MCU fails, you should disable scheduled charging. INSTEAD of scheduled charging, use the Stats app to regain this functionality. The schedule is then controlled by the app and not by the MCU. I am not talking about the app controlling this when the MCU fails. I am talking about using the app to schedule charging while the MCU is still OK. I hope I am being clear enough.
Any way to locate all the locations with scheduled charging and clear them? Or do you have to be at each one?

@Az_Rael, @am_dmd,

Thanks. That the info I was looking for. They must be editing the zero odometer of the new MCU with the value from the old MCU?

Wouldn't it be great if all our user defined MCU settings are backed up to the Tesla servers on ongoing basis for an easy restore? Seems a basic concept not implemented.

So, can one buy that module, put the information of the original emmc on it and it's done?
No, it's a different module with a newer Tegra which Tesla hasn't written software for. There even exists a standard module with the same Tegra and almost identical to the Tesla one, but apparently Tesla decided to customize their version so it's not compatible. So, by not using a standard module, Tesla becomes the only one who can manufacture and sell that module.

It's not really age dependent. There are some other factors we don't know. It is a good idea to track however I don't think the data will be too helpful. We have a 2012 Signature with original emmc/screen 150k miles. 2013 Dec P85 with 145k miles, original emmc/screen. 2013 Feb 85 replaced mcu (not sure why), 2012 Sig with replaced mcu (yellowed screen.) Im working on some 2014 and 2015 cars with failed emmc.
Hmmm... I do recall that way back in 2013/14 when the TMC detective network discerned that there was a supercharging limit on early ("A") batteries, we crowdsourced a table with a bunch of battery information, and that helped us "prove" what had happened and to whom.

We should be able to do the same with the EMMC issue. The challenge would be to figure out what key factors to collect. I guess I had presupposed that age and mileage would be factors. If they are not, then what is? The nice thing about crowdsourcing a database on this forum is that it is relatively easy to go back to each contributor to solicit further information if we get more clues.

We should be able to do the same with the EMMC issue. The challenge would be to figure out what key factors to collect. I guess I had presupposed that age and mileage would be factors. If they are not, then what is? The nice thing about crowdsourcing a database on this forum is that it is relatively easy to go back to each contributor to solicit further information if we get more clues.

Energy saving setting
3rd party API use
Streaming music / podcast use

In my case the car is 4 years and 4 months
67k at the time of the eMMC failure
Have always had continuous API access 24/7 since the car was activated. (my bad!)
Energy saving off and always connected is checked.
I only stream music via slacker 100% of the time.

Mine might be the worst case scenario I would anticipate, since my settings are all the most damaging to the eMMC.

I didnt think it would happen to me but i was completely wrong. Good thing my car has ext warranty.
2015 p85d, 52k miles, 2nd owner via private sale
It was just perfect over the weekend. 4 days later “wait for powering up systems”. Frozen center screen. Tried reboot. Tried a few times. Nada. Some slight ticking / white noise. Good it failed while under ext warranty. Bad its just more damn time i need to waste.

Also, some other stuff i need checked like the buzzing rear motor...

Side bar, i dont think my previous 2013 p85 with 105k miles ever had MCU replaced

No, it's a different module with a newer Tegra which Tesla hasn't written software for. There even exists a standard module with the same Tegra and almost identical to the Tesla one, but apparently Tesla decided to customize their version so it's not compatible. So, by not using a standard module, Tesla becomes the only one who can manufacture and sell that module.

Damn Tesla for that :mad::rolleyes:

A logging app that continuously monitors the car. Such as teslafi.com.
Yes it was suggested by wk057 to switch on energy savings and uncheck always connected to log less to the eMMC.
Great, I’ve done this for day one. I also don’t connect to wireless, since I don’t have any. I’m still on last years software since Tesla doesn’t want to download to my car anymore. I just got another notice to connect to wireless to download. Does this help?

Great, I’ve done this for day one. I also don’t connect to wireless, since I don’t have any. I’m still on last years software since Tesla doesn’t want to download to my car anymore. I just got another notice to connect to wireless to download. Does this help?

Not to alarm you but we hear a lot of people say "before my mcu went black it was failing to download update for a while (some even said months.) Are you seeing any other of the reported symptoms?

Hmmm... I do recall that way back in 2013/14 when the TMC detective network discerned that there was a supercharging limit on early ("A") batteries, we crowdsourced a table with a bunch of battery information, and that helped us "prove" what had happened and to whom.

Age and mileage is a factor, I completely agree with that. I'm just saying there are additional factors we don't know (I believe temp also plays a factor). Would be great if we can figure it out. I'm all for that.

Age and mileage is a factor, I completely agree with that. I'm just saying there are additional factors we don't know (I believe temp also plays a factor). Would be great if we can figure it out. I'm all for that.
I believe temperature is a factor mostly when the emmc chip is powered off for prolonged periods of time. MCU1 does have a nice low-power always-on mode (may add some logging, but will keep the chip powered-on).

Not to alarm you but we hear a lot of people say "before my mcu went black it was failing to download update for a while (some even said months.) Are you seeing any other of the reported symptoms?
Yes, I’ve had garbled characters on the screen since the last big SW download, probably a year ago now. Edit: 2015 S70D, never added AP1.