Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just a warning to new Tesla owners!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
EVplanner was instrumental in helping me estimate the rated miles needed to drive from my home in Buckeye, AZ to Clayton, CA for a recent road trip. EVplanner.com was dead on. I added a 20% buffer to those numbers and had no worries driving 75+ MPH both ways in typical fall California weather.

Perfect example of why tesla needs to share evtripplanner.com with all new owners. Shoudld be essential. People don't realize The effects of terrain, weather speed. Etc...even though they are the same effects in gas cars, just they had more exits with gas stations than we currently do with superchargers at the moment.
Tesla needs to add elevation, speed etc... To the navigation. As More and more people that are not tesla fanatics get into the model s and x world this is going to be more and more an issue. As people are not used to planning like this. Which is very easy, but takes an effort, when it should be in the car navigation.

I completely agree. On our recent road trip to New Mexico, I looked up the elevation at each charging destination and then had an ipad running an elevation app so I could keep track of the elevation difference as well as the difference between remaining range and distance to the destination. It seems like programming the car to do this would be pretty straightforward.

Ideally the nav system would take remaining range, elevation, speed limit, temperature, etc. into account and then display an estimate of the range that will be left at the destination if you maintain the current speed ratio and the current climate control power usage. That's always the number I'm most interested in.

I was keeping my average watts per mile near 100!

Pretty unbelievable if you were on level ground, but if you were on a downhill stretch I guess I can believe you :)

Lowest I ever got my P85 to during a zero-range emergency was 207Wh/mile. That was driving on level ground at 30mph with super-gentle acceleration, air conditioning off and the windows UP during 90 degree weather. Not pleasant!

If you're in a rural area you are probably at more risk, but don't forget that you can actually charge your car anywhere there is electricity. I had been driving for a while with "zero" miles of charge left, and still had about 5.5 miles left to drive on my journey, I decided to pull over at a strip mall that had external 110V power sockets all over the place, probably spec'd to power maintenance equipment. I plugged in and waited until the range meter rose to "1" (took about 25min). Then I drove on and got home OK.

Over a year ago, we were coming home from Portland and had a rear blow out. Had to be towed back to the Portland service center. Lost 60 miles of charge. Stopped at Three Feathers to charge using the Roadster charger. Left to early. With the cold and mountainous route to CA from Three Feathers, we were 28 miles from the hotel with 14 miles in the battery at 2:00 am in the pitch dark. Slowed to 25 mph, in the emergency lane with flashers, made it to the hotel with 1 mile to spare. The freeway was down to one lane the whole way and luckily it was a week day. 18 wheelers passing by at 70+ was a little shaky.

Why Tesla hasn't straight HIRED Ben, the young programmer of EVtripper.com yet, I have no idea.

Hear, hear!

Let Ben sign an NDA, give him the API for the MS and let him create a useful app for our cars! An integrated App that predicted rated miles to destination with current conditions and usage would be wonderful. If he did that, I would welcome the PayPal button to contribute to his college tuition.

The cold saps out a lot of energy at high speed from air cooling the battery. Range mode from the begining of a trip avoids wasting energy warming the battery. The cost is lack of gut retching acceleration. The interior temp controls can be overridden. Range mode is especially helpful when doing multiple short trips around town over long hours where the battery cools off. All winter I estimate at least 50% extra needed miles to avoid anxiety and battery damage which is a lot worse at 0% charge than 100% charge.

...I would highly recommend leaving Range mode on from the start on long trips...

Absolutely. Makes a big difference over the distance. I actually leave it on pretty much all the time.
No more knucklebiters for me, but I think we all have that One story to tell... Third winter coming up, and I am still amazed at the increase in power usage as it gets cold out there.
That said, a little planning and zoooom no problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
In addition to what others have mentioned, when going on a trip, you're often carrying more than you are around town so adding a few psi to the tires is helpful. Also cold weather shrinks the air so you need to compensate for that too. Make a big difference in range.

Hear, hear!

Let Ben sign an NDA, give him the API for the MS and let him create a useful app for our cars! An integrated App that predicted rated miles to destination with current conditions and usage would be wonderful. If he did that, I would welcome the PayPal button to contribute to his college tuition.

This sounds like a great plan to me - then EVPlanner's IP can be the heart of the integrated Navigation update I proposed earlier - and Ben has a way to pay for college and a good plan for after college, too. :)
Walter

Sorry about the lack of paragraphing - My PHD of English grandmother would have rolled over in her grave! I was emotionally drained after the trip. Thanks for all the comments. The funny thing is I have driven that stretch of road literally hundreds of times. Just not in an EV car.

Also, everyone giving me a hard time about drafting - I wasn't Nascar close. I was still 20-30 feet behind the specifically chosen 3 trailer semi truck. The real only reason I made it. is that 85% of the final 14 miles is a slight downgrade. It's really funny because I am usually the one that adds WAY more than necessary - I was just trying to hurry to see my son prior to bedtime.

Life is full of lessons. This one didn't cost much more than a little humility and some time and a few cold chills.

Happy safe driving to all of you!

CR

Also for the "nay sayers" here is the pic while I was charging of the last little run on the way to the supercharger. Here comes all the critics of my driving prior to the 100wMI - to which I say it's mountainous terrain!
beaversmall.jpg

Related: I just went to the link recommended in this post for the EVTripPlanner and while the homepage loads, the actual planner gives a 404 error. As luck would have it, I am driving from Seattle to Portland this afternoon and this is my first time needing to range plan and the recommended site does not work — lucky me :)

OP: Glad you made it!

Related: I just went to the link recommended in this post for the EVTripPlanner and while the homepage loads, the actual planner gives a 404 error. As luck would have it, I am driving from Seattle to Portland this afternoon and this is my first time needing to range plan and the recommended site does not work — lucky me :)

Which browser are you using?

crap. looks like his server either crashed or was restarted and the https site is not coming up. the non-tls site comes up with the default, Centos/Apache page.

If you look over here:

Evtripplanner is down for a day or so...sorry

He reported that his "unlimited" website service shut him down for having too many visitors, and the site got somewhat mangled transferring it, but he hopes to have it back in a day or two.
Walter