Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DIY tire rotation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those of you worried that your floor jack may fail, you could pick one of these up.
Basically turn your floor jack into a Rennstand for 1/2 the price.

Is it too late for me to rotate tires ~9,000 miles on this set of wheels, been meaning to rotate at 6,000 but lazy etc. Previous cars were all staggered so couldnt really rotate
Not at all. While I aim for every 6K.. I did my first at 10K because the tires were wearing so evenly and even Tesla mobile service agreed it was best to wait for 10K.

Also rotating tires isn't just about maximizing tread life. Pulling the wheels off your car gives you a chance to inspect the insides of the wheel & tire, look for any defects and damage.. and catch possible safety hazards before they get worst. Last year I pulled a wheel to plug a nail I found in a tire and damn if I didn't find a 2nd screw in that tire! Ending up plugging both.

Really? I bought the cheapest 1/2” Ryobi impact wrench I could find. Cost me $75 and easily breaks the 129ft lbs.
I could never go back to breaker bars and manually wrenching all the lug nuts.
Mines 7yrs old... motors and batteries have advanced a lot since then.

It was fine on all my previous cars which were like 80lbft. I think mine maxes out at 120lbft. I've debated getting a new one, but can't bring myself to do it for 2 wheel swaps a year. I only use the breaker to break them loose, the impact does the rest and puts them on, too.

Always need a torque wrench in the end though

Just an FYI:

They're wheel chocks. Chalk is the soft white limestone (calcium carbonate) formed from the skeletal remains of sea creatures.

Oh gee, and it won't let me fix it now. I will forever go down in infamy for a spelling error on TMC or will I fade from memory like Dan Quayle when he was shamed back in the day for misspelling potato, when we still had some standards for the guy who would have his finger on the nuclear button?

I think it is overall safer to use a single high quality floor jack and not try to also use a jack stand. The reason is, there is no good place to put a jack stand other than one of the designated lift points, and to get one side lifted high enough to accomplish this adds unnecessary risk. Attempting to balance a stand under the suspension joints adds more chances for things to go wrong. I say keep it simple. Floor jack from one lift point just high enough to get both wheels off the ground. You could use a second jack/stand/block/wheel as a failsafe, but don't put any load on it. If you are not comfortable swapping front to back with a jack stand it may be best to go to a tire shop.

Reactions: MacO512 and Daekwan
I think it is overall safer to use a single high quality floor jack and not try to also use a jack stand. The reason is, there is no good place to put a jack stand other than one of the designated lift points, and to get one side lifted high enough to accomplish this adds unnecessary risk. Attempting to balance a stand under the suspension joints adds more chances for things to go wrong. I say keep it simple. Floor jack from one lift point just high enough to get both wheels off the ground. You could use a second jack/stand/block/wheel as a failsafe, but don't put any load on it. If you are not comfortable swapping front to back with a jack stand it may be best to go to a tire shop.
Tesla mobile service also uses a single jack and lifts one side of the car at a time when rotating tires. Use the rear lift point if possible as the rear is slightly heavier.

Reactions: MacO512 and DrGriz
Mines 7yrs old... motors and batteries have advanced a lot since then.

It was fine on all my previous cars which were like 80lbft. I think mine maxes out at 120lbft. I've debated getting a new one, but can't bring myself to do it for 2 wheel swaps a year. I only use the breaker to break them loose, the impact does the rest and puts them on, too.

Always need a torque wrench in the end though
Nowadays pretty much any 18v impact driver will do the trick. Doesn’t even have to be lug nut/socket style impact. My 1/4” hex Milwaukee Fuel M18 impact with an 1/2” socket adapter cracks the 129 ft/lb with no problem. These newer power tools produce a ridiculous amount of power now that they have all gone brushless.

Reactions: Daekwan and DrGriz
Got around to doing it and think it was worth it, my rear tires were slightly more worn than my fronts and got to test out my ModernSpare which rotating wheels (one floor jack). For a second I was worried as my lug wouldnt fit into the ModernSpare hole then realized they alternate between narrow and wide on the ModernSpare

This is how Tesla recommends you rotate your tires. Their battery pack is rigid enough to support the car lifting from one spot.
If you pay Tesla to rotate your tires, they will do it this way.
What data do you have that verifies this puts too much stress on the body?
People keep saying this. It's simply not true. I haven't found any data with Tesla recommending that you jack up the car from a single spot. In fact, their jacking and lifting instructions only mention using a lift (which means jacking from 4 points). They don't have tire rotations as a recommended DIY. How Tesla does a tire rotation? I don't know but I assume they use lifts. I'll be buying a second jack to avoid doing the single jack point. It's cheap insurance.

