Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

J1772 Charging Lock - Prevent unauthorizzed disconnection at public charging stations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So here's the draft CALL CARD. *added: I propose this as the front and back of the tag*

Any thoughts from anyone about the pros and cons of the wording, format etc.? Suggestions, improvements?

ContactCardDraft1.jpg

Last edited:
So here's the draft CALL CARD. Any thoughts from anyone about the pros and cons of the wording, format etc.?

View attachment 20765

I like both. You can have both. One on either side. Allow the folks access so they can print their own. We can laminate them, and attach them to the Capture Pro CP1. If they are lost, then easy to replace them. Also, make sure you include your webpage so other folks can know where to buy them. I suspect many other MS owners will be interested.

Power12 Electric Vehicle Aftermarket

I wasn't too clear - the draft card is of the front and back together. Also, the tag will come with a clear cover and an attachment cord, and can be used as-is or laminated. A person could create their own card insert with their own text if they cared to.

I'll fix the original post.

Also, a great input from SUN RUN was to mention the locked nature of the car in at least one version.

I'll have a new version up tomorrow with more specific and clear labeling

Last edited:
Babylon, the card looks great. But you should also consider shipping a companion card that says "OK to unplug", or "OK to unplug after x:xx" (Maybe have a little clock with hands?).

Plug In America has a similar card (with two sides) HERE. The clock hands were dumped in favor of simplicity; but I still think they could be very useful. That's what an arriving driver wants to know, after all - when will this charger be available? Note that PIA's cards are meant for any EV; so your cards with a little Tesla-specific info (like the fact that no charging status is visible) are helpful.

Last edited:
Babylon, the card looks great. But you should also consider shipping a companion card that says "OK to unplug", or "OK to unplug after x:xx" (Maybe have a little clock with hands?).

I like that too.

I think folks can do their own card, as I'll make the tag business card size, but a clock seems pretty good. IF they use a lock the person couldn't disconnect themselves, but it could be a good indicator when the owner (you) were planning to return. Great idea.

Yes, but unless I'm mistaken, you couldn't actually unplug with the adapter in use (that being the point of this device in the first place).

How true, how true. :) It looks like a great device. I know when I plug into a J1772, the last thing I want to do is keeping checking if someone has unplugged it while I eat lunch and do some shopping or go to a movie. And if someone does unplug the J1772, then I have to get up and go find out what is going on. Tell me that does not suck big time!!!!!

How true, how true. :) It looks like a great device. I know when I plug into a J1772, the last thing I want to do is keeping checking if someone has unplugged it while I eat lunch and do some shopping or go to a movie. And if someone does unplug the J1772, then I have to get up and go find out what is going on. Tell me that does not suck big time!!!!!

I'd suggest everyone set their charging station network account to alert on charging session status. These alerts can be sent via text message directly to your phone, and in some networks are quite configurable about the type of message you want to see.

Updated contact cards - please send your input and/or suggestions before I complete these

Front side
ContactCardFront.jpg

Back side
ContactCardBack.jpg

Yes, but unless I'm mistaken, you couldn't actually unplug with the adapter in use (that being the point of this device in the first place).

Right. And Babylon5 just reworded the cards to indicate that, which is great when you are using the adapter. (B5, the only change I would make is to say "even THOUGH no indicator is visible" rather than "even IF").

But when people don't need a charge at all, or will be parked there for longer than they need to charge, I hope they don't use the adapter and set a card on their dashboard so people know it is OK to unplug.

In both cases, a "time I will return" can be handy. Although if you leave contact information, they can contact you to get it.

Right. And Babylon5 just reworded the cards to indicate that, which is great when you are using the adapter. (B5, the only change I would make is to say "even THOUGH no indicator is visible" rather than "even IF").

But when people don't need a charge at all, or will be parked there for longer than they need to charge, I hope they don't use the adapter and set a card on their dashboard so people know it is OK to unplug.

In both cases, a "time I will return" can be handy. Although if you leave contact information, they can contact you to get it.

Great points. The only problem I have with the clock idea is that the tag system I am going to provide locks the card into the tag, and the effort to take it all apart to write on it then replace it seemed excessive.
I will place some text on my site to refer to the PlugIn America site, and suggest that leaving the charging session unlocked is a very reasonable action when you only want to top-up -- let them have it if they want -- this is where a the Plug-In America green tag would be nice to have.

I don't have a plan for a 'convertible' tag that could do both at this time. I'll have to think on it - maybe that's a different product on its own?

Take a look at this card -- I think it's a little more useful (since it actually lists a time after which it's okay to unplug) and more likely to be respected by the person reading it... because it's more respectful to the person reading it.

