Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Keyless Theft

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So the Tesla is fairly easy to take then, if P2D is not enabled?

All this super amazing software on the car but can’t come up with anything to combat relays?

Which Tesla are you referring to? The Model 3 "key" uses NFC (card) or bluetooth (phone), so traditional relay attacks don't work against them. For the Model S and X, yeah I'd enable pin to drive or use an RFID-blocking bag for the fob. Not sure if they've improved relay-resistance but those models have a traditional key fob which uses radio frequencies.

Edit: Or maybe the Model S and X support a bluetooth-type key like the Model 3 now? Maybe owners can confirm.

Last edited:
No fobs
Phone enabled as key
Phone nowhere near the front of the house

Why would that situation cause any issues? And why did you disagree with my post? Seems like you're overthinking things and have a basic misunderstanding of how relay attacks work. Hint: with the Model 3, they don't. They amplify RFID frequencies, they don't work in the same way against bluetooth signals.

Last edited:
Reactions: CMc1
No fobs
Phone enabled as key
Phone nowhere near the front of the house
@EVMeister is correct. Although not impossible the TM3 is very hard to steal and the relay attacks that have been used in the UK to steal cars with keyless entry won't work.

Best bet the theif has is to steal your phone and then access your car. As your phone isn't kept close to your car (e.g. hallway by front door) then you're already making it difficult for them.

Pin to Drive is a great final layer of security so that even if they do gain entry to the car they won't be able to drive away with it.

Finally, being able to track its location via the app is also pretty useful.

Theft is never impossible but the TM3 has more safeguards than most.

So why not just say this to my original post?

No offence, but maybe you have reading comprehension issues? I literally said: "The Model 3 "key" uses NFC (card) or bluetooth (phone), so traditional relay attacks don't work against them." You also didn't specify which Tesla you were referring to so it was appropriate for me to bring in the Model S and X which can unlock in a different way, just in case.

• Love
Reactions: LEE3 and Krugerrand
No offence, but maybe you have reading comprehension issues? I literally said: "The Model 3 "key" uses NFC (card) or bluetooth (phone), so traditional relay attacks don't work against them." You also didn't specify which Tesla you were referring to so it was appropriate for me to bring in the Model S and X which can unlock in a different way, just in case.
Ok.....model 3, apologies I maybe should have pointed it out earlier.

Yeh, all I wanted to know really, is if the car is open to these little relay rats knocking about

• Disagree
Reactions: LEE3
So the Tesla is fairly easy to take then, if P2D is not enabled?

All this super amazing software on the car but can’t come up with anything to combat relays?

If there's a lock, then there's a locksmith.

The FBI couldn't crack the 4 digit code to access the iPhone from the 2015 San Bernardino shooting.

FBI then paid a third party who successfully did that for them.

Last edited:
If there's a lock, then there's a locksmith.

The FBI couldn't crack the 4 digit code to access the iPhone from the 2015 San Bernardino shooting.

FBI then paid a third party to successfully do that for them.
If I remember rightly the number of Incorrect pin entries on an iPhone is limited before a delay kicks in. I haven’t forgotten my pin for a while so could be wrong!
I presume there’s no such delay in the M3. If there were, that would likely make any little brats give up

If I remember rightly the number of Incorrect pin entries on an iPhone is limited before a delay kicks in. I haven’t forgotten my pin for a while so could be wrong!
I presume there’s no such delay in the M3. If there were, that would likely make any little brats give up
To be fair, they looked at it and walked by. Hopefully they think it’s too much of a chew to take.

When I first got the car my neighbours couldn't get their heads around the fact that I got in & drove off instantly without 'turning anything on'. Since then I sit pressing the screen & it takes a little longer but feels more secure.

I prefer the added security of P2D & frequently polish the screen (using fingerprint smudges it might be possible to guess which numbers to try).

Last edited:
Reactions: Beady3647