Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I've loved Tesla for 7 years. But after years of abuse, I'm out

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would say, "Hang in there." Us Roadster owners were basically left out in the cold on service once the MXs came out or thereabouts. Like you've said/heard, no return emails or phone calls, and unless you own another Tesla the app doesn't support the Roadster so no help there. Lately, however, that is showing signs of improvement. There is a dedicated email address for Roadsters and the stories of response have come back spotty but at least some are getting (better) service than they did before. The feeling is this forum was a huge push in this direction for Tesla. Whether that is true or not no one actually knows, but things are getting better to some degree. If Tesla is willing to improve the service they provide to AT MOST 2,400 owners, maybe there is hope for all the MS, MX, MY, and 3 owners out there. At least we can all hope...

Back when Tesla had good service, they had a position of "director of service" or something, and he participated on this forum. When he was headhunted by another company Elon took over his service duties, and service became what it is. Bad service is an upper management problem.
You mean a corporate job above all Service, can't imagine this still doesn't exist.

At the Service Center Level, there is always a service manager and I make it a point to get to know them personally. Always helps to have a escalation path. Bought my first Tesla in 2015, Model S, Model X in 2018 and Model Y last week.

Reactions: JimmyAZ
You mean a corporate job above all Service, can't imagine this still doesn't exist.

At the Service Center Level, there is always a service manager and I make it a point to get to know them personally. Always helps to have a escalation path. Bought my first Tesla in 2015, Model S, Model X in 2018 and Model Y last week.
That is the key to getting good service, have a relationship with someone in charge.

Reactions: KirkNason
That is the key to getting good service, have a relationship with someone in charge.
From my experience, you can't do that with Tesla. Most people don't have any authority to actually help and those that do likely won't be there the next time you need them. The turnover rate is super high from what I've experienced. It's difficult to talk to the same person for the same issue let alone across several visits/issues. This makes this strategy almost worthless when it comes to Tesla seemingly by design.

Reactions: FlatSix911
From my experience, you can't do that with Tesla. Most people don't have any authority to actually help and those that do likely won't be there the next time you need them. The turnover rate is super high from what I've experienced. It's difficult to talk to the same person for the same issue let alone across several visits/issues. This makes this strategy almost worthless when it comes to Tesla seemingly by design.
Will in my case I have dealt with the same Service Manager since 2013.

Will in my case I have dealt with the same Service Manager since 2013.
I think a lot of people on this forum make the mistake of assuming that their specific Tesla Service experience is replicated across all Tesla Service Centers. Just because your experience with your local Service Center has been positive doesn't mean this is the same everywhere. In fact, it seems as though the positive ones are rare compared to the horror stories. I can't tell you what I would give to have a similar positive experience to those I read about often in Southern California. Here in the Rocky Mountain Region ALL of our Service Centers are nightmare factories.

Ordering/delivery process for a 2019 MX was very stressful mostly due to poor communication from Tesla.
Resolving a smart summon related accident during transition from telephone customer service to app only service became impossible and still hasn’t been resolved.
Recent service visit at Bakersfield service center was annoying trying to communicate complex issues through text messages or the app. Was told they don’t offer loaners even though I’m coming from 120 miles away. When I got there another customer was dropping off a loaner and picking up his MS. WTF Tesla.
I was all about ordering a Cybertruck but now I’m on the fence whether I’ll get another Tesla in the future. Another electric vehicle for sure, but probably not a Tesla.

You don't have an issue with Tesla until you need something that they don't want to provide or should proc=vide but don't care about. The OP got this right. Tesla does lie to customers and in a bad way. They hide behind arbitration agreements and expect people will go away. I out their management now below ANY automaker selling in the US. I would have ranked them #1 a few years ago. My advice before buying, opt out of the arbitration clause in writing you will have far more leverage if you have an issue. Sad one has to do this when buying a car and expecting what is promised.

Ordering/delivery process for a 2019 MX was very stressful mostly due to poor communication from Tesla.
Resolving a smart summon related accident during transition from telephone customer service to app only service became impossible and still hasn’t been resolved.
Recent service visit at Bakersfield service center was annoying trying to communicate complex issues through text messages or the app. Was told they don’t offer loaners even though I’m coming from 120 miles away. When I got there another customer was dropping off a loaner and picking up his MS. WTF Tesla.
I was all about ordering a Cybertruck but now I’m on the fence whether I’ll get another Tesla in the future. Another electric vehicle for sure, but probably not a Tesla.

I guess it depends on how often one thinks they will be dealing with Tesla service. For me, I’d rather be happy the vast majority of the time while using the vehicle rather than getting worried about a possible bad service experience. But of course YMMV.

When communicating via text, they did end up calling me when I did have some questions. Perhaps when they are texting, you could ask them to call you.

As far as loaners go, one of the posters had a good idea. Setup an enterprise rent a car account ahead of time and later they can meet you at the service station with the loaner. Granted you do need to pay but that is an option.

Good thing you didn't post this on the Model 3 forum. Your character would have been viciously attacked and you would be victim shamed and declared a short seller.

They are still drinking the Kool-Aid over there, and many refuse to acknowledge the shortcomings of Tesla. Lots of good things, but service quality, build quality, and software quality are not on the list.

Thanks but this isn’t what I meant.

