Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Jaguar I-Pace

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've seen a spate of reports on this vehicle, which I previously had paid no attention to. Some are hyping it up as the fabled "Tesla killer", which I really don't see. To my eyes it's much less attractive than a Model S and has more limited charging options. If it were a capable off-roader then I would be much more intrigued, but I'm not convinced from what I've seen thus far. (Which I can also say about the Model X, but AFAIK Tesla haven't attempted to sell it as one either.)

There's *an (ahem) Jaguar Promotional* video available of the i-Pace racing 0-60mph against both the X 75D and the X 100D. Is the 90D notable quicker to 60mph than either of those sister models?

hope you don't mind the edit.

as a Brit I look on Jaguar very favorably, however why Jaguar are promoting this car so hard is slightly confusing to me.

That they will sell all they can make is a given
That they wont be making many is also a truth
That they will not be making anything like the profit per vehicle that Tesla do is all but a certainty
That they dont have their own charging network is a fact, and relying on the vaguaries of the public networks in the UK would alone be sufficent to put me back in an ICE. Individual use case will determine how much of an issue this is ofc.

It seems like Jag are terrified to sell it against the rest of their range for fear that they will self-harm, so are trying to position themselves as the only/primary alternative to Tesla perhaps more so they are viewed as the establishment by the time VAG/MB get their models out. But pushing this too hard is likely to backfire on them.

Also to consider
Jag's existing ICE reliability is not stellar
This is a whole new 1st gen technology for Jaguar, so jury is out for me on that, to be fair warranty is solid though.
I want to see battery reliability/degradation proven/vampire losses/charge times/real world range
The use of pouch cells in the battery may or may not be an issue but it is significantly different to Tesla tried and trusted cylindical cells. I am not saying Note7 but ...
Media system looks boringly tradiional unimaginitive small screen fayre.
What is the service network going to be? No way will they sell enough numbers to justify every dealership being trained to service high voltage vehicles, if they do so it would just be stupidly uneconomic.
What about accident repairs? Tesla recognised the risk early on and controlled this (with mixed success admittedly) but are Jag just going to let any old bodyshop loose on their EVs. Mad if they do.

I guess what I am saying is that there is a lot more to BEVs that Tesla have worked out over the years, and that I suspect some of the other automotive companies are going to find out pretty soon.

I wish Jaguar well, and no doubt the positioning of the vehicle directly in a gap in Tesla's range is a smart move (note that MB and VAG are also pitching directly for the same CUV segment) but I for one am going to sit back and watch how this unfolds for a while and hope it doesn't end up in tears.

hope you don't mind the edit.

as a Brit I look on Jaguar very favorably, however why Jaguar are promoting this car so hard is slightly confusing to me.

That they will sell all they can make is a given
That they wont be making many is also a truth
That they will not be making anything like the profit per vehicle that Tesla do is all but a certainty
That they dont have their own charging network is a fact, and relying on the vaguaries of the public networks in the UK would alone be sufficent to put me back in an ICE. Individual use case will determine how much of an issue this is ofc.

It seems like Jag are terrified to sell it against the rest of their range for fear that they will self-harm, so are trying to position themselves as the only/primary alternative to Tesla perhaps more so they are viewed as the establishment by the time VAG/MB get their models out. But pushing this too hard is likely to backfire on them.

Also to consider
Jag's existing ICE reliability is not stellar
This is a whole new 1st gen technology for Jaguar, so jury is out for me on that, to be fair warranty is solid though.
I want to see battery reliability/degradation proven/vampire losses/charge times/real world range
The use of pouch cells in the battery may or may not be an issue but it is significantly different to Tesla tried and trusted cylindical cells. I am not saying Note7 but ...
Media system looks boringly tradiional unimaginitive small screen fayre.
What is the service network going to be? No way will they sell enough numbers to justify every dealership being trained to service high voltage vehicles, if they do so it would just be stupidly uneconomic.
What about accident repairs? Tesla recognised the risk early on and controlled this (with mixed success admittedly) but are Jag just going to let any old bodyshop loose on their EVs. Mad if they do.

I guess what I am saying is that there is a lot more to BEVs that Tesla have worked out over the years, and that I suspect some of the other automotive companies are going to find out pretty soon.

I wish Jaguar well, and no doubt the positioning of the vehicle directly in a gap in Tesla's range is a smart move (note that MB and VAG are also pitching directly for the same CUV segment) but I for one am going to sit back and watch how this unfolds for a while and hope it doesn't end up in tears.
I’m a Jaguar fan as well and started in 1970 with an XKE, then a XJS V-12 then a XK-8. Loved them all even with the problems, so looking forward to the I-Pace. The only negative for me will be long distance charging.

763C69E7-4000-4B17-9186-95C88CFB6A34.jpeg
I came across a platoon of I-Paces(??) on the 241 in Orange County CA ... there were 4 of them being followed by a Model S. They looked good, but are really much smaller than the MS. More of a Model Y competitor. Sorry for the poor pic quality. It’s from my dash cam.

