Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just sold my Model Y - Parting thoughts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just sold my Model Y to Driveo. Great price BTW - 62,500 for a May Build 2021 Model Y with 20" wheels. It was a quick and smooth experience.

Since this was my first Tesla, I thought I'd share some thoughts on the car having owned it for almost 7 months.

Highs:
1) Powertrain. Power deliver was very impressive - especially given this was the LR and not the Performance model.
2) Phone Key. I love the phone key. It is so simple and I don't know why every OEM doesn't implement it in the same way. This is one of those things other companies over complicate.
3) Some other cool nuggets in software - I like the built-in streaming services, the ability to open and close garage door based on proximity, the simple and intuitive user profiles and the way you set them up.
4) Space. The Model Y is extremely well packaged with lots of interior space and lots of storage. It's really amazing.
5) Value. At the $52k price this car sold for new, it was untouchable in terms of value.
6) 5 standard heated seats and heated steering wheel. This was very impressive to me and is one of the things that makes Tesla appealing on the used market. You don't need to worry if it has this or doesn't have it depending on how it was specced.
7) Impressive resale value.

712B4324-9010-4DD8-B466-44CA82E37D10.jpeg

Lows:
1) Rigidity. The car did not feel very rigid. You could sense a the chassis flex every time you drive. It felt cheaply built compared with a German car. They went with style over engineering. I would prefer a more rigid car than an uninterrupted glass roof.
2) Rough suspension. The suspension on the Model Y is pretty poor. You feel everything. I know some will say it is because I got the 20" wheels. However a lot of cars have 20" wheels with low profile tires and don't have this issue. This is one area they should have done a better job.
3) Autopilot. I like the Autopilot, but I also hate it. I regularly found myself in situations where it would tell me auto steering is disabled for the rest of the drive. I've never experienced that with any other brand.
4) Extreme minimalism. No roof blind or blackout function. No instrument cluster. Cheap doorhandles. No ambient lighting. Lack of physical buttons and switches to an extreme.
5) Range falls short of EPA estimates.

Overall I would say I leave Tesla with a positive impression of the brand, but I also feel there are a few areas they badly need to address if they want to stay leaders in this segment. The lows I described above will be important to address as the competition catches up in other aspects.

Well, the way things are going the board either needs to dump Elon or make him shut up or you’ll have to extend the duration of your game.
Possibly granted most would view it as a market thing vs an individual element. Last I checked Rivian, Lucid, Amazon and all have dropped 50 plus percent. As a company Tesla is beyond profitable with a mass of new product growth. Guess time will tell.

I just sold my Model Y to Driveo. Great price BTW - 62,500 for a May Build 2021 Model Y with 20" wheels. It was a quick and smooth experience.

Since this was my first Tesla, I thought I'd share some thoughts on the car having owned it for almost 7 months.

Highs:
1) Powertrain. Power deliver was very impressive - especially given this was the LR and not the Performance model.
2) Phone Key. I love the phone key. It is so simple and I don't know why every OEM doesn't implement it in the same way. This is one of those things other companies over complicate.
3) Some other cool nuggets in software - I like the built-in streaming services, the ability to open and close garage door based on proximity, the simple and intuitive user profiles and the way you set them up.
4) Space. The Model Y is extremely well packaged with lots of interior space and lots of storage. It's really amazing.
5) Value. At the $52k price this car sold for new, it was untouchable in terms of value.
6) 5 standard heated seats and heated steering wheel. This was very impressive to me and is one of the things that makes Tesla appealing on the used market. You don't need to worry if it has this or doesn't have it depending on how it was specced.
7) Impressive resale value.

Lows:
1) Rigidity. The car did not feel very rigid. You could sense a the chassis flex every time you drive. It felt cheaply built compared with a German car. They went with style over engineering. I would prefer a more rigid car than an uninterrupted glass roof.
2) Rough suspension. The suspension on the Model Y is pretty poor. You feel everything. I know some will say it is because I got the 20" wheels. However a lot of cars have 20" wheels with low profile tires and don't have this issue. This is one area they should have done a better job.
3) Autopilot. I like the Autopilot, but I also hate it. I regularly found myself in situations where it would tell me auto steering is disabled for the rest of the drive. I've never experienced that with any other brand.
4) Extreme minimalism. No roof blind or blackout function. No instrument cluster. Cheap doorhandles. No ambient lighting. Lack of physical buttons and switches to an extreme.
5) Range falls short of EPA estimates.

