Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Jingle noise on driver side, when hitting road ripples

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

scottm

Legacy account
Jun 13, 2014
Canada
Searching for threads on interior noises is as hard as describing the noises themselves so forgive me if this has been handled before.

Model S with several months under its belt, developed an interior noise that bothers the driver (me) the most. I think its coming from driver side of the car, interior, but I cannot even isolate it.

When cruising at speed 60MPH 100km/h ish, hitting an expansion joint or crack running across the road brings the noise out. It takes a high speed slight jarring and is otherwise silent. Hitting same cracks at slower speeds does not bring it out. Sounds like short burst of crickets chirping, or coins rattling in a pile, or a light metal chain jangling.. No, it's not coins in my pocket. It's hits my left ear, not nearly as noticeable in the right ear. It's subtle but persistent... on long trips starts to drive me nuts. Others in the car have a hard time hearing it from their seats. It's really hard to isolate because of its high frequency, low volume, brief sound. I cannot determine if it's in the door, in the B pillar, in the seat, or in the dash. If I move my head around that whole area of driver's door the sound is about equally loud. Applying hand pressure to surfaces of things (door panel, seat sides, dash components, etc) does not cancel or diminish it. Shifting my body in seat, changing seat settings, no effect. Different steer wheel position settings, no effect.

I've had the creaky seatbelt fix done with friction tape at the belt exit slot in the B pillar. That was nice. This crickets noise existed before and after that fix.

IDEAS?

I had mine look at recently for a noise in the driver door. I would describe it as something hanging loose tapping against the door when i hit a big bump. Its more noticeable when I drive fast. I brought it in and they said they are aware of the noise and lined all the rivets that may be loose, hitting the door. Well it didnt go away even though they did that. I just want to enjoy my car so i'm living with it until something else gives me a reason to use their loaner. :)

It could be something in your door. Have you had work done to the door, where they may have left screws or shims in the door?

Yes, I've had door opened for new handle mechanism install.

The sound existed prior to and after that visit.

- - - Updated - - -

Too far from a service center to just let them figure it out?

Yes, about 1400 km away from SC.

- - - Updated - - -

Has BARRY been driving your car?-------->Change falling out of my pocket

Ha! My first thought too... look for the obvious right.

I will look again for coinage on the floor hitting seat rails or something.

- - - Updated - - -

Any chance that it's this?

-- David

Thanks for the idea, and other ideas in that thread.

I will poke around listen closer to headliner / near visor.