Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

It's too late, my MCU1 Died....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think you misunderstood my comment. What I am saying is that in order to be able to charge in the event that your MCU fails, you should disable scheduled charging. INSTEAD of scheduled charging, use the Stats app to regain this functionality. The schedule is then controlled by the app and not by the MCU. I am not talking about the app controlling this when the MCU fails. I am talking about using the app to schedule charging while the MCU is still OK. I hope I am being clear enough.

Got it, I read your post as using the app when unable to set (blacked mcu.) Thanks for clearing up.

Another deceased MCU here.
As an FYI, supercharging works.
Only the display on the IC is misleading: it shows “0” for charge speed but I saw the battery capacity increase. My car is scheduled to start charging at night, so at least SuC is a solution. You need to give it a minute also: it’s slower to react and actually start the charge.

For those outside imperial region: the odometer shows mph values and no longer Km/h, although it states km/h.

I had 3G and bubbles starting. So the new one will add LTE and a new screen.
I asked the technician if the new screen will be one that turns yellow on the side. It will not according to him. Time will tell.

Nice gesture from the SeC : I got a loaner as courtesy.

Guess being early adopter has ups and downs. :)

what year and what mileage?

mine is 2012, but I had screen replaced and LTE added two years ago or so when I got bubbles. I will look at maintenance bill and see if they replaced entire MCU. Dunno if I’m running on 7 year old EMMC or 2 year old.

what year and what mileage?

mine is 2012, but I had screen replaced and LTE added two years ago or so when I got bubbles. I will look at maintenance bill and see if they replaced entire MCU. Dunno if I’m running on 7 year old EMMC or 2 year old.

Was LTE something you paid extra for, or did it just come along with the screen replacement? If the latter, they probably replaced the whole MCU. Your car might be old enough that the screen could not be replaced independently of the MCU.

My car 2013 S had just the screen replaced when bubbles appeared. And then later they replaced the whole MCU because navigation went nuts. When they did the MCU replacement, I got LTE for free. Unfortunately, now I have a yellow border on my screen. :(

• Informative
Reactions: Droschke
Why not replace the eMMC and the 3G modem with LTE before that? Then your car can last beyond 2024, and the MCU will also last far beyond that?
I would, but the options for doing that are limited in Australia. Tesla offers the 4G upgrade for around AUD$700 but there's nobody that would do the EMMC drive swap here. It's our only car and we live in rural Australia so it isn't that practical to send the MCU to the US to get it done, in any case our 4G bands are different here

Aw, drat! Just looked at invoice. MCU screen assembly replaced in 2018. So I’m still running on 2012 MCU ergo EMMC.

I have not been tracking this thread. Now I will. Maybe we should compile a list of the age and mileage of all cars with this issue?

I sorta hope mine goes out soon. 1 more year on extended warranty!

Aw, drat! Just looked at invoice. MCU screen assembly replaced in 2018. So I’m still running on 2012 MCU ergo EMMC.

I have not been tracking this thread. Now I will. Maybe we should compile a list of the age and mileage of all cars with this issue?

I sorta hope mine goes out soon. 1 more year on extended warranty!

It's not really age dependent. There are some other factors we don't know. It is a good idea to track however I don't think the data will be too helpful. We have a 2012 Signature with original emmc/screen 150k miles. 2013 Dec P85 with 145k miles, original emmc/screen. 2013 Feb 85 replaced mcu (not sure why), 2012 Sig with replaced mcu (yellowed screen.) Im working on some 2014 and 2015 cars with failed emmc.

Ownership without warranty is not bad. I bought my car without warranty, and the expectation I would learn how to service mine. These cars are very serviceable. I think there will be more servicing options in the near future. I can already tell you there is in my area ;).
I would agree with if Tesla was to open up the debug tools and parts. If you have to pay $2,500 to replace an MCU with a $10 failed chip, it's hard to call it "very serviceable". By that logic next step is to say you can always "service" you car by buying yourself a part called a whole new car. ;)

For MCU, this should have been a $149 module like the one below (this particular one below is a similar module, but with newer Tegra, more emmc and more RAM, selling at $149 for quantity 1). That and Tesla would have to make the toolkit available so the people who want to service their cars can reprogram them, including modules like this.
Jetson Nano Module.jpg

Need help to understand this:

When the MCU dies and it's replaced with the new one, what's lost?

- Trip A, B?
- Odometer?
- Profiles?
- User Settings?
- Anything else?
  • No controlling suspension height
  • No manual control of headlight lights
  • No blinker sounds
  • Steering mode defaults to some setting (e.g. if I have it set to sport, during reboot of MCU is changes to standard or comfort, not sure but I can feel the steering wheel become loose)
  • No HVAC (heat, cool, vent)
  • No defrosters
  • No seat heaters
  • No steering wheel heaters
  • No radio/streaming
  • No app connectivity to control the car
Maybe it would be easier to list things which still work without an MCU. You can open doors, get in, put the car in drive and drive it without any heat or cooling while you wipe the fog off the windsheld with your sleeve.

But the question was what information that was lost if replacing the mcu, not what functionality that was unavailable without one...

:)
Ah, misunderstood the question. The answer might depend on who is replacing it, whether they know how to transfer information or reprogram from scratch, and whether the old mcu was completely dead or not (so you could try copying the data out). IIRC the MCU also houses the gateway which includes VIN and odometer, so if someone just swaps in a new MCU without reprogramming, you might loose that too.

But the question was what information that was lost if replacing the mcu, not what functionality that was unavailable without one...

Correct. Thank you.

Ah, misunderstood the question. The answer might depend on who is replacing it, whether they know how to transfer information or reprogram from scratch, and whether the old mcu was completely dead or not (so you could try copying the data out). IIRC the MCU also houses the gateway which includes VIN and odometer, so if someone just swaps in a new MCU without reprogramming, you might loose that too.

What about if Tesla is replacing it? The owners who have already had their MCU replaced by Tesla should know what they lost:
- Trip A, B?
- Odometer?
- Profiles?
- User Settings?
- Anything else?

What about if Tesla is replacing it? The owners who have already had their MCU replaced by Tesla should know what they lost:
- Trip A, B?
- Odometer?
- Profiles?
- User Settings?
- Anything else?

You lose all of those settings plus favorites, Bluetooth pairings, seat positions, etc. it’s like the car was reset to factory. Edit: except odometer

Correct. Thank you.

- Trip A, B?
- Odometer?
- Profiles?
- User Settings?
- Anything else?
I had my MCU replaced when yellow screen gate was in intial stages. Except odometer I think I lost all the settings. Now I don't know if that was lazy Tesla employee or they genuinely could not transfer all settings ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Informative
Reactions: GSP and Droschke