Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Key fob with profile settings?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I heard that the next update will include user setting memories linked to particular key fobs like on most upper end cars. I was really surprised that this feature was not already a part of this car. It may be the end of exit settings.

Or has this rumor been going around for years?

I heard that the next update will include user setting memories linked to particular key fobs like on most upper end cars. I was really surprised that this feature was not already a part of this car. It may be the end of exit settings.

Or has this rumor been going around for years?

I'm not sure how this could be accomplished with software only. Unless I am mistaken, there is nothing currently in the fobs that would distinguish among the two my wife and I have.

I'm not sure how this could be accomplished with software only. Unless I am mistaken, there is nothing currently in the fobs that would distinguish among the two my wife and I have.

Fobs for other manufacturers have unique identifiers built in, so I doubt Tesla wouldn't. I consider it like a MAC address on a network device. Plus, if you lose your key, a replacement has to be coded at the service center, which lends more evidence IMO that there is a way.

What is questionable to me is if the car sensors are able to differentiate which one to use, since I'm sure our home use-case is not unique where my wife has the fob in her purse and I have mine in my pocket. My BMW could tell which key was on the driver side even from the exterior (so the seats started moving when the doors unlocked - I loved that).

Looks like I was mistaken, and I am very pleased about that!

I'm looking forward to seeing how Tesla implements this. I hope our seats don't move every time a different fob passes near the car. The seats adjust fast enough that waiting for the door to be opened would work fine. Or, if some people would prefer the seat already be adjusted by the time they open the door, provide options for early seat adjustment and later seat adjustment.

This is definitely a big step forward. It also shows that Tesla is, at least to some extent, listening and responding to what customers want.

I'm looking forward to seeing how Tesla implements this. I hope our seats don't move every time a different fob passes near the car. The seats adjust fast enough that waiting for the door to be opened would work fine. Or, if some people would prefer the seat already be adjusted by the time they open the door, provide options for early seat adjustment and later seat adjustment.

The release notes say that the adjustments occur when you open the drivers door.

Got the update this morning and yes, you can now pair the driver profile to the key fob. The adjustments occur when you open the drivers door! Great improvment.

I didn't try yet some dummy scenario like, getting in the car, then having the 2nd key fob coming as a passenger... and openning the driver door while in the car, or complex scenario like that. So far it works well on "standard" approach.

• Informative
Reactions: Buddy
The release notes say that the adjustments occur when you open the drivers door.

Yes they do.

And unless I am mistaken or unless you also have the update already, the posted picture of the release notes in the 8.0 thread was posted by me! :)

Firmware 8.0

I had made the post you were responding to above (and being helpful, so thanks) before I even had the update notification.

OK. Just got the update on my classic. I can't seem to pair two different keys? Both my keys are listed as "Key Fob 3" when I go into the driver profile screen. I tried taking one key way into the back of my house, but it doesn't seem to matter, it still is treating them as the same key. (I tested the profiles out and both keys are now paired to my hisband's profile, no luck getting them to separate)

Edit: Never mind. It fixed itself, and I was able to pair "keyfob 1" to my profile

There's cryptographic process involved in unlocking your car and key fobs are indeed uniquely recognizable and reprogrammable. Turning this kind of profile recognition/separation into convenience features shouldn't stop here.

If I have a Spotify Premium account and my wife has her own Spotify too, the car should know to switch to her profile and account when she's driving. This is of course assuming that Spotify is coming to our cars soon... If Tesla can't do this, and my Spotify account is activated in the car while she's driving, my music on my phone will stop playing at home as I do the garden.

So has anyone tried more complicated tricks to see how it works?

I'm specially curious if both my wife and I approach the car, I get there first, but she goes for the drivers door. Whose fob would trigger the profile?

So has anyone tried more complicated tricks to see how it works?

I'm specially curious if both my wife and I approach the car, I get there first, but she goes for the drivers door. Whose fob would trigger the profile?

I haven't tried it, but I'll take a guess.

I would guess that provided both fobs are actually recognized, the fob that was recognized second will be the profile used when the driver's door is opened.

I'd like YOUR THOUGHTS on how the new Custom FOB Driver Seat should work?
Here are my thoughts.
(The new update is almost there just a software tweak or two.)
Tesla could allow for a selectable 'EXIT' or 'HOME' profile. To aid ease of entry/exit.
- As you get to your car:
1 You get in the car and your FOB is sensed.
2. You step on the brake then the car adjusts your seat.
2a. If the car senses two FOBs it shows on the screen and lets you select the desired profile.
3. You buckle up and drive away.
- Upon reaching your destination:
1. The driver unbuckles the seat belt (Car could also look to see the door unlatch.)
2. The car adjusts to the preselected 'EXIT' or 'HOME' profile.