Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Kia EV6 Charge Rate vs Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unfortunately, EA charging stations are infamous for their reliability issues; personal experiences trying to charge up my Polestar-2 or my R1T while on multi-state road trips, they mostly turned into nightmarish, time consuming hunt for working EA fast chargers. Easily wasted 90mins or more each way. I'm going back to Tesla with my latest EV purchase.

This is a big reason that I came back. My EV6 was a charging hero when I could find a working 350 kW station. But constant reliability issues made trips stressful.

But the EV6 and its E-GMP sisters are fantastic cars. The competition is improving at a rapid rate, and we’re all gonna benefit from it.

This is a big reason that I came back. My EV6 was a charging hero when I could find a working 350 kW station. But constant reliability issues made trips stressful.

But the EV6 and its E-GMP sisters are fantastic cars. The competition is improving at a rapid rate, and we’re all gonna benefit from it.
I am curious if you are a one car household ? I recently switched from Tesla to BMW i4, and I simply didn't care to take any EV on roadtrips. Last year I bought a PHEV for longer road trips, as even with the Supercharger network, it is painful to stop every couple of hours to charge. For example, I recently drove from the Bay Area to Paso Robles in my PHEV without a single stop. When I did that trip on a Tesla last year, I had to stop twice on the way (Gilroy and then Salinas), and also had to figure out charging once I reach there.

So, EA and CCS charging is a problem, but road tripping with EV isn't that great with any car

You could rephrase that as "road-tripping in an EV isn't that great if you have a bladder of steel". I was already stopping every 2-3h because my wife or I would need a bio break. I don't see a significant difference with my Tesla, I stop every ~couple hours for an average of 15 minutes, the time it takes to pee, buy a snack and plan the next stop. As long as charging is fast, it's reasonable.

The EV6 and all cars built on that platform seem great in that regard, as long as you find a reliable, fast charger.

Same here. Same amount of time to drive from Sacramento to LA in our Model Y versus Lexus LS 430 because our family needs a meal and bathroom break. Only needed to Supercharge once and it was ready before we finished our meal.

As for EV6 charge rate, 18 minutes is mighty impressive. IIRC, I needed 15 minutes from 10%-60% and 25 minutes to go from 10%-80% in the Y on a recent trip.

Yeah, my model 3 charging curve is too slow for me past ~60% SOC, it falls under 100kW. unless I really need the energy, it's faster to just drive to the next Supercharger. Comparing direct charge times isn't the best way, you need to compare 1000km drives like TeslaBjorn does on his YouTube channel.

Reactions: RayzorEV
I am curious if you are a one car household ? I recently switched from Tesla to BMW i4, and I simply didn't care to take any EV on roadtrips. Last year I bought a PHEV for longer road trips, as even with the Supercharger network, it is painful to stop every couple of hours to charge. For example, I recently drove from the Bay Area to Paso Robles in my PHEV without a single stop. When I did that trip on a Tesla last year, I had to stop twice on the way (Gilroy and then Salinas), and also had to figure out charging once I reach there.

So, EA and CCS charging is a problem, but road tripping with EV isn't that great with any car
?? Let's get a bit of reasonable perspective here.

San Francisco to Paso Robles is 213 miles. When I went here in May, en route to Los Angeles, I made a single charging stop in Greenfield and only added 26 kwh. (2022 YP) I then went to a winery in Altascadero that had a L2 charger, used it for an hour, then continued onto Pismo Beach for next charging stop (45 kwh), and a final stop in Montecito (only 18 kwh - slow charger) and then got to Buena Park. Charging added perhaps an extra 30 minutes to the min number of stops I'd be doing anyway, to go twice as far.

And why the heck did you stop at both Gilroy and Salinas? They're only 28 miles apart! I think your memory may be fault on this one.

I am curious if you are a one car household ?

Kind of. I'm a strange dude who lives alone, but I keep an old 2004 Expedition to pull my boat with. It sees about 3,000 miles a year, and it hasn't moved in the last 18 months without a trailer. It'll do about 16 MPG at best, so it's not a great choice for a road trip.

1672874419309.jpeg

The worst for me was road tripping in my '19 Model 3 SR+ because of the range. I made a trip in January once, and she was good for about 100-110 miles in single-digit temperatures. That was a hassle. My EV6 was much better in the range department, but I got very frustrated with charger availability and reliability. About 2/3rds of the time, I was able to find a properly working 350 kW charger and things were great. The remaining third of the time was maddening. This would have been much worse in the winter because my early-build EV6 didn't have programming to enable battery preconditioning. Without that, the charge curve is pretty ugly.

I managed 700-mile days in both my EV6 and Model 3, though. It's easier in a gas burner, but I don't mind charge stops as long as there are enough out there to make it convenient.

The ideal theoretical max charging curve of an EV6 is impressive, but good luck getting that anytime between October and March in the Northeast.

The lack of battery preconditioning (on the '22 I had, maybe '23s have it now?) makes peak speeds a pipe dream if it's even close to cold outside.

The ideal theoretical max charging curve of an EV6 is impressive, but good luck getting that anytime between October and March in the Northeast.

The lack of battery preconditioning (on the '22 I had, maybe '23s have it now?) makes peak speeds a pipe dream if it's even close to cold outside.

That’s a fact. They fixed this in later-build ‘22s though. Cars made after July had preconditioning, and the ‘23s have it. If I knew for sure that they would update mine to add preconditioning, I may not have gotten the Y.

But the deal was there and there’s no guarantee Kia will fix this. So here I am.