View attachment 311760 I came across a platoon of I-Paces(??) on the 241 in Orange County CA ... there were 4 of them being followed by a Model S. They looked good, but are really much smaller than the MS. More of a Model Y competitor. Sorry for the poor pic quality. It’s from my dash cam.
Thanks Tim. Yes, the I-Pace' footprint is almost identical to that of the Model 3. It's taller, presumably similar to Model Y.

Of course, I-Pace will have one great advantage over the Model Y for the next few years - it exists!

I've seen a spate of reports on this vehicle, which I previously had paid no attention to. Some are hyping it up as the fabled "Tesla killer", which I really don't see. To my eyes it's much less attractive than a Model S and has more limited charging options. If it were a capable off-roader then I would be much more intrigued, but I'm not convinced from what I've seen thus far. (Which I can also say about the Model X, but AFAIK Tesla haven't attempted to sell it as one either.)
Who hyped it as a Tesla-killer?

I can't imagine any knowledgeable reviewer saying that.

The ipace is the next gen of EVs, ones built by traditional car companies in a more traditional business model. It's like the Bolt. The S, X, M3, Spark EV, Fiat 500e, i3, and so on are an older generation, built more for tech or compliance or vision than an actual business model. The deluge of EVs is coming. I'm so happy!

1pace?

It must translate to English differently from the original Eurpean language, but to me "1pace" isn't telling me much I want in a car.

Jaguar is a British company, owned by an Indian company. So the original "European" language of I-Pace is English. It's not translated at all.

Would the name be more meaningful for you if they had called it, say, the C-Class, or the Model 3? What do those names tell you?

Jaguar is a British company, owned by an Indian company. So the original "European" language of I-Pace is English. It's not translated at all.

Would the name be more meaningful for you if they had called it, say, the C-Class, or the Model 3? What do those names tell you?
Yes. C and 3 tell me what price and quality to expect. Same with E and 5, or S and 7. Surely you noticed?
How about their website?
Build your NEW ALL-ELECTRIC JAGUAR I-PACE
BTW it's an I-Pace, not 1 Pace
I wasted half an hour of my life doing that before I posted that I couldn't find the price. That site never lists a price!

Yes. C and 3 tell me what price and quality to expect. Same with E and 5, or S and 7. Surely you noticed?

I wasted half an hour of my life doing that before I posted that I couldn't find the price. That site never lists a price!

A half an hour? That's pretty funny, because the price is all over the site, starting at the top of the page linked. Did you forget to put on your glasses?

So, X > S >3? Impala > Malibu? You may be unable to read a website, but apparently you are a savant when it comes to gleaning product information from cryptic labels!

• Funny
Reactions: cizUK
Two things I noticed was that the P100 had around 90% SOC while the I-pace had around 20%, no knowledge on the 100.
In the rolling test, there definitely sat a guy in the rear of the Jag, no knowledge on the others.
Pretty inconclusive, except that the Jag and X100D have pretty similar performance.

Reactions: kablammyman
Who hyped it as a Tesla-killer?

I can't imagine any knowledgeable reviewer saying that.

Well, since you asked → Is Jaguar's Game-Changing I-Pace A Tesla Killer?

It's framed as a question, a clickbait question, but wait…

quote: So, what’s the I-Pace like? In a word, gorgeous.

Granted, styling is subjective, but… Whenever I see a conventional and rather homely-looking SUV described as gorgeous, that's a red flag that I am not reading an unbiased review. But it gets better.

quote: But given its I-Pace’s looks, mileage and handling, I’d have to say that the Model X has been eclipsed in terms of the desirability factor.

And then there's this → 2019 Jaguar I-Pace Review: Tesla-Killer EV Is 2018's Best Car - ExtremeTech

quote: The Jaguar I-Pace sport crossover is a landmark vehicle: for the EV industry, for Jaguar, for enthusiast drivers, and for Elon Musk, who needs to check his rear-view mirror. Finally, someone has built a car that matches and surpasses Tesla.

quote: This is a fabulously good-looking car, cat-quick, capable of one-pedal driving when the regenerative braking mode is set to high…

Fabulously good-looking! :eek:

quote: Head-to-head against Tesla, the Jaguar I-Pace is the choice today for most premium, sporty EV buyers, especially if they want to go off-roading.

Looks pretty capable to me, but its not something I do, so maybe what I've seen isn't really off-roading? For example, the first 4 minutes of this Fully Charged video

Got to admit that looks better than the other video that I saw before. Still wish for more views from outside so we could see exactly what it was going over.

By way of comparison, here is my current off-road vehicle:

power_wagon_08.jpg

(Although I guess the diesel Jeep Grand Cherokee would be a more sensible comparison, but there's no fun in showing off pictures of that!)