Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Keep cabin overheat protection on permanently

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

GeeBee

Aug 12, 2022
UK
I am abroad for several weeks and have left my M3 plugged in, with charge set to 50%. When I check the app the interior is regularly showing temps of 65c and over.

Cabin overheat is turned on but only lasts for 12hrs. Is there a way to keep it permanently on, so I don’t have to keep manually cooling the interior from the app (when I remember)?

Should I just leave Dog Mode on?

Reactions: Rocky_H
Dog mode will run the AC much more to keep ~72F / 20C, and will never let the car sleep. I think some people have figured out a way but it requires that you call the Tesla API. Some sequence of events resets the timer. Driving the car obviously does but there just be something else you can do remotely. Hopefully someone else fills in here.

I am abroad for several weeks and have left my M3 plugged in, with charge set to 50%. When I check the app the interior is regularly showing temps of 65c and over.

Cabin overheat is turned on but only lasts for 12hrs. Is there a way to keep it permanently on, so I don’t have to keep manually cooling the interior from the app (when I remember)?

Should I just leave Dog Mode on?
Every 12 hours, turn on climate for a couple minutes, then turn off. It is supposed to reset the clock…..until battery reaches 20%, then nothing works.

Ah, there you go. That's something you can do from the API since it's doable by the mobile app. If you're a programmer you can automate it. Otherwise you might be able to use the scheduling functionality of web apps like TeslaFi.
I do also question why you would really want to do this, but it's possible...

When I check the app the interior is regularly showing temps of 65c and over.
Yeah, that's something I've thought of too, and I would like the same thing. I noticed a lot of the responses you are getting here either don't understand or are unhelpful.
There is no reason whatsoever to keep the cabin cool.
Yes there is.
All it does is waste energy.
Not exactly wasting--there's a purpose. But it's plugged in, so it wouldn't be draining the battery down.
until battery reaches 20%,
It's plugged in, so that won't happen.
I do also question why you would really want to do this,
OK so now to respond to all of these people telling someone there's no reason to do this. Yes there is. First off, it's not to keep the cabin "cool". It's to keep the cabin from being insanely, ridiculously hot! Do any of you remember the issues on the Model S and X with the glue in the touch screens melting and dripping out and the cover delaminating from the screens underneath? Haven't any of you ever had a car that gets older, and the intense heat inside causes aging and cracking of the materials inside like the dashboard or seats? 65 degrees C is about 150 degrees Fahrenheit!! I also would prefer to not have the materials in my car's cabin bake in a broiler like that.

1660315895381.png

Some people have gotten the idea that it's essential otherwise the car will destroy itself. That is not what we're saying here, we agree it's not essential, but since the feature is already there, it could easily be adapted to be used for other purposes. Since then they've added dog mode, keep climate on and camp mode anyway...

Reactions: Rocky_H
Do any of you remember the issues on the Model S and X with the glue in the touch screens melting and dripping out and the cover delaminating from the screens underneath? Haven't any of you ever had a car that gets older, and the intense heat inside causes aging and cracking of the materials inside like the dashboard or seats?
The stuff inside of a vehicle, particularly one with a glass roof, should be designed to tolerate. If it's not, then quality control didn't do their jobs.

That said, if OP doesn't want the vehicle getting hot, he or she should stop parking in the sun while going abroad. I'm pretty sure my vehicle's temperature never exceeded 40C while I was away.

I'd like to see an option where when the vehicle is plugged in and at the charge limit things like sentry and overheat protection will just run continuously
I thought the whole point of driving an EV was to consume less energy for transportation and help the environment? I left Sentry running while I was parked at the airport (and plugged into a EVSE there) and it seemed to be consuming about 4-5 kWh/day. That's enough energy to drive 15-20 miles, every day, for a car that's just standing still! And running the HVAC would probably be an order of magnitude worse than just Sentry Mode.

I find this whole situation Tesla created a little funny. I think it was a good idea and it probably has saved someone's child since it's been around. Its also probably just a good idea for comfort if someone does short trips in and out of the vehicle. Let's the car cool down quicker. But....

It's probably a bad idea to have a car everyone keeps plugged in with the AC running though when they aren't even using it for a week. That sounds like we might be going backwards on energy use a little lol.

The seats aren't even real leather they won't dry out. They don't need moisturizer and are actually highly susceptible to damage from body oil and lotion damage. The CPU is liquid cooled in the same system loop as the HV battery (which is always cooled). So it does not matter what the temperature is inside the car for the CPU. It's cooled from outside radiator. The LCD panel is rated to 95c.

You ever see how Tesla parks it's own vehicles long term? They pretty much come pre cooked.

tesla-model-3-inventory-fremont-factory-drone-aerial-7-e1530486963913.jpg

I thought the whole point of driving an EV was to consume less energy for transportation and help the environment? I left Sentry running while I was parked at the airport (and plugged into a EVSE there) and it seemed to be consuming about 4-5 kWh/day. That's enough energy to drive 15-20 miles, every day, for a car that's just standing still! And running the HVAC would probably be an order of magnitude worse than just Sentry Mode.

People have different reasons. What if the car is getting electricity from solar or wind?

I bought an EV because I despise the oil industry and hate going to gas stations. I love the convenience of charging in my garage.

If you really want to help the environment you shouldn't be driving any kind of car. The construction and maintenance of roads is horrible.

We have the ability to produce more electricity than we currently know how to consume, entirely from renewable non-poluting sources. The idea of being "energy efficient" could be abandoned.