Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

J1772 Charging Lock - Prevent unauthorizzed disconnection at public charging stations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Update: Production molding and adjustments took longer than expected, but now looking to ship the current orders with the newest design around June 1.

This will include the update to work with shrouded charging plugs, and will include the new labeling system supporting locking and non-locking situations. We are very excited to deliver this new design and to show the system at TESLIVE.

David

Update: Production molding and adjustments took longer than expected, but now looking to ship the current orders with the newest design around June 1.

This will include the update to work with shrouded charging plugs, and will include the new labeling system supporting locking and non-locking situations. We are very excited to deliver this new design and to show the system at TESLIVE.

David
Were you able to start shipping on June 1?

David

Good work! And thank you letting us early adopters know what is going on.

All,

I am happy to announce that production shipments of the CapturePro have begun. All shipments previously delayed are being shipping today - you should expect them within a few days via USPS Priority. Unfortunately, our new label system materials are late, so we will send those labels in a separate shipment, ideally within just another few days.

Further, previous customers with the older design will receive the new model, also shipping within the next week.

We'll be doing some updates on the website to making navigation easier for new visitors and to make product instructions more crisp and clear. Then, we will start announcing our new products coming out of engineering. We'll have lots to talk about, and some new things to show, at TESLIVE.

:eek:

Thanks to everyone for their patience. Feel free to email me with any issues or questions (use the email on the website, or from the new Power12 Forums on our site)

We JUST received the production plastics, but embarrassingly the new charging 'status stickers' are late, so we are expecting to ship starting the end of this week.

Apologies to all those waiting.

David

David was kind enough to ship my Capture Pro charger lock early, so I'd have it for my trip to Kansas City this weekend where being able to assure a full charge is imperative to get me home.

The construction and design of this device is outstanding in its simplicity. It is light weigh, but feels very strong and durable. It works as designed. It did take some trial & error to get it to work just right as from the videos I assumed it was all about finding the right hole size. The real trick is finding the hole with the TAB that'll fully keep the lock depressed while still letting the Capure Pro slide fully over the J1772 adapter hub. One you get it, it is easy as pie.

Highly recommended if anyone is on the fence.
3a7e7emu.jpg

6ytymata.jpg

Evan, Via Tapatalk

Everyone should soon receive your label system. It provides a method to signal openness to be unplugged, in combination with a clear warning when you DON'T want to be unplugged.

The web site should be updated this weekend with the data and instructions on the labels.

Mine came in yesterday's mail (just got home today). Must say that I'm impressed with the quality of the stickers and the design is very professional looking. Not to mention it is shipped well packaged. Application was easy. A nice addition to an already excellent and ingenious product.

Got mine--works great. Efusco-thx for the hint on how to select the proper slot. If you pick a larger slot, then someone can get the charger button down just enough to cause the ChargePoint to hiccup. Stickers are perfect--remember to use a permanent Sharpie marker. Thx to Babylonfive.

See you @ Teslive.

Hi!

Thank you for the labels following the CapturePro. Well designed and made!

I ran into a serious problem today:

I have been using only one ChargePoint J1772 public charger and I've been playing with the CapturePro with that to get familiar. Last time I had no problem. However I had noticed that I had not used a slot to catch the release hook of the J1772 very tightly, so it was still possible to wiggle it loose. I somehow figured out that I needed to depress the J1772 button to make the Tesla unlock the adapter before, but didn't take it too seriously.

Today I used a slot that kept the hook tight to the Tesla adapter and went on my way. When I came back, I swiped the card on the ChargePoint terminal to end charging, but noticed that the Model S would not release the J1772/Adapter combo from the charge port. Having the car unlocked and door open didn't suffice. For that to happen I apparently would have had to depress the button on the J1772 enough to send a signal to the Tesla to release the adapter. With the CapturePro in place I could not do that, and I could also of course not release the hook to separate the adapter. Wiggling, and prying with a key (the only "tool" I had on me) didn't help.

I looked on-line and saw that issue discussed on the Tesla forum. One suggestion was to set charging to max range in order to restart a session and then to stop it. Since the ChargePoint had ended the session it insisted that I return the J1772 to the slot by the charge terminal and I couldn't do that. I was unable to re-initiate a charging session from the Tesla interface.

I ended up walking 15 min to the next Home Depot, buying a few tools and walking back 15 min. With a screwdriver I was able to wedge the CapturePro away from the hook enough to get it loose and separate the two. Then I was able to get the adapter out. I ended up being an hour late back to work from lunch.

The CapturePro suffered a little, and there is now a gouge that I may be able to smooth out, but it won't slide smoothly over the adapter collar before I do that.

Bottom line: The CapturePro works well, as intended. But - with the combo of ChargePoint having one opinion about ending a session and the Tesla another, along with the Tesla refusing to let go, it kept the car tethered to the charge cable with no solution other than brute force.

Do you have any experience along those lines or advice as to what to do in a case like that?