Electric Vehicle Courtesy Charging Protocol (PDF)

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, wait, sorry... I got confused between this thread and this one http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...g-Contact-card-DRAFT-(to-attach-to-converter)... Doesn't make much sense to tell people it's "okay to unplug" when you've used a nifty doohickey to lock the plug in place! ;)

Take a look at this card -- I think it's a little more useful (since it actually lists a time after which it's okay to unplug) and more likely to be respected by the person reading it... because it's more respectful to the person reading it.

Electric Vehicle Courtesy Charging Protocol (PDF)

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, wait, sorry... I got confused between this thread and this one http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...g-Contact-card-DRAFT-(to-attach-to-converter)... Doesn't make much sense to tell people it's "okay to unplug" when you've used a nifty doohickey to lock the plug in place! ;)

Hmmmm. Ok, Sounds like your comment is a criticism - interestingly phrased for sure. I'll have a look.

One wouldn't always have the lock on the converter, as it was designed to lock when you need the charge - I agree that an "OK to remove" label or tab would be quite useful as well and should be the default situation.

I'm taking all these suggestions (even the snarky ones) into account on still another design I have. If you all behave I might show it to you.

- - - Updated - - -
I had a look - it's a freaking billboard. I was limited on room so I pulled words out to make it all fit - it was not because I don't respect others. :frown:

Last edited:
@Babylonfive - I wasn't trying to be snarky; I'm sorry if it came across that way. I'm hoping to be constructive and helpful with my comments, certainly not the opposite.

I like the language on the PDF I linked to, because it feels to me like it's less confrontational than the draft you proposed... And adding the "Okay to unplug at X time" is really helpful, since the Model S doesn't show someone when it's done charging (if it's locked and you've walked away), it's possible that your car could actually be done charging when someone else is reading your card. It seems unfair/inaccurate to indicate that your car is charging when it's (potentially) not. Then again, as you said, if you're locking the J1772 to your car, then it's because you really need to get the full charge...

And for what it's worth, I don't like the design of the card I linked to... You're totally right about being a billboard! :)

@Babylonfive - I wasn't trying to be snarky; I'm sorry if it came across that way. I'm hoping to be constructive and helpful with my comments, certainly not the opposite.

I like the language on the PDF I linked to, because it feels to me like it's less confrontational than the draft you proposed... And adding the "Okay to unplug at X time" is really helpful, since the Model S doesn't show someone when it's done charging (if it's locked and you've walked away), it's possible that your car could actually be done charging when someone else is reading your card. It seems unfair/inaccurate to indicate that your car is charging when it's (potentially) not. Then again, as you said, if you're locking the J1772 to your car, then it's because you really need to get the full charge...

And for what it's worth, I don't like the design of the card I linked to... You're totally right about being a billboard! :)

Andrew - it's all good. Only didn't take well to the implication that I'm not being respectful.

In fact, I agree very much with what you were saying - it integrates well with recent consideration on how to express a 'conditional' message... I'm cool to be unplugged sometimes, and not cool (actively discouraging) at others. I've developed an improvement to the 'tag' that I think you might like. Here it is:

:biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:
@Babylonfive - Nice video! I like the "Locked - Unplug attempt will cause damage" language, since that will always be true when the lock is in place (whether or not the car is actively charging).

Will the phone number section on the green tag be visible whether locked or unlocked? Seems like that would be a nice feature.

@Babylonfive - Nice video! I like the "Locked - Unplug attempt will cause damage" language, since that will always be true when the lock is in place (whether or not the car is actively charging).

Will the phone number section on the green tag be visible whether locked or unlocked? Seems like that would be a nice feature.

Yup, it's visible. Although I'm disappointed that the video didn't make that clear enough.

I've added some features to the website this weekend:
- a feedback process (using a very short survey, but leaving room for text responses) that can be anonymous if desired
- a forum is now available inside Power12 for various product and website Q&A as well as any other interesting comment or experience
- improved instructions

I've also got new labeling ready to go, but I need to decide how to easily and smoothly describe it. I've got a nice video showing the labels on the Tesla converter and on the CapturePro, but I'm not really done with this yet.

I'm finalizing the last of the engineering changes this week, with updates to the website over the next week, including:
- the new engineering changes
- new labeling (as earlier messages describe)
- updated website features of: direct feedback and survey, better directions, and a new public forum.

Thanks to everyone who's bought already and those awaiting their product. All previous CP1 purchasers should also expect a d-revision model as soon as they are available.

David

I'm finalizing the last of the engineering changes this week, with updates to the website over the next week, including:
- the new engineering changes
- new labeling (as earlier messages describe)
- updated website features of: direct feedback and survey, better directions, and a new public forum.

Thanks to everyone who's bought already and those awaiting their product. All previous CP1 purchasers should also expect a d-revision model as soon as they are available.

David

David, great job! You are doing a wonderful job supporting your early adopters and also getting new revisions out. Thank you, Robert