Jacking and Lifting​

Jacking Procedure​

Follow the steps below to lift Model Y. Ensure that any non-Tesla repair facility is aware of these lifting points.
  1. Position Model Y centrally between the lift posts.
  2. Position the lift arm pads under the designated body lift points at the locations shown.
    Warning
    DO NOT position the lift arm pads under the Battery or side rails.
    Note
    The following illustration is provided to improve conceptual understanding. The exact location of the lift points may differ slightly. Check the vehicle itself for exact location of lift points.
    View from under vehicle with lift points shown in green and areas to avoid shown in red.
  3. Adjust the height and position of the lift arm pads to ensure that they are correctly located.
  4. With assistance, raise the lift to the desired height, ensuring the lift arm pads remain in their correct positions.
  5. Engage any lift safety locks. Follow the lift manufacturer's instructions.
Warning
Never raise Model Y when the charge cable is connected, even if charging is not in progress.
Warning
Do not work on an incorrectly supported vehicle. Doing so can cause serious damage, bodily injury, or death.
CAUTION
DO NOT lift from under the Battery or side rails. Place the lift arm pads under the designated body lift points only. The locations shown are the only approved lifting points for Model Y. Lifting at any other points can cause damage. Damage caused by incorrectly lifting Model Y is not covered by the warranty.

Reactions: Ghia
People keep saying this. It's simply not true. I haven't found any data with Tesla recommending that you jack up the car from a single spot. In fact, their jacking and lifting instructions only mention using a lift (which means jacking from 4 points). They don't have tire rotations as a recommended DIY. How Tesla does a tire rotation? I don't know but I assume they use lifts. I'll be buying a second jack to avoid doing the single jack point. It's cheap insurance.
Do you really think the mobile service techs pack lifts in their vehicles?
Tesla mobile uses 1 jack to lift up the entire side of the car. They take both wheels off and swap front to back.
Guess what, if you take your Tesla to Discount Tire/Americas Tire they do the same thing. They have lifts, but to maximize their work they will use a jack to work on some cars outside the service bay.

Do you really think the mobile service techs pack lifts in their vehicles?
Tesla mobile uses 1 jack to lift up the entire side of the car. They take both wheels off and swap front to back.
Guess what, if you take your Tesla to Discount Tire/Americas Tire they do the same thing. They have lifts, but to maximize their work they will use a jack to work on some cars outside the service bay.
You're probably right about the mobile techs, but that still doesn't make it good practice and I don't see Tesla recommending it anywhere as was claimed. I'll rotate with two jacks, it's no skin off my back. For those of you that do use one jack, I've read that you should only use the rear jack point to lift the whole side.

Last edited:
You're probably right about the mobile techs, but that still doesn't make it good practice and I don't see Tesla recommending it anywhere as was claimed. I'll rotate with two jacks, it's no skin off my back. For those of you that do use one jack, I've read that you should only use the rear jack point to lift the whole side.
So, you’re saying the Tesla Mobile service techs are not following good practice?
They wouldn’t be doing it if it wasn’t ok to do. Apparently you know how to do it better than Tesla 🤷‍♂️

So, you’re saying the Tesla Mobile service techs are not following good practice?
They wouldn’t be doing it if it wasn’t ok to do. Apparently you know how to do it better than Tesla 🤷‍♂️
So the techs do it, yet it's not recommended anywhere in their literature. Using two jacks will distribute weight better than one, so in this case, yes I'd be doing it better than a Tesla mobile tech. I've seen plenty of techs, shops and even dealerships screw up cars, which is why I always do my own work within reason because I care about my vehicle a lot more than they will. Sorry, I'm not trying to sound like a know it all but I've always done my own work on my cars and have a garage full of tools for that purpose. Last time I was at a dealership (air bag recall) , the advisor told me I needed new rotors and pads on the rear of my Honda. I informed him they were actually drums and I'd just done the job.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ghia
I may get a second jack to make my next rotation faster ( I do have a scissor jack for my spare wheel) but didnt want to chance balancing the car on that and my floor jack. If you have a spare wheel you can just use your one jack swap out one wheel put on the spare and repeat for each wheel. I didnt try jacking up one side to swap front back because I did the X- Pattern tire rotation (my aftermarket wheels/tires same size/not directional that I have on my MYP)

I may get a second jack to make my next rotation faster ( I do have a scissor jack for my spare wheel) but didnt want to chance balancing the car on that and my floor jack. If you have a spare wheel you can just use your one jack swap out one wheel put on the spare and repeat for each wheel. I didnt try jacking up one side to swap front back because I did the X- Pattern tire rotation (my aftermarket wheels/tires same size/not directional that I have on my MYP)
Yeah, scissor jacks can be pretty squirrely. I'd only use them in a pinch. I do have a bottle jack, which those are highly reliable but the contact surface is pretty small. Think I'll pull it out the shed and see if I can work something with it.