Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Jebinc’s Plaid Vibration Experiment Results!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, if the CV joints have stretched and have slightly more play, under light load they could vibrate from alternating between loaded and unloaded. Under heavy load, the torque from the front motor might keep the slack in the joints pinned tightly, preventing the vibration.

If that were true, then it might indicate that a software fix is possible. The solution would be to put a little more torque on the front motor under light load, to keep the CV joints from vibrating.

Well, now, come to think of it... We could test that using track mode. Hmm. Just adjust bias between front and back motors and see if the vibration goes away. I'll have to try that later today.
I thought the front motors were still on full tilt unless you are turning in track mode, even with the bias fully to the rear

Well, if the CV joints have stretched and have slightly more play, under light load they could vibrate from alternating between loaded and unloaded. Under heavy load, the torque from the front motor might keep the slack in the joints pinned tightly, preventing the vibration.

If that were true, then it might indicate that a software fix is possible. The solution would be to put a little more torque on the front motor under light load, to keep the CV joints from vibrating.

Well, now, come to think of it... We could test that using track mode. Hmm. Just adjust bias between front and back motors and see if the vibration goes away. I'll have to try that later today.
I think the track mode bias settings are in effect only when powering out of a corner, not straight line driving.

Its a different suspension and different problem than 5 years ago... jeb, thought you were vibration free with a .7" drop. Is that not the case?
@lbowroom It is the case, but @mswlogo said links are a bandaid, one they are not interested in. Without the bandaid, one can count on developing the vibration if they are not careful, re height settings and hard acceleration.

More testing still needed on mine and I still need a volunteer to replicate my experiment.

@lbowroom It is the case, but @mswlogo said links are a bandaid, one they are not interested in. Without the bandaid, one can count on developing the vibration if they are not careful, re height settings and hard acceleration.

More testing still needed on mine and I still need a volunteer to replicate my experiment.
So if Tesla lowered the default ride height in software which is completely feasible, there's no bandaid.

I think it's important for people to understand that the previous driveline problem was addressed in the refresh. Unfortunately there seems to be a new problem. If it's simply lash in the CV joint that causes vibration when unloaded and a 1/2"-3/4" drop in the suspension mitigates it, then it's a minor problem.

Reactions: jebinc