Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just pre-ordered a Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
do you guys think it's worth it to get FSD now, ahead of the $1,000 price increase on Nov. 1? Just trying to see how much FSD will improve in the next 2-3 years' time. is it worth $7,900 CAD? I wonder if Tesla will drop the price for those seeking the upgrade after the fact...or if they will continue to raise the price.

FSD in Canada doesn't seem that impressive so far...but who knows what the future will hold

Reactions: Arctic_White
The model 3 rollout was completely jacked up. Cars were not distributed in a reservation based fashion. The understanding when you rush to put down a deposit is that the deposit buys you a spot in line. Instead the model 3 rolled out, first geographically, (closer to Freemont first), moving east. And then, even within a region, the cars appeared to be delivered in a somewhat random order, based primarily on the price of the car. The higher the price, the sooner you got your car. Finally, they would match orders to whatever they were currently building. So if you happened to order a car that they had just built, or could easily build more of because that was what they were currently making, you would get your car before someone who had a reservation for 2 years, but did not match that specification. This caused many people to be upset. Will this happen again? We don't know. What Tesla did, makes sense from a manufacturer position of getting the most cars out in the shortest period of time. But if you are a reservation holder for years, and they blow right past your reservation, I would have been quite pissed to.

The model 3 rollout was completely jacked up. Cars were not distributed in a reservation based fashion. The understanding when you rush to put down a deposit is that the deposit buys you a spot in line. Instead the model 3 rolled out, first geographically, (closer to Freemont first), moving east. And then, even within a region, the cars appeared to be delivered in a somewhat random order, based primarily on the price of the car. The higher the price, the sooner you got your car. Finally, they would match orders to whatever they were currently building. So if you happened to order a car that they had just built, or could easily build more of because that was what they were currently making, you would get your car before someone who had a reservation for 2 years, but did not match that specification. This caused many people to be upset. Will this happen again? We don't know. What Tesla did, makes sense from a manufacturer position of getting the most cars out in the shortest period of time. But if you are a reservation holder for years, and they blow right past your reservation, I would have been quite pissed to.
I think that youdescribe a logistic conflict between:
- Production line in batch of same body color, interior style, power train, batteries size, wheels type... to optimize production.
- Delivery diversity, to provide a panachage mixt of colors, versions, and options at a given location.
It seems that oversea customers experience even more frustration, by not be able to know their delivery date until the last minute or so.

First come first served would be a logistical nightmare. The model Y rollout will be similar to the 3. Tesla doesn't make people happy pre-delivery. Between order and delivery should be viewed as the S&M aspect of the Tesla experience.

These comments are confusing. Does it mean that if i order the model Y now, I won't get it before anybody who orders later?

On average you will get the car sooner if you order sooner. If you don't like the uncertainty wait until they have inventory Ys in 2022.

• Funny
Reactions: vickh
Just to level set as well, this is how Tesla has always done it, from the first Model S orders, all the way thru the 3's. Its nothing new, just more aggravating for those who are used to just getting a car off the lot or ordering one from the typical manufacturers who can usually find what you are looking for somewhere in the already produced fleet of cars located in lots and dealerships around the country. Early on in the model production runs Tesla doesn't have stock sitting around, each car is spoken for so the most efficient thing to do then is produce the cars in batches of very similar trim in order to get them thru production and inspection as fast as possible.

Reactions: Dan Detweiler
First come first served would be a logistical nightmare. The model Y rollout will be similar to the 3. Tesla doesn't make people happy pre-delivery. Between order and delivery should be viewed as the S&M aspect of the Tesla experience.

On average you will get the car sooner if you order sooner. If you don't like the uncertainty wait until they have inventory Ys in 2022.

What if you're not into S&M ;)

2022 really? Maybe for the SR Y...

• Funny
I think the issue was more around expectations than reality. I completely agree that Tesla has always done this, and it makes sense and I expect it to happen again. The question I was answering was about how placing a pre-order will effect your delivery date. I think the answer is only moderately. The best was
On average you will get the car sooner if you order sooner.

