Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Key Fob To The Rescue?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is great news for those who are having phone key issues.

I may be in the minority here, but I’ll pass on the fob. I love not having to carry a key/fob in my pocket.
Same. I haven’t had any issues with the phone key. Maybe some have less modern or a phone with a less modern OS that have problems that would benefit from the fob.

While I am looking forward to getting a couple of fobs, I am not looking forward to the inevitable backorders when they go live to order.

Same. I haven’t had any issues with the phone key. Maybe some have less modern or a phone with a less modern OS that have problems that would benefit from the fob.

Eh, I have a Galaxy S8, which I dont consider to be ancient and still have to regularly take my phone out of my purse to get the car to unlock.

Mostly, though, I want to be able to turn off walk away lock and not have to interact with the app every time to lock the car.

I did lock myself out of my 3 once with walk away lock. Threw my purse in the passenger seat and walked around the car to get in the drivers seat. Car decided to lock in the time I walked around (guess it lost the phone connection). Luckily it happened in my garage, so I just grabbed another device from the house and used that to unlock, would have been hosed away from the house.

The fob should have the a keycard NFC chip embedded in it so that if the fob doesn't work or battery dies, you can just hold the fob up to the driver's side B-pillar to lock/unlock and set it down in the proper place to start the car. That's how my wife's 2010 Toyota Prius' fob works... (well, entry is a key, but there is no place to put the key to start the car, so you just hold the fob next to the start button).

And if they did this, there is no need for a "backup" card... Your primary and backup are right there in the same device.

The fob should have the a keycard NFC chip embedded in it so that if the fob doesn't work or battery dies, you can just hold the fob up to the driver's side B-pillar to lock/unlock and set it down in the proper place to start the car. That's how my wife's 2010 Toyota Prius' fob works... (well, entry is a key, but there is no place to put the key to start the car, so you just hold the fob next to the start button).

And if they did this, there is no need for a "backup" card... Your primary and backup are right there in the same device.

NFC chip won't do any good when the Model-3 has no NFC reader.

The new fob will be exclusively bluetooth. If the battery in it dies you can call Tesla for a remote unlock or use the backup key card.

The new fob will be exclusively bluetooth. If the battery in it dies you can call Tesla for a remote unlock or use the backup key card.
I thought the keycard was NFC. All I'm suggesting is the Model 3 fob should have whatever chip the keycard has so it can be both a BLE fob and a keycard at the same time. Then one device is all that's needed.

Reactions: APotatoGod

Out of curiosity, if Tesla has no NFC, why does Apple Pay open up if you put your phone near the cupholder? I had assumed it was NFC. (I also thought NFC is a subset of RFID so doesn't really exclude NFC if it is RFID)

• Informative
Reactions: N5329K
You're missing the entire point....the phone key doesn't unlock the car for MANY of use so we have to dig in the app to unlock the car.
Or he could have meant "frunk" instead of "trunk". There's no easy way to open the frunk without getting into the app. So even if the phone works flawlessly to unlock, you still need it for frunk access (or get in, pop the frunk via the screen, and then get back out).

You're missing the entire point....the phone key doesn't unlock the car for MANY of use so we have to dig in the app to unlock the car.

Nope not missing the point at all. He was saying that the phone as key worked for him but when loading groceries he still had to pull out his phone. (Which he doesn't need to do.)

I fully understand that the phone as key doesn't work for a lot of people. Including myself who doesn't have, and won't buy, a compatible phone.