Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Keep cabin overheat protection on permanently

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd also add to what @jjrandorin posted... pretty much all of us who own, or are contemplating owning, a Tesla live in societies in which our individual carbon footprint is, relatively speaking, huge. Critiquing the "wasted" energy use of something like Sentry Mode or Cabin Overheat Protection is fine. But when that critique comes from someone living in a <fill-in-the-blank> square foot home, a home that uses prodigious amounts of electricity and water, who's "other" car is an ICE SUV, and is often found commuting to work with, count 'em, all of one person in the vehicle... it kinda begs for perspective.

Said differently, if you live in a tent and commute to work on a bicycle, you probably have the moral high ground from which to lecture. For the rest of us, not so much.
Perspective is indeed important. All of us should minimize our footprint in this regard. Developed society lifestyles are definitely hugely wasteful on numerous fronts, but again, back to that perspective - as the rest of the world literally bakes in a warming planet, it’s hard to imagine something more needlessly wasteful and tone deaf than air conditioning an empty space.

Roger that. Except that people do it all the time. It's called "central air conditioning."
My thermostat is programmed to shut off the HVAC when I'm not home.
You leave your air conditioner on when you’re not in the house for “several weeks” at a time?
Some people seem to think that only heating or air conditioning rooms they're actively using saves a lot of energy, but unless you have insulation in your interior walls, it really doesn't save that much energy. For heating, it's really bad because these types of people tend to use electric space heaters which operate at a thermal efficiency of whatever the power plant was, minus transmission losses, instead of using a central heat pump or furnace, which is much more efficient.

You leave your air conditioner on when you’re not in the house for “several weeks” at a time?

Actually, I don't have central air. But, no, I was referring to people cooling (and heating) the rooms in their home when they are, in fact, there. The bedroom you sleep in, but then sits empty and vacant for the next 16 hours. The guest room. The dining room which gets used a handful of times a year when family comes over. Even rooms like the kitchen and bathroom(s) which see frequent use, are typically used episodically and spend most of day not being used.

My larger point is that most people in western societies are incredibly wasteful of energy. And when those same people complain about the energy waste from something like Sentry Mode or Cabin Overheat Protection, they've lost the script.

• Love
Reactions: Rocky_H
You are attributing to heat what is actually almost universally caused by UV exposure.
I agree with this. It is well known that UV does tremendous damage to synthetic plastic materials, but plastics are usually quite resistant to heat. While all glass has some degree of UV protection, only the front windshield and roof glass are blocking 99% of UV. Side windows are not regulated for UV protection and may result in accumulated UV damage over time. Cabin overheat protection cannot protect against any UV damage because it only regulates the temperature. In my opinion, parking in shade, sunshades, or tint would all be more useful for protecting the car's interior. As for other cars, obviously dry heat damages leather but this is not a concern on the Model 3.

My larger point is that most people in western societies are incredibly wasteful of energy. And when those same people complain about the energy waste from something like Sentry Mode or Cabin Overheat Protection, they've lost the script.
I disagree that American home HVAC usage is analogous to COP. There are lots of circumstances where setback would increase overall energy usage. More importantly, I don't think whataboutism is helpful when discussing this topic. Many Tesla owners have an interest in energy efficiency and mitigating climate change, and try to educate existing ICE owners on the fence. "But what about Taylor Swift's private jet?" is not a particularly constructive response. Having an educated discussion about whether COP is even necessary for the goals of protecting the car's interior is on-topic and useful discussion to be had.

Having an educated discussion about whether COP is even necessary for the goals of protecting the car's interior is on-topic and useful discussion to be had.
On this subject, I'm surprised people didn't post the original suspected reason for COP.

The Tesla Model S/X original 17 screens were not automotive grade, and would start to form bubbles and adhesive would melt and ooze out of the screen if cabin temperature was frequently at high enough temperatures.
Tesla's Screen Saga Shows Why Automotive Grade Matters
You can see from data sheet of earlier version (pre-2016), the max storage temp at 100% relative humidity is 40C, which is exactly the same temperature as COP.
https://manualzz.com/doc/30594343/g170j1-le1-17---innolux-tft-display-specification-industr...

Of course, hopefully by Model 3 and for later Model S/X they improved on this already though.

Last edited:
On this subject, I'm surprised people didn't post the original suspected reason for COP.

The Tesla Model S/X original 17 screens were not automotive grade, and would start to form bubbles and adhesive would melt and ooze out of the screen if cabin temperature was frequently at high enough temperatures.
I did that on page 1:
Do any of you remember the issues on the Model S and X with the glue in the touch screens melting and dripping out and the cover delaminating from the screens underneath?

You are attributing to heat what is actually almost universally caused by UV exposure.
The damage is caused by heat AND by the UV. I have already taken steps to abate the UV by applying window protection all around my car. This also helps keep the heat down and minimize the need for overheat protection.

So again, the actual solution is a $5 sunshade - not air conditioning an empty space at all times.
And no one has suggested "air conditioning an empty space at all times" - it is about keeping the interior temperature to a less damaging level. Stop the hyperbole. When the interior rises over the 104°F (40°C) degree level, protective measures are taken. When it's not (which is most of the time), NOTHING HAPPENS!

And no one has suggested "air conditioning an empty space at all times" - it is about keeping the interior temperature to a less damaging level. Stop the hyperbole. When the interior rises over the 104°F (40°C) degree level, protective measures are taken. When it's not (which is most of the time), NOTHING HAPPENS!
If you don't want your car going over 40°C, then unless you're in a very hot desert, there's a very simple thing you can do: don't park in the sun.

I park in a large open train station parking lot all day. It's pretty much just a big rectangle of 6,000 parking spots. No shade at all.

My car regularly hits high temperatures. Today I hit 138. Last week I hit 142. Not a bid deal for me I don't use cabin overheat protection at all. The cars been sitting in that lot for 3 years already. I use a sun shade and that's it.

New M3 former MS owner since Friday, have the OEM full shades in. 145F with 92F outside is insane, the MS never went above 128F.
The vegan upholstery heats up like crazy.
Love the tech and go kart maneuverability compared to the 2015 MS, definitely an upgrade in many aspects.

COP was released to avoid overheating the interior of the vehicle, in case someone left a child or dog in the car. It's intended use case was never to maintain the inside vehicle temp for seats, plastic or other interior items. This is simply an idea that has gotten confused and propagated since.
I do remember talk of dog mode being created to prevent super hot temps from causing the yellow banding and delamination in the LCD screen in Model S. Apparently early Model S screens were not automotive grade and prone to failure. This gave Tesla a way to mitigate the problem.

I hope so. However I tried to find out if Model 3/Y have automotive rated screens and was unable to get this answered. I suspect they are not.

The 3 and Y screens are rated to 95c.

I am not aware of any instances of damage to anyone's 3 or Y from being parked in the sun. There have been hundreds of thousands sold and they have been on the road since July of 2017. We would be seeing melted screens everywhere by now if it was an issue.

Reactions: 804son
The 3 and Y screens are rated to 95c.

I am not aware of any instances of damage to anyone's 3 or Y from being parked in the sun. There have been hundreds of thousands sold and they have been on the road since July of 2017. We would be seeing melted screens everywhere by now if it was an issue.

Great link thanks.