Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Jack/Lift Pads

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Figured I would mention this as many probably do not know. The model Y needs special jack pads when lifting on any typical garage lift like the ones found in tire shops.

There are 4 holes about 1" in diameter under the car where one inserts what looks like a hockey puck with a nipple. Material seems to be the same as a hockey puck albeit a little softer. There is a profusion of aluminum ones out there but just the fact that rubber does not wear or cannot scratch your car whether under the lift or stored inside car and it cannot oxidize/rust make the hockey puck version a better choice IMHO.

I keep a set of 4 in the car stored for when I go to the garage and they do not have the proper adapter to lift a Tesla. All it takes is an inexperienced employee to lift the car without these and there can be possible battery damage which I expect will not be fixed for $100.

Here is a link to the hockey puck style, many listings have not updated to include model Y but I can confirm a model 3 fit is perfect as this is what I ordered.
https://www.amazon.ca/CPROSP-Tesla-...words=model+3+jack+pad&qid=1608277180&sr=8-12

Have used them many times as I play with my car since I do have access to a lift at the shop. Works really well. The nipple has an o-ring around it which is what holds it in place so it does not fall out. Simply present the nipple to the hole and twist while inserting (this does sound kinda strange) To remove simply twist while pulling down.

I like the DIY version however it must be an old video as prices have dropped considerably. OnIy paid $25 for 4 which one would have a hard time buying the pucks, doorstops and screws for that kind of money not to mention the convenience of picking them up at your doorstep.

If lift pads (jack pads) were required then Tesla would include information on the use of lift pads when raising the Tesla vehicle. Tesla does not provide any information re lift pads in the Tesla vehicle owner's manual.

Lift pads make it easier to locate the proper lift point(s). A single lift pad can be used with a low profile floor jack with a steel cup at the end of the lift arm. The lift pad should be fully covered by the cup at the end of the lift pad so that the lift arm cannot slide off of the lift pad.

Lift pads should not be used with scissor jack.

Lift pads (set of 4) can be used with a floor lift but are not required as long as the lift arms are properly positioned over the four lift points.

When rotating the tires (front to back) you can raise both wheels off the ground by lifting the Tesla vehicle from the front lift point using a low profile floor jack. You can use a single lift pad if you desire.

If lift pads (jack pads) were required then Tesla would include information on the use of lift pads when raising the Tesla vehicle. Tesla does not provide any information re lift pads in the Tesla vehicle owner's manual.
In the manual it refers to placing the lift pads in the proper area. Garages have all types of adapters (lift pads) to suit many vehicles however the Tesla is a little off beat so yes many cannot adapt properly. Bottom line is you do need a lift pad as per the jacking instructions in the manual. The hockey puck type are just small and convenient and suggest everyone have a set in the trunk if required.

I interpret the instructions as being specifically for raising the Tesla Model Y using a floor lift. There is no mention of using Tesla-specific lift pads, only properly positioning the lift arm pads of the floor lift at the four lift points shown in the diagram.

I'm curious to know what the Tesla SC does when lifting a Tesla vehicle. Also, when Tesla Mobile Service comes to your home will they use a lift pad if you provide one to rotate the tires?

Had a remote service person come to do a repair in the truck and was asking about the need for tire rotation, he explained about the hockey pucks and he said they are good to have if you bring your car to someone other than Tesla. I went with the tire rotation which he did in my driveway. He brought out his jack which did not have a puck, but a sheet of rubber on the lifting end, he placed it at the jack point and lifted the car on the front and lifted both wheels off the ground to do the rotation !! It worked and got some good tips from him.

• Informative
Reactions: jcanoe
Figured I would mention this as many probably do not know. The model Y needs special jack pads when lifting on any typical garage lift like the ones found in tire shops.

There are 4 holes about 1" in diameter under the car where one inserts what looks like a hockey puck with a nipple. Material seems to be the same as a hockey puck albeit a little softer. There is a profusion of aluminum ones out there but just the fact that rubber does not wear or cannot scratch your car whether under the lift or stored inside car and it cannot oxidize/rust make the hockey puck version a better choice IMHO.

I keep a set of 4 in the car stored for when I go to the garage and they do not have the proper adapter to lift a Tesla. All it takes is an inexperienced employee to lift the car without these and there can be possible battery damage which I expect will not be fixed for $100.

Here is a link to the hockey puck style, many listings have not updated to include model Y but I can confirm a model 3 fit is perfect as this is what I ordered.
https://www.amazon.ca/CPROSP-Tesla-...words=model+3+jack+pad&qid=1608277180&sr=8-12

Have used them many times as I play with my car since I do have access to a lift at the shop. Works really well. The nipple has an o-ring around it which is what holds it in place so it does not fall out. Simply present the nipple to the hole and twist while inserting (this does sound kinda strange) To remove simply twist while pulling down.
the hole on my 2023 tesla model y is about less than 1 inch to be exact 19.5mm do you know who sell this size.

the hole on my 2023 tesla model y is about less than 1 inch to be exact 19.5mm do you know who sell this size.
Plenty of offerings on Amazon.

I bought these namely because it would get to me in the morning after ordering. Originally, I wasn't planning on getting any kind of pucks until I thought about the fact I'm usually lazy and it makes it easier to SEE the spot from the side once I put them in. Tired of crouching down to see the underside of any car, so if I don't have to, then I'll avoid it.

Of course, once I used them... I forgot to take them out and went to work. It wasn't until I was halfway to work already when I saw another Tesla (Model S, I think) with something hanging down and it made me think "did I take the pucks out?!?" As soon as I took my exit I pulled into a parking lot to remove the pucks... man, they're hard to pull out. Which I guess is good, since it made it hard to fall out going 80 mph on the highway.

One drawback was the fact I couldn't get my 3-1/2 floor jack under it, so I had to use one of my older 2 tons ones that had a lower profile. I have no idea why I have 3 floor jacks.