Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Keep 2016.5 90D or move to 2023 LR?

Keep 2016.5 90D or move to 2023 LR?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello Hive Mind,

So: I have a 2016.5 (refresh, but still AP1) Model S with sunroof, rear jump seats, basic audio, and basic suspension. Includes free unlimited supercharging. Love it.

But…

Sat in a ‘23 Model S at my SC over the weekend and… wow.

Blink reaction: Keep my gal or upgrade?!

Hello Hive Mind,

So: I have a 2016.5 (refresh, but still AP1) Model S with sunroof, rear jump seats, basic audio, and basic suspension. Includes free unlimited supercharging. Love it.

But…

If you like new gadgets and warranty, then a new car is for you.

Be aware that new Teslas without radar and sonars don't behave the same way as your good old AP1. AP1 is rock solid with hardly any phantom brakes.

Reactions: Jumper
Hello Hive Mind,

But…

I have the same car as well and would love to upgrade to a new S for a couple of reasons
  1. It's quieter
  2. More "luxurious"
  3. Warranty
  4. Faster
  5. Charges a lot faster
  6. Much better range
  7. Will get significantly more updates
  8. Sentry mode
  9. Much better stereo
  10. Better suspension
  11. Much faster MCU with more vibrant colors
  12. Looks much better with the wider bumpers and wider tires
But "luckily" my wallet can't swing it, so I can't get one. End of story 😀

Last edited:
If free supercharging is important to you (and if you place an order today and it still says 'delivery Dec 2023' then I'd consider a new car. Price is low right now and if you like the upgrades, might be worth it. Of course there is always another refresh or feature around the corner that you might miss though. So I'd only get it now if Supercharging transfer is still possible and important to you.

But you also lose center horn and end up with the lack of turn signal stalk and gear selector. Major downside for me at least.

Last edited:
To be fair, a list of what you lose in moving to the current version of the Model S:

1. Real leather seats - unclear how the leatherette will hold up over time
2. Sun roof
3. Stalks on Steering Wheel for "eyes remain on the road" operation
4. Better screen set-up (portrait) for navigation - you will gain better movie and game display
5. Ultra-sound sensors and thus reasonably working parking assist
6. Working rain-sensing wipers (only got worse post AP1)
7. AP1 Autopilot functionality - you either spend additional money on "Advanced Autopilot" or have less functionality than before
8. A lot of cash! 😉

if the cost of new isn't an issue, it's a no-brainer since FUSC will transfer... the new S's are a huge leap forward in every way... can't believe someone said the leather seats in a 2016 are better... those old seats were a disaster - even Elon made fun of those early seats (recently).. here's the quote:
“The early Model S’s probably had the worst seat of any car I ever sat in,” Musk said.

if the cost of new isn't an issue, it's a no-brainer since FUSC will transfer... the new S's are a huge leap forward in every way... can't believe someone said the leather seats in a 2016 are better... those old seats were a disaster - even Elon made fun of those early seats (recently).. here's the quote:
“The early Model S’s probably had the worst seat of any car I ever sat in,” Musk said.
Depends on whether it has the gen 1 seats or the "next gen" seats... Next gen are quite comfortable. I think "next gen" were introduced around 2016 but I am not too sure.

Gen 1 were indeed pretty dismal.

Reactions: gaswalla
2015 P90DL owner here. Test drove a Plaid a few days ago. Went back the next day for another test drive.

Ordered one that day.

I have to say AP1 is fine on highways, just not as steady in the center as before during highway turns.

Things I noticed that were much better than my 2015.
Interior is loads better. Fit an finish look proper with the new lines around the horizontal screen.
Much better A/C
MCU is ridiculous smooth and clearer compared to my MCU1 by a factor of 10x
FSD was fun to experience. Especially coming from AP1, we ordered EAP. I will upgrade eventually to FSD just didn't feel like dropping another 6k
Freaking quick, wow.
Love the sightlines with yoke steering wheel.

If money isn't an issue and you want a significant upgrade in range, luxury, and quickness, go with a new one

Reactions: SilverGS
Because Elon didn't want to pay an extra hundred bucks for useful sensors
You realize that it costs millions and millions of $ to hire multiple teams of incredibly smart software engineers that are specialized in enterprise class software engineering/development whose "only" job is the software technology in every Tesla?

Yeah, that's cutting cost for sure.

• Funny
Reactions: terranx
You realize that it costs millions and millions of $ to hire multiple teams of incredibly smart software engineers that are specialized in enterprise class software engineering/development whose "only" job is the software technology in every Tesla?

Yeah, that's cutting cost for sure.
Those engineers were already employed by Tesla working on other projects. They were directed to make this implementation and just quickly hacked together the shittiest possible parking and driver assist systems

Those engineers were already employed by Tesla working on other projects. They were directed to make this implementation and just quickly hacked together the shittiest possible parking and driver assist systems
All I'm pointing out is that it costs a crap load of $ for the enterprise class software in Teslas in general. So I can't see how removing a sensor is cost cutting.

All I'm pointing out is that it costs a crap load of $ for the enterprise class software in Teslas in general. So I can't see how removing a sensor is cost cutting.
Because divided by the size of the fleet the software is still quite cheap. Tesla is also known to underpay its engineers compared to other big tech companies