I’m talking about BEFORE the 4 year MCU warranty. I don’t recall that separate item being there for the MCU. It seems like originally the MCU was treated just like any other part, then they split it out as a 4 year warranty and then they changed it to a 2 year warranty. I was just curious when the 4 year MCU warranty was first added.

Last edited:
Reactions: MP3Mike
Thanks but this isn’t what I meant.

I’m talking about BEFORE the 4 year MCU warranty. I don’t recall that separate item being there for the MCU. It seems like originally the MCU was treated just like any other part, then they split it out as a 4 year warranty and then they changed it to a 2 year warranty.
Depending how far back you want to go. Remember Tesla is brand new, I bet when 2012 Model S rolled out there were plenty of things not written down. Problem is, Tesla does not have version control for public documentation - they change things as they go and then pretend it's always been that way, or sometime that they only clarified, but changed nothing.

• Love
Reactions: croman
As someone mentioned, not all service centres or experiences are alike. I’ve had an MS since 2016 (a few) and while their verbal communication over the phone has decreased dramatically, I’ve found their email and text responses to be acceptable.

Case in point I have an upcoming booking next week for this rattle noise in the front dash area for months now. I booked it and within 2 days a mobile ranger texted me and walked me through narrowing it down a bit through sending video clips of the noise at diff speeds so they can determine if he can fix it on my driveway vs at the SC. Quite communicative and professional. Ends up it’s going in. A bit of DIY but was hand held through it.

Previous to this, every appt I’ve had I’ve received either a loaner tesla or a rental. Even for a one day repair. I reside in Toronto, Canada and use the Oakville SC. Perhaps it’s different even by country or region.

That’s the positive...now for my issue: parts availability and teslas lack of logistics for tracking their own parts. I waited 2.5 months for a windshield due to a crack (highway stone chip). Nuisance that there are hardly any 3rd party parts avail for the MS/MX? Yes. Can they improve their parts logistics process? Yes. All Teslas fault? Not entirely. If there were alternate parts suppliers, would definitely assist in repair timelines.

I sincerely hope as the company matures and reports consistent profits, attention will start to turn to offering more consistent service across all regions. Starbucks can...LoL.

our neighbor/friend was a manage of of our local service center. After a couple of years? She headed for the Hills. That got me thinking. Have you ever seen one of the managers last more than a couple years? Most of us should know, if we take as many trips down there as the threads would indicate.
I used to joke with them, creating a bit of nervousness. I would say I have your entire wardrobe memorized. I might joke, "Wow, you haven't worn those slacks for at least a month" .

Reactions: Chaserr
I feel sorry for the service centers, the times I've been there (which isn't too many thankfully) at least one staff member was dealing with a customer who was complaining about something not right on their new car. Maybe if Tesla could deliver cars that didn't clog up service centers with things that should never get past the end of line QA checks then they wouldn't all be over stressed and under staffed.

I'm starting to suspect that Tesla will pay a high price for its approach of using existing customers as its primary marketing tool and if Tesla doesn't find a way of fixing the rot quickly, every evangelist could soon become an aggressive detractor. It's almost becoming evident that Tesla just used the loyalty referrals to buy the right to use owner reputations to sell cars as an expedient mechanism to get rapid growth, only to dump them when no longer needed. In my opinion, its owners are actually part of Tesla, and Tesla has forgotten that! It is self harming by turning its back on its (not very distant) roots.

It's so sad and frustrating to see things going this way. I think there are still pockets of excellence at some service centers, but there really is no feeling of corporate loyalty, trust or respect towards previous owners.

For new owners, probably won't matter. I don't feel much corporate love from Renault as a Renault owner! I doubt many Mercedes or BMW owners feel much corporate love, but at least some dealerships understand the need to stroke clients' egos and nurture relationships.

Communication and maintaining relationships are critical things and in Tesla's current phase it seems to have lost sight of this.

I have been mistreated by Tesla since day 1 of owning my Model S. I constantly get called a bull and the only thing I have to do is retell my old and ongoing customer service issues. I really love my car but sometimes I want everyone I have talked at Tesla to be fired.

I really love my car but sometimes I want everyone I have talked at Tesla to be fired.

Sadly, this statement seems to apply to so many owners, yet I also know from personal experience that there are extremes of service at both ends of the spectrum. I can only put that down to a corporate level issue, since no corporate business could rationally promote poor service. It feels like pockets of excellent service manage to exist dispite the corporate service void, while that same void allows poor service to run rampant and unchecked.

The top of the pack issue seems to be communication, and from poor / ineffective communication trickles down so many bigger problems that just get further compounded by poor communication.

Maybe if Tesla could deliver cars that didn't clog up service centers with things that should never get past the end of line QA checks

Yes. My car's first 2 or 3 visits to service were totally to fix stuff that should never have been allowed past QA. And then of course, the service center is having to argue against the corporate (blinkered) belief that it is shipping flawless cars. Combine that with delays in parts availability and SC's are between tough rocks and hard places. Add on the possible corporate bean-counter view that SC's are just generating costs against the bottom line, and you can see that SC's just can't win unless they have someone strong, and comitted to Customer Experience fighting their corner at corporate level.

That said, some do manage to deliver decent service despite those factors, I suspect at least in part as a result of reasonable communication.