The original model 3 pre-order had lots of options, including the premium package. Many of those things have been bundled into the long range variant. So the only real options you need to choose that effects building the vehicle is Dual Motor and paint color. It will be interesting to see if they push out the performance variant first, or the standard dual motor first.

Reactions: rathjebaxter
Getting back to the FSD question. It is my firm belief that two things regarding FSD will happen within a year.

1) FSD will be feature complete. That doesn't mean it will be legal in every jurisdiction. Nor does it mean that it will be perfect. As we've seen with other Tesla tech, it will be functional with driver diligence still required. But it will improve quickly.

2) The cost for said system will be at least twice what it is now. As these features become reality the demand will go through the roof.

Now, these of course are just my opinions but I have seen and heard too much, let alone my personal observations with my Model 3 over the last year, to not see these two things happening.

Order as you see fit, but it is my belief that FSD will NEVER be cheaper and it will come to fruition much sooner than many expect.

Dan

Getting back to the FSD question. It is my firm belief that two things regarding FSD will happen within a year.

1) FSD will be feature complete. That doesn't mean it will be legal in every jurisdiction. Nor does it mean that it will be perfect. As we've seen with other Tesla tech, it will be functional with driver diligence still required. But it will improve quickly.

2) The cost for said system will be at least twice what it is now. As these features become reality the demand will go through the roof.

Now, these of course are just my opinions but I have seen and heard too much, let alone my personal observations with my Model 3 over the last year, to not see these two things happening.

Order as you see fit, but it is my belief that FSD will NEVER be cheaper and it will come to fruition much sooner than many expect.

Dan

Thanks for the great post Dan. I'm leaning toward putting my pre-order in today or tomorrow. I agree with your opinion that by the time a MY pre-ordered now is actually delivered the price of FSD will be up to 10K or more.

I've given the Pre-Order Agreement a close read. It don't believe it says explicitly that price increases to FSD coming after a pre-order payment is made will not increase the final price to purchase the car, but strongly implies that.

"Until your pre-order is matched to a vehicle, you may make changes to your Vehicle Configuration. If you make changes to your Vehicle Configuration, you may be subject to potential price increases for any pricing adjustments made since your original Pre-Order Date.
Any changes made by you to your Vehicle Configuration, including changes to the delivery location or estimated delivery date, will be reflected in a subsequent Vehicle Configuration that will form part of this Agreement."

I'm not a contract lawyer (though during my IT career I had occasion to participate with company attorneys in contract negotiations with software vendors). Do you believe this section, which says if you make any change to your VC after your pre-order date, you may not get the original cost for options you selected if they increased, legally means that if you do not change your VC before purchase, you will not be required to pay such price increases? Non lawyers would assume this to be the case, but in contract law conventional logic and common sense may not apply!

I find the last sentence quite confusing. It seems to suggest that delivery location is part of the VC, but when we create our pre-order VC we don't set a delivery location nor an estimated delivery date! And that such changes trigger creation of a new VC that will replace the original VC for the purposes of the Agreement. There is lots of ambiguity here IMO. One thing I believe it may leave open is if Tesla gives you a delivery date and for whatever reason you want to defer the purchase by some number of weeks or months, they can say "sure, that's fine. But your FSD price is going to rise to whatever they have set at purchase date."

I'm interested to hear anyone's thoughts on how to interpret this legalese. Especially anyone practicing contract law!
Please don't mistake what I'm saying to meanTesla is certain to enforce these conditions in some or all situations. Just that they may have a legal right to do so if they choose.

Thanks for the great post Dan. I'm leaning toward putting my pre-order in today or tomorrow. I agree with your opinion that by the time a MY pre-ordered now is actually delivered the price of FSD will be up to 10K or more.

I've given the Pre-Order Agreement a close read. It don't believe it says explicitly that price increases to FSD coming after a pre-order payment is made will not increase the final price to purchase the car, but strongly implies that.

"Until your pre-order is matched to a vehicle, you may make changes to your Vehicle Configuration. If you make changes to your Vehicle Configuration, you may be subject to potential price increases for any pricing adjustments made since your original Pre-Order Date.
Any changes made by you to your Vehicle Configuration, including changes to the delivery location or estimated delivery date, will be reflected in a subsequent Vehicle Configuration that will form part of this Agreement."

