Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Jaguar I-Pace

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The activity key is valuable for surfers and swimmers. What do they do with a Model S key? Does the Model 3 key card resist water?
For me as a skier and cyclist, the activity key is not important.

I'm pretty sure the key card for the 3 is pure passive RFID and totally immune to water.

The other thing is, these days a lot of folks have smart watches that they'd take with them in any activity - and apps like Remote S that give you full control of the car's remote functions from the watch.

I don't run, but I wonder if runners actually set off with "nothing" on their person?

If I'm out in the garden, and no one is around, I take my phone "just in case" ...

We managed several millennia of survival without phones. I think I can make it for a jog in the park. Besides, I've already procreated, TWICE!

I'm pretty sure the key card for the 3 is pure passive RFID and totally immune to water.

The other thing is, these days a lot of folks have smart watches that they'd take with them in any activity - and apps like Remote S that give you full control of the car's remote functions from the watch.

I don't like watches. Haven't worn one since college, when i got my first cell phone. Plus these smart watches are just going to be junk in 2-3 years. There's no reasonable life span on them. Apple has to sell new iwatches, not just old ones, ya know. Gotta force people to dump the millions if iPad 3s out there. Otherwise where would the profits be?

I like to run with my phone in hand. I am confident it will withstand some sweating.

Then the Activity Key is not for you. It's for people who don't want to carry their phone. Most cars today, including the Jags, unlock using your cellphone or cellwatch. IIRC, February 2004 was the last time we bought a car or truck that could not be unlocked with a cellphone.

I think it's refreshing that there are companies today who will still work with clients who aren't tethered to their phone. I outgrew the cellphone era. It was replaced by embedded technologies. I'd no more carry a cellphone than hedge trimmers with me. If I need one today, I will grab one, use it, then put it back.

• Love
Reactions: kavyboy
Most cars today, including the Jags, unlock using your cellphone or cellwatch.

I'm not understanding this. Do you mean the I_Pace works like the Model 3, where you can use ONLY a phone, and do not need to carry a key fob to unlock and drive the car? If you need to carry the fob in your pocket, it will unlock the car automatically so what value is added by your cellphone or watch?

I like the Tesla approach, but my impression was that the Jaguar does not work that way, and requires a key.

Link the the I-pace handbook with an illustration of the cars very typical key. Jaguar Owner Information

Are you referring to the emergency key? Or the fob? There is nothing wrong with fobs. It's not like you must carry it if you have 100% trust in the electronic system.

If the battery is dead or computer glitch, how to you open a car with electric only locks? The answer is an emergency key. Nothing else will work in all cases except breaking a window.

I'm not understanding this. Do you mean the I_Pace works like the Model 3, where you can use ONLY a phone, and do not need to carry a key fob to unlock and drive the car? If you need to carry the fob in your pocket, it will unlock the car automatically so what value is added by your cellphone or watch?

I like the Tesla approach, but my impression was that the Jaguar does not work that way, and requires a key.

You leave the fob in the 'no battery' spot, and unlock the car with your phone. Once the door opens, push the start button to drive it. The fob is handy for valet or other situations. It has a hidden mechanical key to unlock the vehicle if the electronics fail.

You leave the fob in the 'no battery' spot, and unlock the car with your phone. Once the door opens, push the start button to drive it. The fob is handy for valet or other situations. It has a hidden mechanical key to unlock the vehicle if the electronics fail.

Thanks. Does the I-Pace have a 'no battery used' spot inside the cabin? That would be pretty good, though I still like the Model 3 approach, with a wallet-sized key card as a backup.

Sorry for the basic questions - I've had my current car since 1998.

Thanks. Does the I-Pace have a 'no battery used' spot inside the cabin? That would be pretty good, though I still like the Model 3 approach, with a wallet-sized key card as a backup.

Sorry for the basic questions - I've had my current car since 1998.

Yes AFAIK. The i-Pace manual is a work in progress still. This is from the F-Pace manual:

put it up against the steering column on the left side in the spot noted by the three raised lines to get it to start.

This is the spot you need to use if ever the battery in the fob dies and you have to open the car with the Emergency Key in the fob.

Are you referring to the emergency key? Or the fob? There is nothing wrong with fobs. It's not like you must carry it if you have 100% trust in the electronic system.

If the battery is dead or computer glitch, how to you open a car with electric only locks? The answer is an emergency key. Nothing else will work in all cases except breaking a window.
I was walking about the FOB. The Tesla FOB has an edge here I would say, also because the Jag will not auto lock.

But my I-pace arrives at the harbour 10th of August, delivery less than 4 weeks after, so hope I can live with that.

Remember, the 22" wheels on an X cut 10-15% off range, and these ipaces were running 22s with what i think is the same Goodyear Eagle F1s that Tesla uses. Figure another 10-15% range with the 20s and probably more with 18s, as compared to the 418 wh/mi. More to the point, these miles were driven by road test editors. Vroom vroom.

• Informative
Reactions: kablammyman
Spotted one on the road today.
IMG_20180618_163713.jpg