Overall I would say I leave Tesla with a positive impression of the brand, but I also feel there are a few areas they badly need to address if they want to stay leaders in this segment. The lows I described above will be important to address as the competition catches up in other aspects.
Why did you sell? What did you get in replacement?

Possibly granted most would view it as a market thing vs an individual element. Last I checked Rivian, Lucid, Amazon and all have dropped 50 plus percent. As a company Tesla is beyond profitable with a mass of new product growth. Guess time will tell.
Tesla has a lot of issues though. The EV space no longer belongs to Tesla, their market share continues to shrink and competition has never been stronger. Demand in China is dropping and there are early signs here demand may be softening too. Throw in a likely recession, demand for vehicles in general dropping, and big controversy involving Elon, feel free to set your money on fire… wonder when it will break below 100 a share lol

Reactions: sleepydoc

tesla-market-share-2022q2.png
tesla-vehicle-delivery-growth-ttm-q4-2021.png

Planned-Global-Production-Volume-of-Battery-Electric-Vehicles-millions-1.png
Lies, damned lies and statistics.

Are you looking at Tesla share of total auto sales, total Tesla sales, or Tesla’s share of EV sales?

EV sales have increased dramatically in the past few years. 5 years ago you had a choice of about 3 different EVs. Now there are over 30 so Tesla’s share has naturally decreased. Everyone has been supply constrained and other manufacturers are further back in the development curve so they’ll be ramping up.

How do you interpret all that? Well, you can probably find statistics to support any view you want.

Elon has been basically warning everyone of slowing sales, bad auto loans, and a recession all on Twitter. He's basically pre-announcing bad news. The fact they had to discount Model 3 / Y cars in December was a huge sign.
Yep even more discounts announced:

Stock down to 126

Tesla has a lot of issues though. The EV space no longer belongs to Tesla, their market share continues to shrink and competition has never been stronger. Demand in China is dropping and there are early signs here demand may be softening too. Throw in a likely recession, demand for vehicles in general dropping, and big controversy involving Elon, feel free to set your money on fire… wonder when it will break below 100 a share lol

Hmmm, seems like my money is on fire but not the way your doomsday view projected. Lol

Reactions: nate704
You do realize the manufacturers run the test, in conformance with EPA specifications regarding test composition...right?

So when you say "Tesla doesn't set the range" , that's a half truth. They do the test, they provide the results. Why do other manufacturers conducting tests in accordance with EPA guidelines regularly meet or beat them?

That is interesting; the marking your own homework and may explains how we were tricked by the declarations of diesel particulate and general pollution generated by VW et al.
Of course, I have never expected(and therefore was never disappointed) the quoted mph figures for any car I have owned to be accurate. As with EV miles per kWh, there are so many variables affecting "real world" results. I use the Tessie app which, among other handy data, analysises each drive and provides often pleasantly surprising but equally, sometimes disappointing, results.

tesla-market-share-2022q2.png
tesla-vehicle-delivery-growth-ttm-q4-2021.png

Planned-Global-Production-Volume-of-Battery-Electric-Vehicles-millions-1.png

I guess things aren’t that bad for Tesla after all.

Don't worry, I still have my sense of humor and of course we shall see what it's like, but an EV Camper Trip is what I've waited my whole life for! Old hippy is about right.

On VAG Vs Tesla... well if you'd owned my 2018 P3D with all the delights of CV_FRONT errors, 12v failures, charging plug failure and most recently a brake failure (but but but they last forever because of regen) and put that against the anecdotal experience of over 300k miles of driving in my life, almost exclusively in VW's and never once had a breakdown, you might think differently. But none of them were EV's, 'tis true m'laud.

Objectively I think a Model Y is better in most (important) respects than an ID4 and if a complete stranger asked me, I'd tell them to get a Tesla. But the heart wants what the heart wants, and Teslas are not prefect, despite what you might think if you only got your news from Teslerati.

Also after 25 years of frequenting VW message boards (and Porsche forums) I never experienced the level of mockery and toxicity you see here. It's really unfortunate.
Yes the level of negativity and mockery and contempt here is beyond anything I’ve seen other than sports forums where you sort of expect it. For a group that is hoping to change the world the membership is often very offputti g. The worst is the investment section- truly echo chamber or ban.

I totally agree about the investment forum. One tries to share reasonable suggestions and is ushered out the door with thumbs down.
They all must be brokers at heart, echoing, "you can't beat the market."
Let the trolls feed each other. I would much rather spend my time managing and counting my profits.

• Funny
Reactions: SO16