I'm not a contract lawyer (though during my IT career I had occasion to participate with company attorneys in contract negotiations with software vendors). Do you believe this section, which says if you make any change to your VC after your pre-order date, you may not get the original cost for options you selected if they increased, legally means that if you do not change your VC before purchase, you will not be required to pay such price increases? Non lawyers would assume this to be the case, but in contract law conventional logic and common sense may not apply!

I find the last sentence quite confusing. It seems to suggest that delivery location is part of the VC, but when we create our pre-order VC we don't set a delivery location nor an estimated delivery date! And that such changes trigger creation of a new VC that will replace the original VC for the purposes of the Agreement. There is lots of ambiguity here IMO. One thing I believe it may leave open is if Tesla gives you a delivery date and for whatever reason you want to defer the purchase by some number of weeks or months, they can say "sure, that's fine. But your FSD price is going to rise to whatever they have set at purchase date."

I'm interested to hear anyone's thoughts on how to interpret this legalese. Especially anyone practicing contract law!
Please don't mistake what I'm saying to meanTesla is certain to enforce these conditions in some or all situations. Just that they may have a legal right to do so if they choose.
Nobody knows for sure that I know of. All we can do is go by past vehicle releases. In the past Tesla has honored prices on options for cars reserved prior to a price increase. The wording does seem to leave the door open however. All I know is that if I don't have an order in place and the price goes up I am 100% guaranteed that I won't get the cheaper price. With an order in place, at least I have a chance (and I think a very good chance) that Tesla will honor my price that was quoted at the time I placed my order.

Dan

Nobody knows for sure that I know of. All we can do is go by past vehicle releases. In the past Tesla has honored prices on options for cars reserved prior to a price increase. The wording does seem to leave the door open however. All I know is that if I don't have an order in place and the price goes up I am 100% guaranteed that I won't get the cheaper price. With an order in place, at least I have a chance (and I think a very good chance) that Tesla will honor my price that was quoted at the time I placed my order.
Dan

Exactly where I've landed. Ideally I want a P. So best to pre-order that variant. When the time comes to buy, the prospect of losing the cheaper FSD should keep me from backsliding to LR AWD even if the extra dough for the P stings some. :p

do you guys think it's worth it to get FSD now, ahead of the $1,000 price increase on Nov. 1? Just trying to see how much FSD will improve in the next 2-3 years' time. is it worth $7,900 CAD? I wonder if Tesla will drop the price for those seeking the upgrade after the fact...or if they will continue to raise the price.

FSD in Canada doesn't seem that impressive so far...but who knows what the future will hold

you answer those questions yourself as much as we all can

What did I do?! Lol...got white long range in white RWD...had to plunk down $3200 CAD, don't tell my wife. Wonder when these will actually ship to Canada.

After reading an article that said the tTesla would cancel refundable deposits, and raise prices, I pulled the trigger! Model Y, RWD, red exterior, black interior. Now the waiting begins. Saw the article that said production will start in the spring rather than the fall Yea:
JK

• Love
Reactions: is95aus
People driving with FSD are very brave. There are numerous bugs in the software which are potentially very dangerous. How can you entrust your life to it?
Have you used the current revision? We are not up to FSD yet. When I travel, it is 90% plus on "auto pilot". "Navigate on Autopilot" can be a little buggy, but it is much better than driving without assistance. It allows relaxed driving. Even with the bugs it is much safer than driving without. I would prefer fewer nags.

People driving with FSD are very brave. There are numerous bugs in the software which are potentially very dangerous. How can you entrust your life to it?

I do not believe that Elon will release FSD with dangerous bugs. Yes you cannot catch them all prior to release, but if it’s all based off EAP, I think we are pretty safe. I feel by the time the Y hits the streets, FSD will be a lot better than it is now. However, I do not see full FSD on the horizon anytime soon. As PJ said above, it helps make driving so much more relaxed.

Easy...because it has saved my ass 4 times, seeing and reacting to things and situations I never would have been aware of. It makes me a much, MUCH safer driver. I entrust my life to it because without it, my life (and the lives of my family) are in much more danger.

Dan